The Demon Girl Next Door - Reviews

Alt title: Machikado Mazoku

Kamiofdreams's avatar
Jan 2, 2021

The Demon Girl Next Door takes a twist of what you'd think would be a typical high school, slice of life anime about a demon who is just trying to get by but instead gets met with a magical girl. The anime has quirky, comedy twists and turns throughout the anime, making it a funny and playful anime to watch.

The overall story revolving around a newly awoken demon girl and a veteran magical girl stems a beautiful friendship combined with the troubles of growing up, learning life lessons and just figuring out how to be the best demon girl there possibly is. Some of the points feel slightly forced throughout the anime which can take away from the plot and it might not be for everyone as the story revolves around young girls who are still in school.

The animation is fairly good, on par with most things released, the action scenes were well done but not a lot of them to go off of. Most of the scenes were lifestyle scenes or of the characters hanging out.

The characters have great development throughout the show, growing up and wanting to grow into their roles was a big part of the show. It was something that helped ease the use of comedy into the show while there were the comedic characters and the flat characters which made the duo perfect for each other.

Overall this anime would be a great watch if someone was looking for a calming, comedic magical girl anime with a twist or looking for something that isn't your typical magical girl anime.

iforinsignificant's avatar
Apr 5, 2021

This was an extremely pleasant surprise. The characters were a joy throughout the show. The earlier episodes were extremely funny and while the comedy may have eased off a bit as the show went on and the plot got thicker, it was a most enjoyable watch and I, for one, can't wait to see more of these lovable characters goof off with each other again. The two leads, especially, had some magical chemistry the entire time.

Edit: After multiple viewings, I have to upgrade my rating because of how much I enjoyed this show. I had planned to do a more in depth review after another viewing but I ended up watching it 3 more times before moving on to season 2. It's just THAT good! Everything about this show is top-notch. The story is unique and refreshing. The characters are some of the most likeable I've ever seen with absolutely sublime chemistry among them. The comedy is so well done that it works just as well on repeat viewings. The technical aspects like the voice-acting and sound is as near perfect as can be. The animation is a little bit lacking but they made it work splendidly.

I can safely say that this is my favorite anime and quite possibly favorite show overall because of how enjoyable it is, no matter how many times I watch. I think it is criminally underrated and there is no piece of media I would give a recommendation higher than this!

RaiZu's avatar
Mar 31, 2020

The anime was consistantly unpredicatable and always got me bursting in laughter and I just absolutely loved it.

Definitely worth a watch if you want something to chill and have a laugh but may be a bit boring to binge :)

apoc9's avatar
Oct 25, 2020

Daemon from the street corner is spin on magical girl genre turned into slice-of-life comedy. This anime was nice surprise, but in all honesty, it took me while to finish few last episodes. One year exactly. As a slice-of-life comedy combo it gets somewhat stale towards the end. Once you get the gist of the jokes and general feel. It isn’t as much funny as in the beginning. Nonetheless it combines light-hearted atmosphere with comedy based on the settings of not-so epic battle of a young girl, after awakening dormant daemon blood in her ancestry, against ferocious clan of light represented by a magical girl. This everything is done in the most hilarious way putting the whole thing immediately upside down and turning into slice-of-life about two girls building friendship. Because the source is 4-koma manga, the anime has to put some extra effort to connect things into some form of coherent story. More or less it manages, but even then, the thing is mostly a series of short stories with various comical sketches put into them. The ending is very predictably not changing anything in serious manner.

As for the jokes it’s pretty much hit and miss. Even if many of them certainly benefit from the fantasy elements put to deal with more real world around. It reminds me of Hataraku Maou-sama (Working Daemon Lord), but much less serious in regards to the fantasy elements. There is also element of poking fun of some magical and daemon girl tropes. For example, making fun of transformations and costumes.

Would I recommend it. I would recommend to try one or two episodes, if you like the humour it’s enjoyable at least one-time watch. By the way second season is coming, but it has to up the game bit, otherwise it won’t be interesting.

HungryWeebSG's avatar
Jul 30, 2022

The Demon Girl Next Door is one of the funniest Animes i've seen,it has quite an interesting backstory and makes me wanna go back to it every now and then. overall incredible