Snow White with the Red Hair - Reviews

Alt title: Akagami no Shirayuki-hime

haize78's avatar
Sep 26, 2015

Akagami no Shirayukihime isn't original in the least; everything is highly predictable, from the plot to the characters' reactions. And yet I'm rating it 6/10. I guess because I just finished watching it and I've got a smile on my face. It's so full of naive good intentions and genuinely positive feelings that it's kind of disarming in the end.

The plot is a conventional fairy tale whereby girl meets prince who saves her from bad guy and - after some minor mishaps - they fall in love. The characters are exactly what you would expect them to be, sweet and brave and honest and very caring about each other and true to themselves. Everything is as it should be, totally by the book. No interesting topics, no moral dilemmas, nothing unusual or thought-provoking. I won't deny I found it annoying at the beginning and was tempted to drop it. But after a while, despite myself, I found myself caring for the characters. So if you can put on a hold your adult cynicism and combine this with a liking for romantic fairy tales, I think it's an anime you might enjoy.

4.5/10 story
PurplePeopleEater's avatar
Aug 6, 2015

First impression, oh crap this is a Japanese anime version of Disney….. I should just turn this off right now. I mean the name itself is referencing a fairy tale but still. Well luckily, it was worth keeping on. The first episode certainly feels like it’s referencing several different movies, but it becomes its own story as it continues. Even though it doesn’t seem like it would have any good action scenes, the sword fights are pretty good.

The characters begin developing early on which is nice. By the fourth episode, you have a decent understanding of the main characters. The two main characters are appealing, relatable, and charming and the supporting characters come in a nice variety.

The beginning of the story is like a redone version of Snow White, at least what I know about Snow White. I never cared for Disney as a kid, so although I recognized some similarities to other fairy tales and movies in the first episode or two, I can’t say for sure which ones or that there isn’t a whole lot more. Either way, it does develop into its own story (unless I’m really clueless). So far, the first five episodes have been enjoyable and I look forward to the rest of the season.

I’ve been writing reviews like every day lately so I’m keeping this one short, sorry. I will update this when the season is over with an overall review.

Starletka's avatar
Dec 24, 2016

STORY:

The story follows Shirayuki, a cute, talented pharmacist with unusually red hair that attracts attention wherever she goes. The prince of the country chooses her to be his concubine against her will, and so she's left with no choice but to escape. On the run she befriends a kind boy named Zen, only to find out he's a prince himself. Zen helps Shirayuki fight off the evil pursuer and provides her with a place to live. As the two grow closer and closer, passing various trials, a romance starts to bloom between them.

Let me just say that more happens in the first episode than what usually takes a show a full cour. The rest of the plot slows down considerably, picking up a pleasant pacing, not rushing the delicate development of the romantic subplot. True, the story is filled with many clichés, but that can be easily forgiven, because the show is really cute and romantic and the relatioship between the two main characters progresses nicely and healthily, so it's easy to turn a blind eye. Oh, by the way, here's a fun little game: take a shot every time Zen miraculously appears to save the day.

ANIMATION:

The animation is simply stunning. Especially the backgrounds, such as towns or nature are always beautiful. The character design is also fairly realistic. There are no giant eyes, antigravitational hair, or disproportional bodies.

SOUND:

I can't stress enough how amazingly pleasant Shirayuki's voice is. It's definitely a nice change from the usual screaming female charas. But even the other characters have quality dubs. Although absolutely forgettable, the opening and ending were nice, fitting the overall theme.

CHARACTERS:

The heroine, Shirayuki, is very likable. She's kindhearted, hardworking, and gentle, but she's not just a passive eye-candy like a fairy tale princess, and she can fight her own fights using her brain and skills rather than brute force. Then there's Zen, the main love interest, who doesn't treat the heroine like shit, doesn't force her to do things she doesn't want to do, and doesn't even call her names, which is extremely rare in shoujo genre. Their whole relationship is actually refreshing, based on mutual trust and respect.

The other characters are way too black or white for my taste. It's very easy to tell who's the good guy and who's the bad guy, becuase the bad guys are always over the top bad (violent, kidnapping, threating rape...). The good charas, on the other hand, are always brave and kind and ... well, I wouldn't say flawless, but they're always trying their hardest. The only exception is Prince Izana, who somehow goes back and forth between the two, but you know he's a good guy, too. But yeah, he's the only one who's at least slightly complex.

OVERALL:

I won't lie, I was actually slightly worried when I started this show, because I feel like I've overgrown the shoujo genre, but luckily my worries passed soon. I had a really nice time watching this show, and I'm happy to finally write a positive review for Secret Santa. I'll definitelly watch the second season. Thank you, Santa!

Watched for the AP Secret Santa 2016

Thrawn's avatar
Dec 25, 2018

Story: I'll bring you up to speed.

There's a girl named Red, or Shiro-Shirayuki or just simply Red, who is a herbalist, one of them medicine workers in the olden days who work in apocthearies. Not really a doctor or an alchemist even though the last one is different- But a herbalist, who deals in... herbs. Literally. She's rocking a shop, being all nice, kind and perfect and everybody loves her. Then some douche named Prince Douche goes all "Shit son, her sexy red hair is so sexy, I gotta have it. She gon be my conc! Ubine." Then he sends a goon to tell her to dress nicely for a time, or something implying some bumping uglies going on later. So she cuts her hair and dips out of dodge because that guy can eat a sack of herbal dicks. She ran off to a different kingdom, befriended the prince there and then they get into some episodic adventures while building up on some wholesome vanilla romance.

Basically, Red flees to another kingdom to avoid the pervy advances of a douche noble and gets into herbal adventures with the prince of said another kingdom.

That's pretty much it, everything else is details.

So the deets: The main consistent thing is the relationship between Zen (Second Prince, cool guy) and Red (Herbalist, actual likable heroine WTF), their genuine interactions that feel wholesome, them caring about each other and having a nice repetoire that doesn't feel forced. This is the general foundation of which the anime builds it's house on. From wanting to help the other out because they want to and not for personal gain, for not abusing the difference in standing, everything is done out of the goodness of their heart.

That consistency is money. Add to the fact that they're both good, decent, likable characters that have solid interactions and relationships with others that don't make you hate said others. This is like taking a trip to Flavortown. With that as the overarching plot, as sweet and diabeetus as it is, the meat of the episode is somewhat episodic. Not purely so as it builds on relationships while sometimes introducing characters that end up as secondaries and mainstays or have cameos throughout. A lot of it is just for the moment but it's that moment that builds on the relationship while sometimes providing tidbits about the world or what it means to be one with such unique features or being of royalty (The latter one should know at least). As it went on, my qualms decreased and eventually it didn't bother me. Because of the characters. It makes the characters of a lot of other shoujo crap look like a bag of hot sun-burnt dicks.

Animation:

It might be because I watch a lot of shit with shit animation or old shit with questionably shit animation with good art direction, but this shit has good animation, direction and all that good shit. It's smooth, syncs up nicely and doesn't take shortcuts with animation and cheap out. Even early on it has a guy get smacked and spun right round like a record on a corkscrew. It's like a flowing river and remains consistent in fights. In moments of just talking and discussion, it doesn't look chintzy. Plants look good, gorgeous even. They look like they belong in the background and not just as a feature that pops out just because it's meant to be interacted with. And it's not just that but the characters themselves. They look DAMN good, and I don't just mean the ladies. Even though Red has her hair and her amazing green eyes. Snow white-haired prince and the facial expressions they use are both comical and fitting for the animation style. Basically, everything works.

Sound: I have the least to say about this but it's:

• Nice
  • Good sounding
  • Clear
  • Crisp
  • Consistent in quality
  • Cornucopia of craftsmanship

It's just incredibly solid.

Characters: I already gushed on the mains so I'll leave them be. The side characters whose names mostly escape me are quite good. Said interactions with others and they get in some great serious and/or comedic moments. Even minor (Yet plot important) characters get a shining moment or enough to define them, even if it's just for an episode. But not all minors are equal, and that's no problem; they're minors! But what is important that those who aren't total scumbags aren't whiny pissant pisspot pissmires. And THAT is key to everything: It's difficult to find someone so hateable because at worst, you tolerate the non-douchebags.

I had something else to say here but I forgot it.

Overall: I keep on hitting 4 instead of 7 so that's the rating. It's low-stakes because you know everything is going to be alright but you aren't here for thrills, chills and suspense. You're here for a feel-good time of a girl who aims to become a court herbalist to look out and be with her good Prince friend. And for the budding romance between the two likable characters, because having a likable main and companion to main (In the sense of a duo sharing the spotlight) is half the battle and half of the reason to get you to care about a slow-paced and/or episodic show.

Essentially, it's a slow-burning good time.

Secret Santa 2018 and on time son! THAT'S HOW I ROLL

8.4/10 overall
artlee1820's avatar
Feb 20, 2016

Premise: girl who is a good herbalist gets drafted to become some jerk prince's concubine before running away to a nearby kingdom and meets another prince who was nicer. A cute tale from a faraway fantastical land, just like the title snow white with the red hair suggested.

The characters were typical, but really cute and lovable. The main characters are the kind doctor girl who is strong and makes her own decisions, and the slightly cocky but cool, caring, and dependable prince called zen. I felt a little clique at their chemistry, but as the title suggests, it's a fairytale. When they finally kissed, it just came out so well; even though the plot was typical, their romance doesn't seem at all forced the flow of the

The animation was beautiful. I really liked it. It wasn't mind blowing, but my unprofessional judgement of art says that the settings of the story is really worth it's money. I can't say anything about the music because I didn't pay attention to the music, but scene was beautiful and relaxing to look at while denying the bad things happening in my life. This isn't one of those shows with epic fighting scenes. Sure, the prince seems preety good with his sword, the the main story isn't focused on the fighting and rather this peaceful fantasy atmosphere.

Overall, this show was one of my favorite shows to watch after my busiest and most stressful days, soaking every pain into this sweet lovely tale.