The Animatrix - Reviews

RabidMonk's avatar
Oct 7, 2009

OH SNAP!  It's the Matrix!  It must be awesome!

Do you remember those days before the second movie came out?  I sure do.  Ah well.

So for me the Animatrix fit in perfectly where the movies left off.  It's more or less crap that's hardly worth watching but if you stick around long enough there's a few enjoyable bits here and there.

Positives: So really, the animation styles are all kind of neat, and if you're really just into the whole art of anime maybe there's something here you'll enjoy.

There was one story of all the episodes I liked but I don't remember it enough to tell you what it was.

Negatives: Egads.  So I know what this was, and as a conglomeration of shorts by a bunch of people it's fine, it's just not anything I'd ever want to watch again (or in the first place if I could somehow take that back).  I actually kept hoping all the way until I'd finished the whole series of them that someone would impress me with something, but to my dismay I never did reach that point.

So the only real complaint I have about the Animatrix is that it's boring.  That's it.  There simply wasn't a single time where I thought to myself, "Wow, this is cool!" or even "Wow, this isn't a waste of my time!"  That's not good.

So when it was all said and done I just rolled my eyes and dreamed of a better day where the first Matrix never had a sequel and we weren't subjected to the maiming of what could have been one of the greatest sci-fi series of all time.

angelsreviews's avatar
Apr 19, 2014

It’s rather hard to talk about a show like this because it’s mostly like a range of different episodes. They may all contain the Matrix like style but there really isn’t much that connects them. From the story to the animation, each part is different and told in its own way. The movie gets more and more confusing as the stories keep going, making it hard to get what is going on. There isn’t an indication of if you are inside the Matrix or outside it. All I could understand was how pretty the animations were at points and how ‘crappy’ they were in others. The whole mix of samurai to space age, to computer simulations that look so real that it could be live action, all of that just seemed a little overboard.

Question, why does it start out with a man and women undressing each other with katanas? Is it just for sexual looks or is there actually a reason for it? Can someone answer this part for me?

The animation was all over the place from CG to Cartoon, to whatever. I felt rather bombarded by all the different art styles just as it happened in ‘Dante’s Inferno: An animated epic’. The only thing that saved this a little was that the stories were not all linked to one storyline like Dante. When I say Crappy artwork, I don’t mean bad artwork. I just mean stuff that really doesn’t look right in my eyes. The style that is so loaded with detail that you can see almost every line in the face right next to stuff that is very simplified. I may not be using the right word for it but I have no other idea what to use for it. Now the detail work pretty much is nice in the CG part, but I thought it never worked in the cartoon part of the show.

The voices are actually pretty well done and one of the only fluid parts of the show. They have voices that work out rather well for the mood that the ‘scene’ is trying to show. If it’s intense, it sounds intense, if it’s slow, it has that feeling. Some of the characters sound like they were voiced by some of the voice actors that were even in the matrix itself.

<input id="mac_address" type="hidden" value="">

kingofdemons's avatar
Nov 16, 2015

Story: Confused as hell I really did not no what I was seeing ya it have in each story something to do with the Matrix but very very all over the and to me just a mind blast

Animation: Alot of the animation was cool and and very good with the drawing I like that

Sound: Just good sound

Characters: I liked Cis Dan DAVIS Jue Thadeus Yoko Reporter Tom Trinity Dinah Kenny and Misha thats is it for all the rest where IKD

6.2/10 animation
2.1/10 overall
gmross's avatar
Jul 5, 2011

The Animatrix was a unique and fun experience. Although not exactly what I had hoped. It was awesome to see many different styles of animation talking about one subject (sort of). However because it is a compilation of several short movies it is hard to give it an overall rating. What I will rate this on is how the stories worked in conjunction to the actual Matrix Trillogy. I had hoped to see stories about semi important events that did not make it into the matrix movies. There were nine shorts. Of those had something fairly related to the main story. "The Final Flight of The Osiris" was about the closest it got. The Second Renaissance Part I and II was also cool. I enjoy origin stories personally so it was cool to watch. The others didn't really have much to do with the series other than referencing the characters. They are awesome stand alone works. I recommend it to those who like seeing different artistic styles. But dont go into it thinking you'll see the animated version of neo or morpheus. (Trinity appears though).

Shucurucu's avatar
Apr 25, 2011

Una increible animacion basado en la pelicula Matrix con diferentes verciones del director, la verdad que esta serie de mini capitulos esta muy bien lograda y con el uso de las computadoras tenemos una calidad muy parecida a la vida real.

Bueno para verlo como "cultura general".

9.5/10 animation