Spiritpact: Bond of The Underworld - Reviews

Alt titles: Ling Qi 2nd Season, Soul Contract: Yomi no Chigiri

Helbaworshipper's avatar
May 14, 2018

Oh boy...

When this wasn't mentioned anywhere in the forums, I started to wonder if anyone was planning to watch it.  And let's get one thing out of the way here:  If you didn't like season one at all or dropped it...  This season has no reason to grab you.  It literally is a direct sequel where you are expected to have known what happened the previous season.  Nothing has changed in the story beyond the continuation of the Youmeshi and his attempt not to look too into his spirit shadow You Keika.

The Story:

This time around we have a story surrounding Tamoku Ki more than his spirit shadow.  Last season we reflected on the origins of the Youmeshi family.  This season is around the exploits of the once young Youmeshi and what happened with his previous relations to a bodyguard known as Shouken.  The story is spread over the twleves episodes, so prepare for there to be somewhat of a buildup to a somewhat unexpected fight.

This story would have have been good if there was a reason for the spiritshadow to do something other than constantly tease the shonen ai by kissing a lot.  We get some cool concepts and we learn that many things are somehow meant to be.  It's not a great story, but it's not too complicated by the end.  It's average at best and pretty dull it's worst.

The Characters:

Surprisingly there's some character development from a few already existing characters.   The entirety of the Youmeshi family gets some representation this time round.  Including the former spiritshadows and resident demons.  This doesn't mean it's a great character development, but it does enough to justify the animation and screentime spent on them.

The most is done in the form of the sister of the Youmeshi, who was once pretty much an evil looking character.  Her arc is alright and it does have a fairly satisfying conclusion.  The usual for the duo of spiritshadow and Youmeshi though... It's the usual.  It doesn't go as far as it should and it doesn't do nothing.

Animation/music:

The character models are alright and pretty much the same as last time.  There's a few new outfits and such, but nothing to note to look at.

The fights are as usual...  Not that great.  They exist and sort of look like fights.  They don't last that long and most often it just feels like they're not even worth much.  It isn't terrible, but it's not really something to watch for the fight choreography.

The new opening is skippable.  The rest of the music seems like it was recycled from the first season.  Nothing wrong with that, but... nothing stands out.

Overall:

With barely anything added beyond a new sort of story arc, this isn't something to seek out.  Check the first season and if you want to try, do this one.  Otherwise, it won't really be that enteraining.  It's close to average, but it's not amazing.

LailanD's avatar
Apr 15, 2021

I love it. It's awesome. No matter how many times I rewatch it, it's still the same; soft, tragic and heartwarming. I really, really, thank the creators for making such a good anime. I hoped a lot for a season 3, but only wished if the director hadn't changed the story. However, this anime is very lovely, and every, however much appreciation is countless, limitless and infinite for it. Spirit pact is the best BL I have ever watched and along with Given, I think it's one of the best chinese x japanese masterpiece. I love it and I'll always remember it and keep on yearning for more.

Loved the ending illustrations! and You Keika and Tanmoku Ki are my favorite ship, I love love love them!! TvT

Only if there was a season 3... XwX But it's fine, as long as the manhua runs.

Once again, guys, whoever has not watched this yet and has it on your wtw list, I say, you haven't seen the purest love in your entire life. If you haven't seen You Keika and Tanmoku ki's love for each other, you haven't seen a real, pure love. Really, watch this now! Give it a try and I bet on my life, you're not gonna regret it. You will definitely love this cool anime for the rest of your life~

cloudedskies's avatar
Mar 13, 2021

I loved this anime soo much and i wish there was a season three >:(

cryingstars's avatar
Dec 16, 2023

literally not bl/shounen-ai when the author has even stated it's not either and it's straight-up bl bait. do not recommend watching or reading this but if you want something to read or watch because you're bored, go for it. other than that, don't bother.

XxShenQingQiuxX's avatar
Jan 11, 2021

This anime was amazing! To start off, both the openings were fabulous! They were a work of art! The two seasons were great, but to be honest I wanted it to be longer. The characters were great! Loved the looks, and their personalities, especially Ki and You Keika. LOL, every time You Keika said something and Ki got mad, it made me burst out laughing. I really recommended people to watch this!!!