That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2 - Reviews

Alt title: Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken Season 2

Blueflamemaster's avatar
Mar 2, 2021

Prepare for some MAJOR slow burn, the beginning episodes are slow and rather boring, however things start to pick up in a VERY negative way leading up to an epic episode 10, which hopefully will make it all worth the wait. If you can get through the first 6 or so episodes you will make it to the good stuff! Will be interesting to see how much they fit into the last 3 episodes. Definitely looking forward to Season 2 Part 2 coming later this year!

Just finised chapter 82 in the manga, seems the MAJOR slow burn is due to them catching up to the manga.

At the end of this season they are already at chapter 70 in the manga. Hopefully season 2 part 2 will not be a TON of filler.

Season 1 covered Chapters 1 through 52.

Compared to Season 2 part 1 which only covered Chapters 53 through 70

ThatAnimeSnob's avatar
Mar 30, 2021

My overview for the first season of the Slime isekai was well received in every site I uploaded it. And yet there were a lot of people at Anime-Planet who kept commenting about how wrong it was, because I didn’t read the manga. Why should I? It was an overview about the first season of the anime, not a much later arc in the manga. Do I really have to point out how stupid this is? How would you feel if I was going on every person’s review of the first season of The Promised Neverland and I was telling them they are wrong in everything they wrote, because the manga is different later on? It’s that sort of mental gymnastics that can make an average person to give up on reviewing, because he wouldn’t be able to tolerate the insanity of the fanboys. Luckily for you, I am not average and I watched the next season where the big twist happened. And no, it doesn’t contradict anything I said about the first season, because it’s a different season and it’s definitely not an ongoing manga. Holy crap, anime community, why do you suck so much?

Anyways, I had said about the first season that it was a bland power fantasy about an overpowered protagonist who solves all the problems in a breezy, wholesome way. He does the same for half of the second season as well, until a bad guy cancels his hax powers with a barrier and a lot of his allies get killed by an invading army. Things are no longer hunky dory, he has to take his position more seriously, he has to realize he can’t solve every problem with hax powers, and he has to accept that he can’t save everybody all the time. This sounds like a great twist and all the author had to do was to not go back to the bland power fantasy.

…And then he goes back to the power fantasy and completely destroys the twist, thus making the show even worse than it was before, because now it comes off as pretentious. The only thing the protagonist had to do is to get even more overpowered. The invading army that seemed unstoppable was easily annihilated by his hax powers, and all his allies who died were magically brought back to life. Hooray for taking things more seriously where there is still no tension or negative consequences. The fanboys of this bland power fantasy will insist it’s deep because he was forced to kill a lot of people and to be more serious hereon, but who gives a damn when he can easily solve every problem with his completely broken powers and to dragonball back to life anyone who died? Oh, as for the part where he is forced to kill people in order to protect his friends, did everyone forget the hundreds of creatures he has killed already, including the father of the wolf who carries him around like a pet?

Therefore nothing really changed and all those idiots who were making fun of me for not reading the manga when I was reviewing the anime were full of crap. The show is still lazily written, it’s nothing special, it’s a run of the mill trash isekai for people who hate their lives and want to escape in a videogame where they are amazing and solve all their problems without having to actually work hard or sacrifice a thing. For a much better version of the same (supposed) twist, read my book. I also have a guy who becomes a leader and who doesn’t have hax superpowers for wiping out entire armies, nor he can resurrect anyone he likes, whenever he feels like it. It’s what the author of the Slime isekai can only dream of writing, because all he cares about is creating a bland power fantasy for gamer dorks, who will rush to defend his trash by making fun of anyone who didn’t like the anime, because he didn’t read the manga. Defenders of this trash, you all suck and I am both a better analyst of anime and a writer of better fiction.

3.5/10 overall
MechanicPortal's avatar

FUCK YES I NEED MORE NOW THAT THE FAMILY IS BACK TOGETHER
MOOOOORE FAST PLEASE

Grusomhed's avatar

Yet Another Cliché Intro

I am here to offer you my biased opinion on the first and the second seasons of ‘That Time I Got Reincarnated (Again!) as a Workaholic Slime.’ There will be hardly any spoilers, since my goal is to help those, who still have not seen the anime to pick it up.

Isekai is Dead?

That Time I Got Reincarnated (Again!) as a Workaholic Slime is a weird one. It has a rather slow start and taking into consideration that the mangaka Fuse, who is responsible for the story, has not been involved in anything other than ‘That Time I Got Reincarnated (Again!) as a Workaholic Slime,’ might make you think that there will be many holes in the story for you to find. To think so would be wrong, however. The story resembles a typical JRPG, which I am a huge fan of. It starts rather slow and boring, yet, it will reward you with an amazing story later on, if only you are patient enough. This exactly what this anime is, but later about it.

It is Not

Without a single doubt, isekai is not dead. Indeed, there is a huge problem with this genre for a number of known problems that are absolutely pointless for me to mention. This, however, has nothing to do with the story of ‘Slime’ simply because the story has great development. At first, you see the main protagonist as a somewhat foolish person, who has no guts to say ‘no’ to anyone and suffers because of it. Although, the only thing that matter to him is being of use to someone. This, however, changes. Rimuru Tempest, the main protagonist of the series, has a rather huge dream: he is planning to build his own (near flawless) nation. Obviously, many are jealous of Rimuru’s success and this becomes the main conflict of the story, which influences Rimuru’s development.

Humans vs Monsters

Another point the story of the anime tries to make you think of is humans vs monsters. Are monsters really monsters, or perhaps it is humans that should be called monsters. Simply because Rimuru is a former human, he has a long way to go for him to decide what is best not only for him, but also for the whole kingdom he is a head of and many many more. Long story short, what makes this anime interesting is the story that makes sense and offers the viewers a rather pleasant and well-developed story. While I have never touched the novel and do not know how it might end and what future TV season will look like, for now the story is near flawless and very enjoyable.

This Anime is Flawless

It is not. Nothing is. Indeed, it has story, it has OST, it has cute animation, everything. But the first and the only problem I see with this anime is its supporting characters. The main protagonist of the story, as mentioned already, indeed offers some good development. But this is not enough, there should also be supporting characters that will make Rimuru shine even more. Unfortunately, more attention should have been paid to other characters. Please, do not get me wrong. It is more of a small flaw than anything else. One can interpret this as a story of Rimuru Tempest, which implies that he gets all the development/story’s focus. It is fine.

Should You Watch It?

If you are a fan of good isekai, this might be a great pick. Though, you will need to be patient enough to see the whole thing, because it has a rather slow start. But if you still see the whole thing, this anime is very rewarding and you will like it. It the end, the choice is yours to make.

9 Slimes out of 10

Could have been much better.

TheRogueNob's avatar
Apr 1, 2021

Season two of the slime is here peoples and I'm here to give my honest normal dude review. So first off if you are a huge fan then nothing has really changed and if you arent a huge stickler for bad story points then you'll enjoy it all the same despite the 12 episode length. Otherwise for those on the fence I would say by episode 3/4 if you really bored and dont want to wait for something to happen then drop it, slime is already an incredibly slow show and this season wasn't any different. otherwise kick back and enjoy the slime gobble everything up for the 2nd season. Now tot he detailed reveiw

ah the animation, slime has to win the award for the literally sharpest art style, this can make things look really choppy. and to ruin your day in the op and for most of the character movement it consists of them doing a left to right moment like they are shifting their weight. WHAT HAS BEEN SEEN CANNOT BE UNSEEN. That doesn't mean it's bad but is it great no it does look nice though .

For the sound I liked the music but despite having the opportunity to fill the world with ambient noise they don't and that's a bummer it's such a quiet show. Mushi shi is my example for anyone wondering.

the chapters are .... really ok, I like them and they are fun but that doesn't excuse 36 epsiodes almost 0 human characters development moments with so many solid characters you'd think some of them would genuinely lash out at something but no they ALWAYS restrain themselves and ALWAYS make the perfectly righteous choice except for one moment which lead me to the story.

the story really was boring in terms of thing happening and then it became interesting then straight to face palm kind of feeling is a bad way to feel by the end. But give it a shot you may like it.

The whole reviving dead characters and sacrifice 20k people is stupid. He feels no remorse no grief no failure he just murder all those people not for revenge but for the righteous choice to revive his friends and he doesn't bat an eye. He never struggles or fails everything thing slime boy and friends have done up until this point has been 100% successful which means any conflict loses all emotion and gravity which makes the show even more tedious and boring on top of the hyper slow and I'm eventful episodes that make up more than 80% of the 36 epsiodes of the whole series

6.5/10 characters