Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee Reverse - Reviews

eaper's avatar
Apr 1, 2011

I did a review for the first series, and I will say, at the very least, this season is better than the first. They managed to take all the good things the first season had going for them- the art, the setting, the back story, a few of the better characters, and good music and voice actors, and grow on that. They also managed to fix the two parts of the series that made it almost intolerable- Lag's non-stop crying (oh, it's still there, but nowhere near as much) and the fact that they made the series into an episodic, letter of the week series instead of growing upon a very interesting story. Now, seeing that they have great art, a fairly strong story, good voice talent and music, and some interesting characters, you would expect a better overall score, but this is what this series fails to deliver- and sort of climax. There are probably a dozen different instances where I thought "man, this is pretty cool," but felt absolutely nothing. Somehow this direct manages to take any and all exciments out of all the marque moments in this series, which simply kills it. That aside, I loved the story, just not the person telling it. If you had seen the first season and managed to enjoy it, this series is definitely worth picking up, otherwise, the first season is not worth wading through to simply watch this.

8.5/10 story
Ebonyslayer's avatar
Aug 24, 2017

Story- The second season continues where the first left off, Lag recovering from his first encounter with Gauche or should I say Noir. The story sees a lot of progression during this season, which may explain why its a huge improvement over the first. Lag faces the organization Reverse, which was hinted during the first season and its awesome!

Animation- The animation has always been one of the strong points about the series and I think it got better. Examples would be the last opening animation, the brief fight between Niche and Roda, and so on.

Sound- The soundtracks for the show were pretty stellar, especially with the last opening and ending. The OSTs will go great when I'm reading the manga.

Characters- A lot of the major characters from the first season actually get some good development during this season, such as when Lag went to the lighthouse and when Niche got her origins introduced. During the season I felt that the characters got their development when it mattered most. Although its a shame Garrard's role in the story got thrown to the wayside cause he did have some importance. What's important is that the studio didn't change Lag's motivations, his goals at the end of the story, and that's why I can find myself happy with how the anime ended. It felt faithful with how they handled the main character, unlike how Madhouse handled Claymore, since they were both monthly series from the same magazine that I grew up with. It really sucks how they changed Clare's character at the end of Claymore.

Ultimately, I can suggest the Letter Bee anime for people who want to give the story a shot before getting into the manga, cause that's what I'll be doing, finishing where I left off in the manga.

8.5/10 characters
Noriko's avatar
Dec 22, 2014

Haiiii~ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ ♥

This review is a continuation of my Letter Bee review, Letter Bee Reverse is a sequel, so before checking out Letter Bee Reverse, make sure to watch Letter Bee.

So since I reviewed season 1, I decided to do the same for the second season :3

I'll just start off by saying that this is ABSOLUTELY one of my top 3 favorite anime of ALL TIME. I liked it so much, both seasons.

Oh, and this review might contain some minor spoilers, that won't really spoil your experience.

Let's start~

STORY

So the story is same old Letter Bee. Lag Seeing and his dingo (partner) Niche, along with Steak continue to deliver letters across the Amberground.

However, what I did not expect. Is a HUUGE plot twist and complications with the story. This didn't cause confusion thought, it only made the story more interesting and deep.

So what I absolutely didn't expect is that a bubbly and cute kind of story of Letter Bee turned into a dark and twisted anti-organization, conspiracy and corruption kind of thing. I will admit that the story is still based on a cute lil' boy being cute and caring for everyone, but it does have it's dark moments, which I didn't expect from such a show.

The story is quite better than in first season. It has more depth, it developed well, and it has a great ending. Honestly, I was expecting a typical happy-go-lucky ending but I am so glad it didn't end up perfectly for everyone

Without a doubt, 10/10

ANIMATION

So, in my previous Letter Bee review I noted how there's something special about the animation. The thing is, it's even better in Reverse. The environment is so magical and the setting is very mystical. I love it so much.

I'd even say that the animation is better than in first season. There are much less sloppy still images, which is good of course. Also, there's still something about character desing that I love so much.

I'll give it a 10/10 as well. I really enjoyed watching this anime, and animation is an important factor for that.

SOUND

Sound is basically the same. It still has that charm and voice acting that might be annoying to some. I'd say that OP/ED music is better.

I love the second ED song. It sounds kinda raw, and it almost feels like it's in accent. It's very catchy though.

Music really fits in with the story/setting/concept of the show. 9/10

CHARACTERS

Plenty of new characters, lots of old characters return or make a cameo. There are finally antagonists.

Also, a major character is back. If you watched the first season you probably know who I'm talking about. There's much going on with him. I like how they developed him and how it all turned out in the end.

I'm glad they developed secondary characters which was kind of expected and needed. Of course, this is a good thing.

So, most of the characters are the same. New characters they introduced only made it better. Therefore 10/10

OVERALL

So, I'll just say that these 50 episodes were such a blessing for me. I've been looking for this kind of anime for a loong time. I am so glad I found it.

I already said this, but this anime has what most others don't. And that's actually what this anime is about. Heart.

It almost seems like you can feel their emotions. It's really well done . . . (ok I have no idea if I actually took this whole show too seriously... but even if I did I'm glad I did so therefore shhhh)

This is definitely one of my favorite anime of all time. And it's very rare for me to like a show so much. ^^

Thank you for reading my review. I hope you find it useful. I would suggest this anime to anyone who needs positivity and hope in their lives (wow that sounded deep haha)

Rate if you found this review helpful, funny, or just like it. I have more anime reviews so check them out if you want!

Thanks and have a nice day ^^

furfeyl's avatar
Feb 27, 2011

I have never found an anime that I have wanted to like more than this one, I will assume you watched the original show and know all of the characters and the general storyline. The story, ah yes the story, it had so much potential and an interesting idea even though it is very similar to D Gray Man but it is way too childlike, if they had made this a darker anime with a little bit rougher animation it would be amazing. Reverse could be the epitome of anti-Government organizations but it falls short of having any real goal, the "All-Powerful Government" is relying on a 9 year old to do its field work, where is its military? But skipping to the animation I have to judge it for how it is, not how I think it should be, overall the animation in my opinion is nice, it flows and the characters seem to fit into the world they live in. The sound would be higher than 6 if it wasnt for the choice of opening songs, these songs dont match the mood of the anime at all and are very annoying in my opinion, cant wait to skip over them. The characters is what really gets me, I love Niche as a character, and her entire back story is really the only thing thats kept this anime afloat at times but Lag Seeing is such a cry baby that when it comes to the point in the episode where he just has to cry i find myself dreading it because it kills the serious mood that the show could have, any other character who could redeem the show is ruined by having one flaw that the creators decided to use over and over again, Gus is annoying in his stubborness and Dr Thunderland who I always thought could be a very cool character is ruined by him constantly talking about dissecting things.

Overall this anime isnt near as good as it could be, I was hoping once Gauche became Noir that the show would take a turn into being more dark but if anything the show has revealed large twists in the storyline but still focuses on Lag being a stupid little crybaby. Very sad for what it could have been :(

7.5/10 animation
MsNova's avatar
Oct 2, 2019

Letter Bee Reverse is the first episode title of the second season. Each season is about 25 episodes.

I gave my full review in Tegami Bachi Letter bee but I will say that all episodes emphasize the connections the characters have with each other. The giant bugs use computer animation which led a more artificial appearance in my opinion. With that look, I was always wondering if these creatures were not artificial, or partially artificial. There is a lot more that can be learned about this world.

I really enjoyed this anime and highly recommend it.