Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town - Reviews

Alt title: Tatoeba Last Dungeon Mae no Mura no Shounen ga Joban no Machi de Kurasu Youna Monogatari

Blueflamemaster's avatar
Feb 17, 2021

The random chaotic style of this anime leaves a lot to be desired. The main character is SUPER OP, yet constantly acts like he is super weak despite constantly doing OP things.

The first 4 episodes are like a mini-arc, ending in a ridiculous way that leaves you going WTF?

Just finished episode 6 and sadly nothing has changed. It looked like an interesting anime, unfortunately it has been a major disappointment.

It get 0.5 stars. Dropped at Episode 6.

natanickii's avatar
Feb 17, 2021

An issue with this anime is that we don't know what it wants to achieve. The first 4 episodes cover the royal family arc while also introducing the setting. The world building is pretty bad and it uses a very basic medieval setting and very vague magic system. The actual plot is horrific. It was so genuinely awful, I was shocked with the way it ended.

The second arc was the tournament arc. It was also bad plot wise, but not as bad as the first arc. The third arc is still ongoing.

If the plot is that bad, then we should assume it's not taking itself seriously and is a comedy. After all, a lot of it is dedicated towards comedy with its overused character tropes, but it fails in that department too. The first episode was decent in regards to comedy but the jokes are repeated constantly, to the point where you can predict what 'funny' things the characters are going to say next. You just start cringing at it.

The characters are all based on overused tropes and are all obsessed with the main character but the main character is too dense to have a real harem, so instead he has a bunch of girls flocking after him all the time. All characters apart from the main character are really dull and boring because they have no personality or purpose, they are mostly there for comedic purposes. The characters that do cause story progression have no depth at all, they are also surface trope characters.

The main character, while I wouldn't say he's deep and he is definitely the 'extremely dense' character trope, does have a sense of personality. He has his own worries and insecurities. While he is ridiculously OP, as the weakest in his village he often doubts himself, which does give him a very real sense of humanity. It does make sense for him to second guess himself after a whole life of being the weakest.

Despite its flaws, it is wholesome and satisfying. It is trash for sure, but I found that the first arc up until the end of it is addictive. After how badly it ends though, that just wears off and you have to push through the rest of it, it becomes addictive once more. I just told myself if I have gotten this far, I might as well finish it just so I can feel like I've completed it, but ended up becoming (sort of) invested again. If you just want wholesome adventure story or want to watch something addictive, then you should watch it.

I do honestly think it will be better by the end of the season though. There are hints at a deeper and more complex plot related to Kunlun, the village the MC comes from. So I will update this again once I'm done with the first season. But for now, it's not great.

Sugao's avatar
Feb 25, 2021

Story is nothing special or rather there is none. Overpowered guy wants to become a soldier because he loves hero tropes and doesn't realize he's overpowered. The entire thing gets annoying real fast since his "I'm so weak, please bear with me." doesn't make any sense. He's obviously overpowered and incomprehensibly dense not to notice that. Nothing worse than dense MCs and forced idiocy to make him stay dense even though things are obvious for everyone. This is making me pull my hair out.

I don't think I can watch this any further than episode five, which is actually a shame since the animation quality is pretty good. I'll give the story a 5 since it's at least funny from time to time.

yuckily's avatar
Feb 20, 2021

The comedy is funny but it gets a little old, nothing you can't handle if you like cliche anime tropes like old lolis and OP MCs

The ridiculous amount of power the mc has is satisfying and cool to watch.

there are a good amount of side characters and they're all different enough that they don't get melded together which is nice.

I only have two complaints:

1. there are barely any fights and when there are, the main character doesn't really do anything, it tries to do the one punch man thing where the tension and stakes come from the side characters fighting since the main character is overpowered but considering how little the main character actually fights, you just spend the whole time wishing he does. he kinda feels like a side character the whole time.

2. there isn't really a reason given for why all the characters that know about his power don't just tell him "you're actually really strong but it's the rules not to get involved for trivial matters so hold back" so the whole internal conflict he has by thinking he's weak just seems hella forced.