Starlight Promises - Reviews

Alt title: Yakusoku no Nanaya Matsuri

Halex's avatar
Aug 16, 2020

Not a great story, it's just average with nothing that makes it stand out from the norm. It just seems like a 1-hour tourist promotional commercial for the Tanabata Festival. They added some sci-fi elements to try to make it more interesting and to serve as an excuse to give the protagonists greater abilities, but they fail at delivering the graphics for such abilities, as the fights are unimpressive and it's just average animation for 2018. They insinuate the plot quite early so you can see the outcome of the story almost from the beginning, but the plot twist itself didn't have the weight to carry the mystery of the story further anyway, as we have seen this kind of story done better in previous animes, Anohana comes to mind and Children Who Chase Lost Voices. The reasons for the fights are quite lame, so it's the use of amnesia as a lazy plot device. There are quite a few plot holes that I cannot mention in order to avoid spoilers. I should also mention that the focus of the show it's more on the festival than anything else that perhaps, should be more important for the story, hence why it feels more like a commercial than an actual drama.

Overall, do I recommend it? No, although some people have enjoyed it as shown by other reviewers, which is why I give it a try, and also why I'm writing this review to warn others to lower their expectations. If you are someone who watches anime because of the graphics, then you'll probably enjoy this a lot more than someone like me, who watches anime because of its creative stories.

SimplySharanya's avatar
Feb 29, 2020

Not so time consuming (1hr 2 mins only). Beautiful and high definition animation with an engaging but not too emotionally draining or overly romantic storyline, interesting edo period like theme with an unpredictably gentle mix of sci-fi elements, realistic characters, ear pleasing musical/nature background soundtracks.

Good to pass an hour without being too emotionally invested!!

aeab32's avatar
Aug 18, 2018

This beautiful story is a real tear jerker - you need the tissues ready. The characters are developed throughout the story, getting hints about their past all the time. The storyline is based around a festival and tells the story of the past and the present.

KimGiKyun's avatar
Dec 19, 2018

THIS IS SO AMAZING!

IT'S MY FAVORITE MOVIE SO FAR

I ENJOYED WATCHING IT AND I AM READY TO WATCH IT AGAIN!

I RECOMMEND WATCHING IT BECAUSE OF IT'S UNIQUE STORY THAT NO ONE NOR ME EXPECTED IT