Squid Girl 2 - Reviews

Alt title: Shinryaku!? Ika Musume

Indecipherable's avatar
Jul 1, 2012

NOTE: The overall score is NOT an average of the other values

This sequel closely follows the path left by its predecessor. Not much in the way of story (don't expect compelling backstory or dramatic plot twists), just light-hearted day-to-day adventures of Ika and the gang. Expect a hearty dose of humor.

Brightly-coloured and fluid, the animation does a fine job of conveying the feelings of the characters on their faces. Nothing too fancy or distinct, just suitable.

The background music complements the on-screen events with subtlety. Upbeat when needed, slow and somber during sad moments. I particularly enjoyed the opening song, but that's just personal preference. Other than that, the voice actors do a very good jod in conveying the feelings and quirks of their respective characters, never sounding bored or over-enhusiastic. Of course, Ika's cute trademark "-de geso" makes a reappearance.

In the final episode, Chizuru notes: "Hasn't Ika Musume become the center of our lives?". That statement couldn't be more true. The show revolves around Ika, with the other characters simply being there to explore (and exploit) her distinct traits. Everyone has their roles, and Ika is the wildcard. However, this is by no means a bad thing. Ika is loveable and adorable, even when scared or depressed. Her (mis)adventures are humorous and entertaining, making the show a very enjoyable watch.

Overall, this show is highly recommendable to anyone looking for a small, light-hearted anime. If you liked the previous season, you will find something to love in this one too. If not, I feel sorry for you, for being such a dark-natured individual. Go back to watching Evangelion. :P

CaptainSlow's avatar
Jul 24, 2013

What I Liked: Consistent animation, bright simple visuals, good (but plain) character designs, great voice acting (especially from Hisako Kanemoto, the VA for Ika Musume / Squid Girl, and Rie Tanaka, the VA for Chizuru), unique characters (in terms of personalities, anyway). The transition from silly to serious in the last episode was less jarring than in the first season.

What I Didn't: Slight quality drop in animation, but not something that annoyed me too much. Opening theme was grating and less likeable than the first season's cutesy OP.

Final Verdict: While it brings nothing new to the table nor improves on its previous season, Squid Girl Season 2 still entertains and teases out a few laughs. A good companion to the first season.