The Demon Sword Master of Excalibur Academy - Reviews

Alt title: Seiken Gakuin no Maken Tsukai

apoc9's avatar
Jan 5, 2024

Despite initial premise an incredibly generic series. Why I did I even watch this? Maybe I just was in mood to see colours flickering on the screen before my eyes? I remember only this much. The maid and dog were funny and brought some levity to generic series. The main girl very stereotypical. Main protagonist OP character. Hero, who got betrayed, killed and became skeleton daemon lord, put himself into hibernation or what and reincarnated as young boy shy around older females who try to tease him. He wants to rule the world again, but mostly runs around saving people and his harem. Let’s not forget CG monsters, lot CG monsters. It is very mediocre series. I don’t recommend this. Watch something else like Frieren or Maomao (Kusuriya no Hitorigoto) or anything else.

kilrazan's avatar
Dec 20, 2023

This is definitely one of those stories that was way cooler in the author's mind than what ended up on the screen. I haven't read the Manga so I'm not sure if it's just an issue with the adaptation, or if the manga is just as mediocre, but either way I'm honestly surprised I even finished this thing.

Story: The Dark Lord resurrects 1000 years later... but surprise, he's a Shota now for no real reason. Everything he knew from his time is gone, and the world has been reduced to a two-sided conflict between Humanity (and straggling demi-humans), and the mysterious CGI creatures known as "Void", which are very clearly just traditional fantasy creatures from his day, but corrupted by some kind of crystal that's never explained. The Shota is "rescued" by a group of girls who are presented as simultaneously some sort of onee-san/dommy-mommy archetype who are badass combat agents, yet also still underage teenagers in high school... because reasons. The story then follows their exploits as the Shota tries to integrate himself into the new world "to gather intel before reclaiming his throne" by joining the girls' school as basically their mascot. The conflicts are super generic, with copy-pasted CGI baddies literally appearing out of nowhere for a surprise, and the interpersonal relationships are extraordinarily stiff. 4/10; There really were moments where I thought it was going to get good, and then it just fizzled out again.

Animation: A very mixed bag. I don't know much about the studio's production environment, but I have to assume they were encountering all kinds of issues, because there are several scenes where they really demonstrate that they have skill and know what they're doing, but then the rest of it is just... extraordinarily meh. Like, even discounting the ugly CGI "Void" monsters, there's just a lot wrong with the visuals, especially in the later episodes. 5/10; Feels like competent animators that just weren't given enough time.

Sound: While not particularly compelling or memorable, the soundtrack and SFX are competent and suit the scenes well. It's just a hair above average, which is to say, not bad, but not even remotely impressive either. The voice acting was excellent, though, so bonus points for that. 6/10; I don't really have any other remarks for this category.

Characters: Fairly impressive concepts and origins, with reasonable motives and backstories, but mediocre expression. Most characters are already immediately flanderized the moment they enter the story - the side cast are all one-dimensional nobodies who only exclusively do their designated schtick and then step back off screen. The main characters are moderately interesting, though, and I do see the appeal of an ancient Dark Lord having to adapt to modern society in the guise of a student... I just don't feel that the show pulled it off. 5/10; Let them cook! Cut down on the meaningless action shots and give the characters some room to breathe and grow!

Overall: I really wanted to like this one, and just about every episode had a moment in it that made me think, "This is what I'm watching this for", but those moments were short lived, and the rest of the show was mediocre as hell. I have a lot of respect for the Author that came up with the idea, and I wish that I could've seen what that looked like in their mind instead of whatever this adaptation ended up being. 5/10; Pretty much the very definition of "mid"

Shimejii's avatar
Dec 19, 2023

Its one of those anime that isnt very good, but is far from the worst thing you may have watched.

Story is fairly basic, and straightforward, nothing that will be not worthy. Demon king reincarnates back into his world as a human, a lot of misunderstandings and A LOT of pretty low IQ characters.

Animation is just okay, its got way to much CGI, especially in some of the fight scenes, that just make it look  pretty low quality. CGI when used properly is fine.

Characters: Pretty basic low IQ without much comprehension ability.

Overall: 1.5/5 or 3/10. For most this is probably an easy skip. This does censor enough from the manga, but its still pretty much a close enough adaption

alexgausa's avatar
Mar 27, 2024

This was a slightly above average anime, it is what I consider filler anime you can watch while waiting for something you really want to see.  The story is ok, but be aware that a lot of it does not make sense since you would have to have a lot of super dense people to have it happen.  Also there are a number of contradictions that occur throughout the season with the dialog and story.  Most of the characters are likeable, the interactions between the characters and the MC are ok but not cohesive at times.  There is a lot of overacting or grandstanding that takes place which is ok, but the anime could do without it.  The premises of the story is fine, the individual characters are fine, the voice acting is above average, the animation is fine, again nothing to make this stand out, but they did not do anything to make it bad either.  There is a lot of action and fighting in this anime, though again some of it does not make sense or is not explained how they can do this or that, in a sense the action with the voids keeps the story going.  I would give an analogy of the story as a person who needs to walk in a straight line but has an ear infection so they stumble to the right and left over and over again because their equilibrium is off.  Enjoy!

5.5/10 story
7.5/10 characters
JustAkeno's avatar
Feb 26, 2024

Wait, could this get any more generic at this point? LMFAO I'm rolling on the floor laughing... I'm now rolling down the stairs... I'm rolling outside of my house.... I've rolled onto a motorway... I'm rolling around the world!

2.5/10 characters