Stars Align

Stars Align
Add review
Kaboomboom's avatar
Feb 17, 2020

THIS ANIME IS GREAT! I highly reccomend if you are into sports, LGBTQ+, drama, and slice of life anime. It has a bit of everything and it's very enjoyable.

9.7/10 animation
sparksfly's avatar
Feb 10, 2020

Ooh, I feel like I'm not as much of a critic for giving this such a high rating, but I feel like this anime legitimately deserves it. It was amazing, it pulled me in from the first episode, and it only got better as it went on.

The story was basically about this underdog soft tennis team, and how they have to win a game at a tournament to stay a club. So when this sports anime popped up in my Hulu recommendeds, I wasn't sure what to think. I'd never watched a sports anime. I didn't know what to expect.

Luckily, I took a watch, and learned that the story was so much more than that. There were a lot of characters, and each episode was partially centered around one (or more) of their home lives. It tackled matters such as physical abuse, emotional abuse, helicopter parenting, an LGBT character, an adopted character, and more. And despite how many characters there are, they all manage to be unique in design and in personality, and they're all formed by their home experiences. They all keep you interested, and there wasn't a single character whose experiences or part of the show bored me.

So despite being a sports anime, it's really about the characters. That's one of the things I loved about the story. It's not just about the characters' soft tennis club. It's about the characters, themselves, and the soft tennis club. It's about how the characters develop, and why they act the way that they do. The only thing that made me knock the story down a number was that it wasn't always focused on the story, and that story arcs weren't resolved, although, admittedly, that's probably because the anime was originally meant to have 24 episodes. Hopefully we'll get a season two for that.

It's also easy to start out thinking that it's gonna be a lighthearted show without all of the drama that it has.

But the main reason that I did end up starting the anime was the art style. It looks beautiful, and once I started watching, I saw how smooth the animation looked with it. The art just has this beauty to it that I have trouble describing, especially in the theme song, where it takes this sort-of watercolour-y style that just blows me away.

The music. I could just say that. But I won't, because this is a review. It picked up at just the right moments, creating suspense, creating triumph, creating joy. And yet, at other moments, it stayed silent, making you feel like even breathing could shatter what was going on in front of you. (In the best way.)

I also really liked the VAs, and I felt like they made good choices for who voiced who.

Overall, 10/10. I would recommend this anime.

FallingIntoAutumn's avatar
Feb 9, 2020

All I really want to say is this story is so much deeper than it appears at first glance. Just watch the first three episodes and you'll understand what I'm getting at.

Instead of your typical sports anime that focuses on the sport and team compatibility this dives into the lives of a diverse group of very troubled middle school boys that happen to be on the soft tennis ball team.

Highly recomend!

octodoge's avatar
Jan 8, 2020

THAT FRIGGIN CLIFF HANGER AHHHHH DX

IM DYING

Amazing show but that ending is killing me T.T

z6ldyck's avatar
Dec 31, 2019

Stars Align is a simple anime about soft tennis with some dark qualities added to it... this anime focuses not only on the sport itself but also on realistic problems such as abuse (physical and emotional), neglect, LGBT, etc

Most if not all of the characters had their own individual uniqueness and realistic struggles which sets them apart from most stereotypical sports anime characters.

Apparently, the show was cut down from its original 24 epi run to 12, so the ending we got is a cliff hanger. Hopefully, we'll get to see a second season soon...

loigia4677's avatar
Dec 30, 2019

This story is so good! A definate great watch.

I WANT A SEASON 2!!!

The animation is simple but fluid, especially in the sports scenes. The movements of the characters in action looks realistic which makes you feel hyped af lol.

Story wise:

It includes the personal lives of each of the team mates which is interesting because you can see into what the characters doing and why they are doing that. So of the character's personal stories also relate to me alot which i can relate to them with their family situation. (Basically, the characters are relatable)

The story on the sports, is also realistic in the way that the team isn't op af and winning each round, i'm looking at you 'prince of tennis'. The matches are great to watch and gets you hyped for the team. NIce lol.

Ending: (spoiler)

The ending felt a bit rushed, but its inderstandable why it was so, because apparently the show was soppost to become a 24 episode series, however it was cut short because of circumstances. For example, the divorse of one of the main characters and the may-be murder of maki's dad. This left a dark ending after the wonderful match with the twins, but it still felt great overr the story. i did not mind the ending however, i know that many people had a problem with it. I juat wish for a season 2 to clear some things up and thts it. nice show overall 5/5. ;D

MelonX's avatar
Dec 28, 2019

This anime isn't just focused on sports. Infact, unlike some other sports anime, this places an empahsis on things that happen outside of the game as well. The anime deals with a lot of heavy topics that makes it unique. Amazing so far.