So I'm a Spider, So What? - Reviews

Alt title: Kumo desu ga, Nanika?

Mrukliwy's avatar
Feb 22, 2021

The 5 like my review is neutral. Neither good nor bad!

While the OG manga is focused purely on the spider lady, the Anime is a mix of the little spider and her friends from school (i guess 50/50 so far, 7 episodes).

It's ok if you did read the manga and wan't to know more about the whole situation, but for new ppl it's quit a mess, the story about the lady is rushed and you'll skip a lot of her development. I just hope the manga won't turn towards the Anime, bcs I'm not interested in her school comrades (all hero like, born mostly in royal or very rich families + comfy lives = a lot of talking, moral dillemas and issues among the others). For example, I don't like this approach. Idle talk is not my thing.

Animation is edible but a bit childish and simple (like World of Warcraft in 2021), although the Voice Acting is ok, espiecially lady spider :)

ImRandomJean's avatar
Apr 1, 2021

About a normal otaku student that dies with all her class and reincarnates in another world, the problem is that she becomes a spider and has to fight to live since her birth as a spider. She will then fight and evolve for the sake and survival by acquiring new skills and titles and maybe discover the secret of this world.

I didn’t watch an anime since years ago so I don’t know if it’s always like that but there is too much text for me and I don’t have time to think (I’m used to thinking a lot while reading mangas sometimes so It’s maybe my fault but yeah). There is a huge problem with the pace, when there is a fight, it’s “boom, bam pow, attack, a lot of text for the level up and because the character thinks, boom bam” and when it’s the viewpoint of the other reincarnated students, it’s “oh, let’s take 20minutes to show them talk about their past or to show how they train yay!”

This contrast created in the first episode becomes better after but is still here..

There are also things they don’t explain clearly and it seems to be obvious if you’ve read the ln or manga but I didn’t read it before.

As far as I’m concerned, the animation and chara-design are only good for the female lead (the monsters are.. oof). I would put 8-9 for the spider, 3 for the monsters and 5-6 for the others.

For the characters, first I wondered if I was dreaming because they are so stupid and seem to have had a personality crisis when they reincarnated but at least now I understand that their memories and personality fused with the people in which they reincarnated. (it wasn’t explained so maybe it’s not that) And that explains why our protagonist, who was just born keeps her personality from her previous life, while the others share the pains and anger of the body they have now.
(Imagine being a normal student reincarnated as a demon king who has killed “a lot”. Now you find it more natural to kill or imagine being in the body of someone who had resentment and jealousy, now you find it better to betray or hate; and yes, that’s what happens for some of them)

The only smart and likable characters are the bully reincarnated as a little dragon and the main character which is a cute, funny, and competitive spider mc!! So cool! (Even cringe sometimes but I don’t mind)

In fact, it’s really funny and interesting. There are many refs and the mc isn’t an “op character that never loses” (contrary to That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Smile, which was also really fun to read and watch), which makes it a lot better and entertaining
I was so hyped up and liked this anime.

Umarurin's avatar
Apr 2, 2021

I jumped into this anime expecting only your average isekai. But, to my surprise its structured quite uniquely.

It jumps between the human classmates and the main characters progression. As boring as it is to watch the classmates discuss things, I think it helps us get a grasp of what happened and room for speculations. With hints from the humans I had realized a ton of important things. I also personally believe just watching a spider grind for 10 something episodes could prove repetitive and boring, and the classmates give you constant hints to possible outcomes later on. Its just refreshing to actually get to look away from the cave instead of being in a dark cave for 20 minutes. The pace of the anime is very slow, but its still entertaining.

Otherwise, the animation is fine. Its pretty average, but the CGI is kinda... yeah.

The characters themselves are fine, humans are quite average and most of them arent too unique, but some of them arent exactly boring. The humans are fine and normal nothing special, main character is pretty cute for a spider. The monsters are fine, not bad but not amazing either.

In terms of being a watcher the anime is enjoyable to kinda just sit back on, at the very least for the first 10 something episodes you could treat it as watching a slice of life with action if you really wanted to.

Beth0410's avatar
Mar 17, 2021

I was not to sure if I would like this when I decided to watch it on a whim. I liked it a lot more than I expected. What I like most is that the main character becomes stronger by herself, makes it more interesting for when she would meet with the others.

RyuujenTheMagician's avatar
Mar 17, 2021

I picked this up right after the 10th episode aired, and I'm thankful I did it at that point and not a week sooner. There is a lot of not-so-entertaining exposition in the beginning and that doesn't resolve until around EP 10. However, if you stick with it and get to that point all of it pays off.