TALESHUNTER1's avatar
Jun 4, 2011

A Special little treat for a Tales fan like me.

As my name implies, I am a Tales fan, therefore it might seem a little biased, but it's still fair. The story is a prequal to the game and it is about Yuri's time in the knights. To fully understand some minor details, you would need to have played the game, but it doesn't matter, the story still proved to be interesting enough that non Tales might enjoy just as much. The animation is clean and nice, as expected from Production I.G. Shading might be a little scarce, but it is hardly noticable and a tradition of Production I.G.'s works. Oh yeah, I've never seen such epic blood before in an anime. XD The seiyuus did the voices really well and each one fitted the personality of the characters. The theme song for TOV is also present in the movie, which made me shed a tear for nostalgia. The characters themselves are excellent, with a few cameos from the game. The twins were an instant hit with me, perhaps I just have this thing for twins... well, I didn't like Futakoi (another anime about twins) though. Not to mention, the main character was already badass in the original game. His personality is excellent because he shows raw emotions (not like some people who want to save the world and is nice to everyone blah blah blah). anyways, you won't be dissapointed with the characters.

In the end, the movie proved a lot better than I thought. Anyone who wants a good fantasy anime movie will be happy with this.

8.5/10 story
9.3/10 characters
Ebonyslayer's avatar
Apr 20, 2019

Over the course of me writing this review I have also seen the Tales of Eternia, Tales of Phantasia, and also the Tales of Symphonia anime. All of which for the most part skip story bits and character development.

But Vesperia on the other hand is a different story. It is a prequel to the game its based off of, which is actually kind of rare. Makes it easier to tie the events of the movie into the game. The director and the writer kept it simple and direct, and because of this, Tales of Vesperia manages to become interesting to a degree, enough to at least enjoy the movie and maybe consider buying the game.

Animation- For the most part Production I.G. has done a good job maintaining their standards of animation. Its interesting to note how the movie shows a far more graphic depiction of violence compared to its game counterpart. It doesn't shy away from grusome occurences which have only really been shown in a very sanitised manner within the Tales series thus far.

Sound- The music is absent from most proceedings, however this serves to enhance its effect when it is used. Overall the quality of the pieces adds to the scenes.

Characters- The biggest problem with Tales of Vesperia is the characters. Because this is both a movie and a prequel to a larger story, there is little in the way of major development. That said, the two lead characters do grow to a degree, and anyone who has played the game will no doubt find the additional information about them pleasing. However, those who have had neither the opportunity or inclination to play the game will probably find there is a distinct lack in this department.

That's not to say that the characters are bad though. As a stand alone movie they work fairly well, however the open ended nature of the tale leaves one feeling that more could have been done with the time. In essence, the fact that this is a prequel, something which in terms of plot content is an advantage, becomes a flaw when considering the the characters as they an "unfinished" quality about them cometh end of the film.

Overall- This movie deserves some credit for being not only a prequel, but an original tale, as it could very well have been just another adaptation.

TrainerGold's avatar
Dec 10, 2015

I never played Vesperia so my friend suggested me to watch this movie, he says this is the prequel of the video game so I had a shot.

Because I never played the game I cannot understand who is that guy and what he/she does because the movie doesn't explain anything about the characters.

DavidWP's avatar
Nov 8, 2013

*Reviewed from an outsiders perspective as I know nothing about the video game*

The story for the most part seemed very slow and I was introduced to things that I had no idea about (like blastia) and some random cameo's from characters I assume are from the game, that go no where. It did pick up though in the second half, the two main characters were interesting and well developed, same with their commanding officer. Animation is great, soundtrack is great; from an outsiders point of view I really enjoyed it, though I'm sure fans of the game will get more out of it. It's just a fun film to me.

More in video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGHAusYXGTQ

BBFC rating - 12 for moderate bloody fantasy violence

7.7/10 overall
Garyuu's avatar
Jun 12, 2010

Warning the follow review is made by a "Tales of" fanboy. You'll probably like this movie if you are a fan of the game. If you don't care much about the game, you might not like it so much.

At first it didn't seem so great, but by the end it turned out to be a lot better because it started to tie in with the game's story. I like their decision to make the movie a prequel. I've seen the Phantasia anime and the first Symphonia anime, and I am currently watching the second Symphonia anime. When you make a short OVA series out of an RPG, you will have to leave a lot out of it. This movie was better because everything was original material, so nothing had to be cut out. The story wasn't perfect though. It just felt like not many things happened in the movie. If they tried the probably could have cut fifty minutes off of the movie. That might have bugged me if the movie wasn't related to anything, but I think I am liking the movie more because I'm a Vesperia fan.

I am a little disapointed that a lot of the characters were not in it. There were two character who probably got five minutes worth of screen time. They couldn't help it though. The story takes place before the game, and the the main character didn't meet them until the events of the game. The characters they did show were a lot better. They're personalities seemed really different. For the most part they were a lot better. Flynn was kind of annoying. Oh yeah, and Repede was awesome. He is a cute puppy, and still BA.

The animation was great, but some colors did not fit right. It seemed like the colors they used for the characters were really simple. They could have added some shading at times. Besides that, it was fine. Great character designs, but I was expecting that because I played the game. Also, they were designed by Kosuke Fujishima, and I always love his work. I can always recognize his work. All I have to do is look at the characters' ears. If you don't know what I mean, and haven't played any "Tales of" games, just look at the ears in animes like Ah! My Goddess.

I really liked the voice acting. It's miles above the English dub I had to sit through while playing the game. It just so happened that Flynn and Yuri were played by two of my favorite seiyuu. It was also because of the better voice acting, that helped make me like a lot of the characters more.

7.5/10 characters