Tabi Machi Late Show - Reviews

hamletsmage's avatar
Apr 9, 2016

It's always difficult to review collection-type anime because there are more than 1 storyline and none of the characters overlap from story to story. It's even more challenging when each episode is very short, but I think I can give you a good overview of what's in store with this anime.

Story: There are 4 stories in Tabi Machi. The first is the tale of a budding chef, the second is a reflection on a high school friendship, the third is a festival, and the fourth is a teacher reflecting on her career. I personally liked the last two, and didn't care too much for the first two, but I'll let the other viewers choose which ones they like/dislike. The stories don't have a lot of substance, due to the very short nature of the anime, but they are at least easy to understand.

Animation: The actual animation parts were pretty crappy. It has it's own style, sure, but it didn't come off as clean or enjoyable, at least to me. If the animation studio wanted to reflect paper scroll type animation, at least throw in some detail.

Sound: Not much to say about the sound. The OST was decent, and I didn't feel any of the voice acting was too harsh/too washed out.

Characters: I think only the teacher from the last episode had a lot of depth. Everyone else was just sort of riding the storyline.

Overall: It's ok. It's not something to write home about, but there are worse ways to spend half an hour.

Ryukami's avatar
Apr 19, 2018

Four short episodes, four short stories.

Each story deals with goodbye in different way.

• Ep1: Man leaves to Milano and promises to return.
  • Ep2: A girl tries to be friends with her classmate.
  • Ep3: Yukari meets her friend during Obon, the festival when the dead return (in spirit).
  • Ep4: Old teacher reminisces about all her students and thanks them for being in her life.

Animation is crude, but the style is nice.

Sound is good.

Characters are warm and nice, girls from ep2 are a bit weird, but it's kay.

Bonus:

Episode 3 broke me pretty bad.

Episode 4 nicely tied all the other stories together, by suggesting that the teache had taught all the previous characters at some point in their lives.

cbsgoju's avatar
Apr 10, 2016

Should you watch: no way

Tabimachi Lateshow is an original anime that is just very boring. It originally aired at 11:17pm at night and is only 32 minutes of run time.

STORY: I am not really sure what was going on as I watched this. I kept falling in and out of sleep due to the calming music and boring story. It belongs to the drama genre and has an overall theme of goodbyes and journeys, but it seems that it is just slice of life.

ANIMATION: Poor. I was very disappointed that in 2016 something of this caliber came out. I felt that I was watching something from the 80s or 90s.

SOUND: Good as the music was calming but all it did was put me to sleep, but I guess the music fits with the theme really well.

CHARACTERS: Nothing notable here, just a lot of different people with so few screen time I don’t even remember a single characters name.

OVERALL: I give it a 4 (bottom 20%). This anime sucked, so skip it. Nothing really good here, might be good if you are 65+y/o though as it deals with memories and such.