The Asterisk War

Alt title: Gakusen Toshi Asterisk

Add review
apoc9's avatar
Jan 30, 2016

Gakusen toshi Asterisk came out in hand with the Rakudai Kishi no Calvary, which is slightly better show. It is yet another unimaginative light-novel adaptation about schools, magic weapons, tournament and weak protagonist who is undefeated badass. Lately this stupid gimmick is so overused. I say stupid, because what is the point of saying about a guy, who never loses a fight that he is "weak". Story itself is quite boring honestly. It is completely open ended for other season or it is the case of read the rest of the source material ending. Not only the end is poor. The very beginning and forgive me for lack of better expression .. It begins as shit. I mean the battle at the beginning, which is never explained. Does make no sense at all. Viewer knows nothing and the show throws at him a battle scene with some generic opponent. The only thing is established is that it is sister of the main protagonist. The fights are not that great either. Except maybe the last episode, where I was mildly interested in the way how the main protagonists are going to win. I knew already they are going to win. I was right about that.

However that is just not enough. I didn't care about scheming of various fractions behind the scenes. I didn't care about romance between main protagonist and the "chosen girl" from his harem. I didn't care about friendship of his little sister with the other girl (the "not chosen" girl in love with the main protagonist). Lastly I didn't care for fights with CGI weapons. Especially since there was no balance. Some were clearly OP as hell.

Characters usual light-novel stuff with tsundere girl, OP main protagonist, etc. I can't think anything worthy of mentioning about them.

Animation was OK, but the CGI weapons were in my opinion slightly off-puting. Soundtrack was ok, but OP and ED forgettable.

Overall I would classify this as an average light-novel adaptation. It is easily forgettable, especially because there was other very similar and slightly more interesting anime (Rakudai Kishi no Calvary) released during the same season.

2.5/10 story
AngelBeatsYui's avatar
Jan 17, 2016

Warning this Review may contain spoilers

Welcome to another one of my badly written reviews but you guys still seem to enjoy them...somehow, to be honest if you like a harem with boobs and a op main character then this is the perfect anime for you guys. Don't get me wrong I actually enjoyed most of it but there are clear problems with story and how it was set out.

STORY

So the story, there was quite a few holes by the end of the anime, implying a second season to come but who knows. The main problem for me was they tried to cram so much into this season that it all seemed too rushed to actually understand half of it. Plus loads of unanswered questions still remain such as who was Ayato's sister really, was she that much of a big deal? or who wins the Festas that was ongoing that the end of the series...urgh now we just hope for another season XD

ANIMATION

There was honestly not much wrong with the animation but there  were still moments where you though that 'this scene probably could of been drawn slightly better', mainly when it comes to the shots further away however there were scenes that captured this long shot very well.

SOUND

Opening was good and catchy however the ending I didn't feel it lived up to that standard, but it was still good compared to some I have heard and absolutely hated. The voice acting was mostly good, there was some times where I thought, maybe that characters voice doesn't really suit them but that was pretty rare.

CHARACTERS

Ayato, one of the most OP characters ever, come on seriously it doesn't give the other characters a chance when they are up against him, yeah you have this whole limiter thing but still he can still defeat most people quite quickly. Yeah he lost once and nearly lost a second time but still....it's annoying, come up with a more interesting main. (It's Mahouka all over again). Now the female harem that developed...yeah they all have quite typical personalities so I don't want to go into much detail but I just want to say that the character of Irene I loved, she was just so different and her sister may appear as a bland character but still.

But that ends the review here, hope you enjoyed xx

-AngelBeatsYui-

PS: This is for the Monthly Marathon January 2016

CodeBlazeFate's avatar
Feb 16, 2019

Towards the end of 2015, two light novel adaptations became notable for sharing startling similarities between them. Chivalry of a Failed Knight was considered somewhat refreshing, occasionally playing around with awful tropes and channeling the power of competent screenplays and exciting directing to turn a school battle LN adaptation into something worth watching. Conversely, The Asterisk War failed to meet even the basic requirements to function as a generic work of fiction. It's barely worth the effort it takes to write about it, let alone animate it.

Before we start, I dare one of you to make a thread or a blog showcasing the exact amount of problems each episode has. Don't make a drinking game out of it, or you'll die of alcohol poisoning by episode 8. The show literally starts with the main puss ass lead walking into our Tsundere in the middle of undress, under the pretenses that she dropped something important to her. After she claims to owe him one, she tries to incinerate him out of nowhere, resenting him for the rest of the episode in the process. This sets a precedent as to how badly this show will execute and contradict everything, like being low enough to over-sexualize a 13-year-old who regularly gets slapped by her uncle and saved by Ayato, whilst simultaneously acting like her asking for a sparring match the main character she fought of her own volition before is in any way indicator of her strength as a person. Just to provide the illusion that broke as hell Ayato isn't obscenely powerful, they provide flimsy limiters that only work when he uses a specific weapon for too long, despite that he often goes past the time limit of the limiters with no problem until the match finishes. The show breaks its rules so often that its ravaged narrative arcs become that much worse. Even the interesting ideas this dreck presents aren't capitalized, let alone worth capitalizing on in the first place.

The world-building is easily the most fractured part of this dumpster fire. The tournament arc has been hinted to be a tournament in which things can get deadly and bloody for competitors, but no one gets remotely injured or killed, aside from that one pointless and awkwardly done flashback scene at the very beginning., if students can summon hovering screens with their hands for no reason, then why do they need to hold them, and why is there actual paper involved? The world-building of this show is some of the worst I've ever seen, as if the narrative wasn't already cheap enough with its trite nonsense, missed opportunities, and romantic mood killers designed to preserve a terrible harem.

Speaking of which, Ayato is as horribly characterized and intolerable as his harem, which is one of the worst in the mainstream anime hemisphere. Julis is a trash tier Tsundere who plays up that trope to obnoxious degrees, especially when she retardedly blows up her room in an attempt to scorch him alive for the crime of accidentally seeing her in her underwear. Saya is an obnoxiously possessive loli with all the intolerable tropes you'd expect. Kirin is an annoyingly squeaky pushover with a ridiculously lousy character arc As for Claudia, anything she has going for her can be boiled down to sass, sex appeal, and an insidious and mysterious nature that I guarantee this show won't capitalize on. The other characters are either stupid or wasted, with almost no middle ground beyond just being "there". Easily the most crushing case of the latter is Irene, who is a dangerous punk with a heart of gold and an interesting design. They go out of their way to do nothing interesting with her when it's time for her to fight our unbearable main lead in the finale, and the closest we ever get is how her younger sister keeps her in check, which has also been done a million times. When a character like her is the best character in the show, it speaks volumes of just how worthless this cast is.

Visually speaking, this show isn't much better. The colors are certainly bright, and some of the character designs can actually be pretty neat and sexy but the artwork is pretty miserable. It's a low-budget SAO and Aldnoah.Zero style with even shittier and more incomprehensible choreography, and even more all-encompassing fugly CGI. Much like the show itself, the visuals are bad at even pulling off being generic and mediocre, barring a few relatively dazzling environments. Even the aesthetics are gaudy and nonsensical, and the cuts of actually good animation are few and far between. At least Andloah.Zero had some flourish to make up for generic style and cheap CGI.

The OST is a mixed bag of vanilla background noise, awful dubstep, and ill-fitting emotional pieces. Even the OP is a milquetoast pop song, in spite of it being catchy. The ED titled "Waiting for the rain" by Maaya Sakamoto and Ramsus Faber is the only stellar bit of music in the show, as it's a pretty stellar emotional track to close out each episode with. If having one good track is all the audio needs to be unquestionably better than every other aspect of this show combined, then I really can't find a better way to call this show dogshit.

People put themselves through hell slaving away at this, and no one did a remotely good job beyond the musicians. That's as sad as the show itself. This anime isn't even infuriating or laughable, just annoying and lifeless, which is one of the purest tells that this has no value I can assign to it, let alone any reason to be watched enough to garner a second season. It even fails to live up to its title in any way, shape or form. How this got popular is beyond me, and I'm glad it's dead.

0.4/10 story
3.4/10 animation
5.4/10 sound
1.4/10 characters
2.4/10 overall
Itsterrbear's avatar
Feb 19, 2018

I don’t know about your guys, but I really liked the show🤷🏾‍♀️ I mean it did kind of remind me a lot of Sword Art Online. The main characters do sound a lot alike. I never looked into that part, so don’t come for me for it please🙃 it kind of upset me that the story is like still basically unfinished. I looked it up and it doesn’t really seem like they’re trying to go for a season 3😭 I just really want to know how things end you know? I just feel it’s unfinished.

6.5/10 characters
Nariplays's avatar
Dec 25, 2015

A standard Harem based in a highschool with weapons or Lux and festa's. Competitions where you team up with a tag partner and fight to win. Similar to Absolute Duo. I love the characters. Great story nice animation. I love Julius and Ayato and how she is jealous and wants Ayato for herself. (Even though she won't admit it) Over all a great Anime and what really did it for me was in episode 12 at exactly 21:32 Eishirou Yabuki speaks out loud and wonders what will the ending be like. This made me want more of the Animation and i am looking forward to season 2 if it ever comes :(. Overall an AMAZING  animation and anyone that is interested in a good old superpower, school, harem will enjoy this Anime very much.

Recomendations i would give you are

<h3 id="page_header">Chivalry of a Failed Knight</h3> <h3 class="h1">Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance</h3> <h3>The irregular at magic high school</h3> <h3 id="page_header">Unbreakable Machine-Doll </h3>