Tanjou: Debut - Reviews

Alt title: Birth: Debut

hamletsmage's avatar
Sep 30, 2011

There is a reason the badge for watching this is "Wrapping Paper is not hair". I realize this was basically a preview for a game, but it was so... bad...

Stroy: The first plot is about unrequited love, hamburgers, and for some reason, wearing a dress under an archway. It was basically you're typical high school scene. When I started the second episode, I was expecting more of the mindless high school dribble, but lo and behold, the plot had changed to something completely different. If you have ever watched Monty Python's Flying Circus, this was a similar experience. The new plot was so completely different from the first, that it was like the writers had created a fanfiction based on the original characters. It's because the episodes are Stand-Alone that there is so much dischord.

Animation: Like I said, the badge for this OVA explains everything. Someone was having a bad day in the animation office when this came out.

Sounds: The music was done by Seiichi Kyouda, who you might recognize as the music behind Sailor Moon (R and S). So, I got a bit of a nostalgic quality to the music, but that's about it.

Characters: These characters had such bland personalities. If we combined all the girl's into one character, she'd be ok, but apart, they are rather boring and you can't really relate to them at all. (Especially when their roles change between the two stand-alone episodes)

pikachu203's avatar
Feb 21, 2014

Let's make this one quick, okay?  This OVA is bad.  It's pointless; the animation is awful(wrapping paper hair, freakishly thick eyes, terrible movement, etc), the story is disconnected between the two episodes and is dumb anyway, and the characters are completely detatched, static, and unlikable.  It was not an enjoyable experience.

Do yourself a favor and save the hour of your life.  There are a lot better things you could do.  You could learn microbiology, or create a cure for cancer, or paint something beautiful and become the next Davinci!  OR JUST WATCH A DECENT ANIME!

That is all.

4EverDreamer's avatar
Dec 3, 2010

This is one of those shows you wonder why it even was made. The first episode story amounts to nothing, except for maybe a moral about not jumping to conclusions. The second story is about remembering the past. In episode one, there are fish that pop up for no reason. Also, the one girl dreams about being in a dress, but apparently for no reason. A lot of wasted time spent on scenery and animals, making it so slow paced and boring. Ghosts also appear out of the blue. This is an anime I had to grit my teeth to finish. Good thing I got a badge for it.

KeyAndKyoAniLover's avatar
Nov 28, 2020

(Adapted from my MAL review)

First of all, WRAPPING PAPER ISN'T HAIR! Ahem....excuse me. That's just the name of a badge on Anime-Planet that you can earn by watching this particular anime, which is how I learned it existed in the first place. Despite the curiosity I felt after discovering it, though, I ended up spending years trying to find it with English subs included. I eventually found it and was able to watch this pair of OVAs; however, it's evident now that all of that searching was not worth it.

Lads, ladies, and non-binaries, I now present my review of the 1994 OVA series, "Tanjou: Debut".

Tanjou: Debut, known in English as "Birth: Debut", is based on a 1993 video game of the same name where the player is a manager for three idols; however, nothing except its opening theme hints that this is what the anime's source material is about. Instead, each of its two episodes tells two completely different stories with some of the same characters. The first episode follows Aki Itou, a high school girl with a crush on an employee at a restaurant she frequents, who is told that said crush already has a girlfriend, and misunderstandings ensue from there. The second focuses more on Saori Fujimura as she and her two friends - one of them being Aki herself and the other being another girl named Kumi Tanaka - dig up a time capsule that they buried 10 years ago. They discover that inside of the time capsule, alongside each of their own boxes with their own possessions inside, there is a fourth box with a small bouquet inside of it, but they can't remember whose box it was....apparently.

Look, I have no problem with each episode having a different plot from the last; there are plenty of other anime that are similarly episodic, but they manage to make sense for what came before each episode and even sometimes be enjoyable to watch. Tanjou: Debut, however, doesn't do either of these things. Some aspects of the second episode don't make sense when you think about what was going on in the first, such as how the relationship between two characters was established in each episode; this disconnect is rather jarring. It certainly doesn't help that neither episode is that enjoyable in the first place; both of the plots in this anime are boring, highly predictable, and full of characters I personally didn't give two cruds about. As I mentioned earlier, both episodes have the same main cast, but both iterations of these characters are as bland as the plots and go through little to no character development.

As for the art....well, a quip about a certain aspect of the character designs in the form of a badge name is why I'm here in the first place, is it not? Not only is the artwork every bit as bad as you probably expect (with Aki's design being especially awful, in my opinion), but while not flat-out awful, the animation is very dated, even for its time; I'm sure that we all know that Studio Pierrot was capable of better even back then. Meanwhile, the music is rather forgettable, as it doesn't stand out when placed next to other tunes from the '90s; I don't even remember how the opening or ending themes go, much less what they were even called. The voice acting isn't anything to write home about, either.

Overall, Tanjou: Debut is a bad way to spend an hour of your time. Looking for it isn't really worth it, either, but if you really want to earn the "achievement" of watching the "wrapping-paper hair anime", be my guest. Don't blame me for not warning you if any negative feelings are born in your heart after you watch it, though.

2.5/10 story
3.5/10 characters
4.4/10 overall
Tyman2007's avatar
Aug 11, 2011

umm.... wat

So.... What happened?

No.. Don't explain... I really don't want to know.

Story: ... / 10

This show's attempt at a story was terrible. The plot was..... halfway decent, but poorly executed. I, whom have written probably only 1 or 2 stories (crappy, unreviewed and unrefined) could make something out of this that's better.

Animation: Derp / 10

The animation truly shows how bad of a day these animators have had. There is no consistancy within the characters really. In fact, I could've sworn half these characters look EXACTLY the same.

Sound: Acceptable / 10

Overall, the voice acting was acceptable. The sounds were very generic including the music. Some moments were made MUCH more dramatic than they needed to be just from the music alone. No characters have any distinguishable voices, but really now...

Characters: uhh.. / 10

Absolutely no character development. I walked away knowing probably 1 name. The characters look the same and they feel just thrown in. This really only works with a good story to back it up with great execution, but even those storied need to have at least some sort of character development.

Overall: durrr / 10

So.. Let me get this straight here. According to the tags and what I've heard of this anime, it's a romance... but, here's the truth. There is no genre to put this in except for episodic. This is a show that really needs to be longer in order to do anything decent, but you know what? The animation is so terrible to where I wouldn't even want to watch more than 2 episodes of this.. Each episode felt like they were around 40 minutes long, even though they were average length.

There's a badge you get for watching this show. If you watch this show, You deserve it.

0.5/10 animation