Skeleton Knight in Another World - Reviews

Alt title: Gaikotsu Kishi-sama, Tadaima Isekai e Odekake-chuu

StevenSAKUJO's avatar
May 20, 2022

Story [2/10]

An elite gamer wakes up to find himself in the world of his favourite MMORPG as his character, the skeleton knight, Arc. He accepts his predicament with a hearty attitude and decides to live as a mercenary, to eat well and experience the thrill of adventure. Until he is hired for a big job by elven warrior Ariane - to save some elves.

Skeleton Knight in Another World is a typical self-insert isekai, Arc humiliates his male rivals and saves the day, protecting cute things, waifus and adorable children. Every antagonist is comically evil with no redeeming qualities, he defeats them with ease everytime. Every waifu and adorable child is super impressed with Arc as his abilities are far superior to any of the NPC fodder he interacts with. The main plot is about saving adorable elf children and assisting his exhibitionist elven waifu partner.

The show also has some pretty out-of-place rapey scenes, there's never any doubt that Arc is going to save the day and thus the stakes are low as can be and so it's quite light-hearted generally. It just feels weird that the stakes are so high for the NPC characters Arc is saving but for Arc he's just saving them because he has nothing better to do. So much of the plot just seems like an excuse to have some hentai-like scenes.

I suppose it is maybe a male fantasy to save beautiful women from rape but half the entire anime is based on that idea.

Animation [4/10]

Even as someone who rarely complains about CG, it looks pretty bad in this show. The backgrounds are basic and mediocre. Females are waifus or adorable children, men are blockhead thugs and bad guys are fat bourgeoisie types.

Sound [4/10]

There's nothing wrong with music or voice acting but it is all very generic and nothing stands out, it is just mediocre.

Characters [2/10]

There are not many characters, each episode follows Arc as he eats, sleeps and then at some point saves a waifu or child. Ariane is really hard for me to look at, her clothes don't fit her chest at all and it looks absurd. She doesn't have much of a personality, she wants to help elves and be like her sister, she doesn't trust humans, she likes cute things, that's about it. Arc has no real motivations or goals, he is stuck in this fictional world and figures he may as well enjoy it. He eats, sleeps and kills things, a damsel or cute animal is in distress and he saves them, that's about it.

Overall [4/10]

It's a self-insert isekai, you're supposed to turn your brain off and watch, maybe snigger as Arc triumphs and vicariously experience pride in his accomplishments or whatever people do in these anime. Smile when Arc saves the day, get mad at the people he's supposed to beat up and feel satisfied after he does. Usual self-insert isekai things, what even is a good self-insert isekai? They're all just as bad as this one pretty much, if you liked the others you'll like this but otherwise steer clear.

MinRei's avatar
Jun 10, 2022

Although the mc is decent to watch I have to pass on this as it made me uncomfortable in many scenes and not in the well made horror type of way, just plain icky.

ReviewBonfire's avatar
Jul 4, 2022

Gaikotsu Kishi-sama, Tadaima Isekai e Odekakechuu

Overlord, only nicer and without quality.
This is your typical Isekai anime with no real approach, a weak entry, weak execution, and no strengths to speak of. Whatever was done here has already been done in other isekai and at least twice as well.

The only positive points about the anime were the protagonist and the fact that the anime is not a harem (so far) and had almost no fan service. Other than that, the whole series was a wandering cliché with no forks in the road.

While the series possessed possibly 2-3 decent jokes and didn't seem off-putting, it couldn't convince in any way, aside from the terrific intro opening.

[Story 3]

The protagonist was born into a new world with an awful introduction. His encounters with characters were immensely forced, as was the plot. This consisted only of the main character freeing some enslaved people somewhere and defeating monsters, that was it. This dragged on until the end when you had to fight a very very evil cliché villain who almost had the word "evil" tattooed on his forehead.

[Characters 3]

Stereo Types with no notable additions. According to the character catalog, Ninja Girl, Elf Girl has been more or less sympathetic, except for the Protagonist. However, he constantly chewed on his unfunny Isekai sayings and how great he thinks this setting is, so his character got lost more under his urge to appear funny.

[Animations 4 / Music 5]

The animations are mostly average and didn't produce any scenes or moments worth mentioning. Likewise, the environments were mediocre in design and lacked detail.

The intro was great in my opinion, both from the visually absurd and amusing presentation, as well as the perfectly fitting song. The outro was average as were the Osts. Due to the poor use of music, many scenes were emphasized even less than possible.

[Conclusion 3]

I tried my best to like this anime, but this was hardly possible for me. It's not that it was catastrophically bad, it's that it didn't have a single strength and seemed like they were panicking trying to make this series somehow convincing. Unfortunately, it failed in almost every regard.

Worse than wasting your potential is not having any potential.

[Enjoyment 4]

5.5/10 sound
3.5/10 characters
3.5/10 overall
apoc9's avatar
Jun 25, 2022

Trapped in body of video game character is common trope. This series is neither different nor particularly unique. Comparison with the Overlord presents itself as both main protagonists have game character looking as skeleton. While I’m finding more and more similarities, I can’t shake feeling this series is still very different. For an example of similarity, the story has both funny, wholesome and dark, grim elements. Some viewers were shocked by initial rape or rather almost raped scene. Because obviously a lot of effort went to that scene, the first episode shows it twice. Just to be clear the typical isekai bandits’ attack wasn’t there merely to introduce how the MC is OP [1].

Main difference is the fact the MC is consistently good unlike in Overlord, where main character acts more according to his own self-interests – protecting and benefiting Nazarik, but I digress. The MC has backstory for his appearance [2]. He can also enjoy food and drinks. How it works? I don’t know. One of the lighter themes in the series. Food is one of not so uncommon isekai tropes. This series manged to have some cute and genuinely funny moments, which I didn’t expect it to pull off at least occasional chuckle from me. Interactions of MC with side characters were mostly enjoyable as well.

Despite the isekai travelling hero premise giving impression of aimlessly doing adventures, the series has overarching story [3]. However, the MC has to deal so far only with monsters and one-dimensional villains. Potentially more nuanced antagonists [4] are kept at distance from the MC.

Visually series drifts between completely static and surprisingly well animated scenes. It blends quite well even CG, but it’s still noticeable. I didn’t care about OP nor ED as usual.

The series touches many isekai tropes and presents them in enjoyable manner. I had fun watching this series despite the fact I did read manga adaptation beforehand already. Speaking of manga there were small changes, but overall, nothing that significant in the long run.

Spoilers

[1] It’s there to establish intrigues and shady dealings of one noble bad guy.

[2] He is a human cursed to be skeleton

[3] Dealing with slavery of non-humans and politics going behind the scenes.

[4] Prince Sekt and the leader of Empire.

Rauvi's avatar
Oct 18, 2022

Immediately starts with a gr*pe scene.  Like no lead up to, just instantly.  Okay... so going for a Goblin Slayer vibe?  No not really.  I don't know what it was going for.  There is an overabundance of Isekai out there and I guess it went for the shock value so it'd be memorable, but everything else about the story was so meh.  Just poorly written.

Animation:

The art had potential.  Landscapes were down pretty well and character designs not too shabby.  It's the CGI that's noticeable and takes you out of it from time to time.  Still blended in fairly well.  This is one of the few aspects that was good about this show.

Sound:

Gawh Dayum that OP is spunky.  And ED/some BGM not bad.  Honestly the OP alone justified my time.

No chemistry and personalities bland/one dimensional with really no character development or growth.

Overall:

Listened to the OP and ED on youtube and save yourself from this time sink.

0.5/10 story