Scum's Wish

Scum's Wish
Add review
Archert's avatar
Feb 1, 2020

Una historia original pero simple, demasiado simple...

¿Como explicarlo?. School Days pese a tener un argumento "simple" es clara y concisa sin muchos miramientos haciendo que su historia sea fresca por momentos atrapando al espectador. Por el contrario, esta serie, de un argumento simple intenta crear un mundo y dramatizarlo exageradamente para hacer creer al espectador que "Es importante", pero no...no lo es.

No digo que sea una mala serie, es entretenida y diferente (que ya es mucho pedir), pero siento que la serie no me ha transmitido una historia sino los sentimientos y pensamientos de los personajes, dejándome indiferente.

6.5/10 animation
7.5/10 characters
Yosborno's avatar
Nov 23, 2019

By far one of the best anime's I have watched!

The deep complexity of the characters feelings and thoughts really hits you.

kali023's avatar
Apr 30, 2019

If you going to watch some few episodes, you might not like it.. if you going to finish it, you might able to love it. I love how the story and the character evolves from one character to another, like how you want to kill that character and eventually finding yourself later on that you love it. Yes, its dark but its actually refreshing. You just have to finish watching it though. The sex scenes isnt bad, it wasnt there just for the sake of it having it. I think people who love romance anime should watch it because its just something different.Its a very mature one so for those who like teeny boopy love story or looking for stress relieving anime, you will not be able to enjoy since this is very heavy.

QueenJosie095's avatar
Jan 2, 2019

This anime was deep and touching, depressing, and loving all at the same time. The unrequited love was very deep and emotional and you really could feel the love and the heartbreak of these characters! All of them wanted something that they could not have and they felt so bad that they felt they needed a replacement or someone to fill a void for satisfaction! You could really tell the want and need that these characters were facing toward their love interest and it really touches you and feels you up with these emotions of wanting the characters to get who they want, but at the end of the day, they see that they never truly get that person, even if it seemed like it would work. I absolutely recommend this anime, It is very  touching and deep and emotional, but it also makes you think about love and people's perspective on love at the same time. Great show!

sadbunny's avatar
Jul 25, 2018

Yes, you should see Kuzu no Honkai. The first episode was enough to gain my attention, and I was really curious about how it would end, already knowing that wasn't going to be a pretty one.

The ending wasn't how I imagined and I didn't love it, but it has a great message, so it compensates to see everything until the end.

This anime shows relationships struggles, because yes, people sometimes fill their emptiness with other people and everything can be very confusing, especially on your first love. I really liked how they showed that part of relationships without being fake.

I really recommend you to watch this anime, even if it isn't the best of his category, it's still really interesting and will make you feel lots of different emotions towards the characters, haha.

blitzburns4's avatar
Feb 5, 2018

Scum’s Wish Review

Please note: Scum’s Wish is an anime series that aired back in January through March of 2017, available to stream exclusively on Amazon Prime and only in a subtitled audio format. It was animated by Studio Lerche, notable for their work on Assassination Classroom. It was directed by Masomi Ando, with the famous previous effort being the renowned romance anime White Album 2; its script was written Makoto Uezu whom is probably best known for a lot of various works including the new Boruto series, Akame ga Kill, Yuki Yuna is a Hero, and even the infamous School Days. Also of note is the musical composition by Masaru Yokoyama, whom is prolific across many series but perhaps made his best work here as I’ve ever heard. The full series is only 12 episodes and is a complete adaptation of the 8 volume seinen manga of the same name by Mengo Yokoyari. I’m not expecting this to mean anything to anyone, but this anime can be both the most enthralling and most disappointing series you may witness for a long time. Taking that as you will- you should keep this weirdly ominous dichotomy in mind before jumping in.

Spoilers follow beyond this point.

Scum’s Wish is an anime that, on paper, should seem like the best thing to have ever graced our sexually-inhibited anime universe. For simply doing so much that hasn’t been done yet in terms of pure sexuality portrayal in what could be otherwise assumed to be a generic high school drama anime; no small part of me wants to simply put Scum’s Wish on a pedestal and proclaim it one of the best anime of the entire decade. Sex? In an actual non-hentai drama sort of anime? Get the f*** out of here, I’d say. Alas it’s true. The sexual-acts barrier is being torn down with Scum’s Wish, where our main characters are already locking tongues within the first five minutes of the show and openly discuss the idea of having sex within the first episode. Further than that- there’s a certain direction and composition to this anime that is beautifully innocent, being sure that we as viewers never get the impression that these acts are anything more than out of desperation and loneliness. If these themes click with a viewer, they click very well- but clearly this is a show where a casual audience or an audience unfamiliar with the current status-quo for high school anime will probably just end up uncomfortable or disengaged.

The open sexuality should be a hook line and sinker for many other anime fans that have followed what seems like an insurmountable amount of straightforward romantic material, though. Then you take a look at the talent backing this project, and it becomes painfully obvious why this show is so effective in drawing you in and demanding your attention. The art has a delicate art palette of softer and prettier hues, almost dreamlike, not a lot unlike what I detailed in my last review for Kokoro Connect. In Lerche’s case, the softer color palette serves to highlight the tender, more emotional and psychological natures of the show; and they do a bloody fantastic job doing so. The animation itself has its own little quirks that keep it within its own style seperate from other comparable works by studios like Silver Link or P.A. Works. Scum's Wish stands out. It’s a great first effort by Studio Lerche, drama-wise, and they were helped along by incredible character designs from the source material by Mengo Yokoyari. Every scene with principle protagonists Mugi and Hanabi in it was an attraction in itself as far as I’m concerned. They are by far this series’ highlight.

Let’s talk about our binary protagonists, then.

The pretty dark-haired girl named Hanabi Yasuraoka and cool light-haired boy named Mugi Awaya are the series' two protagonists and serve as the focus for this tale. Of course, there’s also the respective targets of their affection: high school teachers Narumi Kanai and Akane Minagawa, the latter of which was Mugi’s super-hot tutor in junior high and the former Hanabi’s…I’m not really sure what the hell Narumi is to Hanabi, specifically. Hana calls him her “brother”, but that doesn’t seem quite right since they aren’t residents of the same household. So I’m inclined to say lifelong friend. How he comes into her life is never fully articulated upon, even though we do know through a flashback scene or two that he’s been around in Hanabi’s life a while and in a more paternal role. Though annoying in its obvious absence, the lack of an exact explanation for how the heck he becomes involved in her life doesn’t seem to matter all that much given Narumi’s personality is literally that of a piece of wood. As far as I can tell- he just happened to be in Hanabi’s life when she needed a close and trusting friend and was impressionable from her father’s untimely departure. Or, speaking more plainly, the show needed an older character for Hanabi to be attracted to as to allow the show an opportunity to execute its "forbidden unrequitted love" premise.

Though Narumi shows that he is very kind here and in these flashbacks, clearly he was (and is) sort of an idiot, too. Given that he is completely oblivious to Hana’s growing attachment for years and failed to guide her to normalcy in her adolescence. As a consequence, he allowed her latch to him on so deeply an emotional level that she could end up hopelessly in love with him and, furthermore, allows her to become reckless by dutifully ignoring her feelings. Innocuous ignorance is not an okay excuse here. He’s literally the worst character in this show and all I can say is that I think he’s going to be a horrible father to his teenage children (if he has children) one day. But I digress.

Mugi’s love fixation on Akane, however, is a completely different story from Hanabi’s to Narumi. Busty bad teacher Akane takes on the role of a villainous femme fatale. She plays with sexually active guys simply to feed her ego, express her dominance over perceived competition, and to perpetuate a sense of emotional superiority or control over those men she perceives as below her. And so things go that one day, while she was tutoring a young junior high student named Mugi, she causes him during the course of their sessions to fall hopelessly in love with her. He becomes inexplicably aware of his own libido thanks to her antics, which he soon starts to notice regularly. He finds his own experienced sexual partner at his school, whom teaches him some basics of the Venusian arts and educates him that Akane is very much a deliberate and calculative and, yes, deviant individual even by liberal standards.

Fast forward to high school. Both Mugi and Hanabi remain in limbo trying to win the affections of their respective love interests—who are now their teachers coincidentally—and in a fateful meeting they run into each other one day at school while following each of their respective love interests, who are now pursuing each other. Both Mugi and Hanabi almost immediately recognize the actions of the other for what they are: hopeless and forever distant in their adoration. They bond over their mutually dejected feelings, and that bonding lets them feel comfortable enough to act out their desires on each other. They promise before they “go down the rabbit hole” of desire that, in the eventuality that either party “gets” with the true love they desire, that they’d break things up amicably. This interesting proposition is the driving cornerstone of this entire series’ story, and it also serves as a catalyst to allow these two characters to explore the more suppressed sides to their sexuality…Which means us viewers get a too-close-for-comfort--yet fascinating--voyeur’s view as well.

The good news keeps going, and then abruptly ends from there. Supplementing this core sexuality and main characters are a litany of anime production values that mean this story, whether you particularly liked/agreed with it or not, is going to look really freakin’ good. I’ve already mentioned the color palette, character designs, and animation on the part of the manga artist and Studio Lerche. But one thing I haven’t mentioned is the music, which really sets the tone thematically for a lot of scenes much better than the scriptwriting or scenes themselves do sometimes…particularly early on. And it can be deceivingly good to the point where you end up with scenes that have audiences believing they are more impactful or meaningful to Hanabi then they maybe really are as they relate to the plot as a whole. After all- by the series’ end we are lead to believe that the two principle character's experiences were for next to nothing as they grow out of their fantasies and become...normal young adults. (Yawn.) However, when you see a scene with music like this, you'd be forgiven for believing Hanabi, for example, was in a romantic moment that was one of the best of her life. The fact she later so easily walks away from Mugi despite this sort of connection is jarring at the very least. It encapsulates a long-running issue with this show. First not even two episodes later after agreeing to date Mugi she starts hitting things off with Sanae; then again when she lets Mugi walk away from their relationship to pursue Akane; and finally a third time at the series' conclusion where both Mugi and Hanabi mutually agree to simply not be in each other's lives anymore. It's one of those "like, what?" moments where the more you think about it the worse it gets. "So that's how we're going to build off this early chemistry?" Is what I repeatedly asked myself after the show was over. We all knew that any agreement to have sex without feeling was auribus teneo lupum, or unsustainable. But the obvious way to rectify that was to have the main characters accept or discuss their newfound feelings. Which never happened. Even as it was foreshadowed with amazing elements like the music.

There is a mishmash of genres in Scum’s Wish at work, and those various genres are highlighted at different times in the series. Much like the after-mentioned Kokoro Connect, the series suffers in how each new direction is introduced and almost seems like another distraction from the otherwise great plot points that are going on. The plutonic and deeply-empathetic relationship between the two principle characters is what, ultimately, ties everything together even as the series explores other avenues for drama and conflict. But while this sounds great on paper; it is sort of disappointing in practice. There is towards the end of the series a point where principle protagonist Hanabi literally disappears from the show altogether for two whole episodes (10 and 11). But even before that, extraneous side characters are introduced that, again, I’d argue distract from the core plot that is between Hanabi and Mugi. Which brings up the question: what genre is this show aiming to be? Suspense as the characters delve into their darker hedonistic sides? (Good.) A twisted romance as Hanabi and Mugi realize that their plutonic friends-with-benefits arrangement is destined to fail? (Good.) A character drama as they navigate their numerous love triangles? (Bleh.) A satire with comedic plays off of common anime sexual innuendos? (Meh.) A moralistic slice-of-life lesson as we dive into every character's past? (Bad.) The show almost feels like its forced to go along with these disappointing plot threads much longer than it really has to. Both Mugi and Hanabi pursue new lovers and, ultimately, the show makes the peculiar choice to have Mugi sacrifice his relationship with Hanabi to try and pursue a women he knows doesn’t want him back, breaking the focus of the story off from the two principle characters altogether. Ironically Akane changes for reasons we viewers cannot empathize with or fully understand. Hell, Mugi pretty much has nothing to do with Akane's suprising development towards goodness, or her decision to get married. It's a case example of a disappointing turnaround that begs the question of what the freakin' point was. If that was going to be the point of the story then Mugi should have just stuck with Hanabi.

The show figuratively drags its viewers around by the ears implying that the two were developing something real and legitimate beyond satiating their carnal desires from the opposite sex, and even went so far as to devote the middle episodes of the series to show how they were unsatisfied with one-shot flings with characters that both Hanbi and Mugi use to expound on their sexuality outside of the context of their relationship. Why, then, are we forced to swallow such a clichéd turn of direction by the final episodes? I mean, they're not even really friends by the end of the series. Only friendly aquaintences, who have to run into each other by a freak circumstance (both falling asleep in a storage room?) to even have any sort of communication about their feelings towards each other by that point. They elect to not try to make something work and move forward with their lives as normal high school kids.

It’s disappointing.

I’m not going to go too deep into it, but there’s a novelty going on in Scum’s Wish with regards to how it portrays sexual conduct of high school students. That novelty, however, wears off quick as the show becomes a series of animated pillow talks with characters that don’t matter. And that’s in addition to the other handful of major conveniences we’re supposed to overlook. I’ll start with the most important one and work from there: safe sex protection. I don’t like having to be the the Mary Sue in this situation, because holy heck do I hate responsibility. However, there is indeed a point to be made of this discrepancy, and that point is condoms work as more than a simple tool to prevent pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases. Symbolically, they work as a form of trust and power. Likewise, I'd also imagine starting birth control is kind of a huge deal for a girl just so that she can have unprotected sex with a guy. Exclusion of any sort of safe-sex imagery is a notable reminder that, while it’s exhilarating to have a show unafraid to explore new directions with its character's sexuality, that this new unique direction is just as unrealistic, clichéd, and fantastical as the ones we’re already used to. Ditto for the lack of parental or adult authority or supervision. Not going to go too deep into blasting the show for this, because I actually liked that our characters were getting it on. But I will say that every time the characters find themselves emotionally distressed is an opportunity for an observant parent to become involved. In addition, I’m not a legal expert- but I’d imagine that even despite the lower age of consent in Japan that there would be rules against teachers socializing with students, or that it would otherwise be a cause for concern with a child's parents. In the U.S. a lot of teachers even get thrown in jail. In Japan I'd imagine she'd at least be running the risk of getting fired, if not still socially castrized.

I don't mean to say that I disapprove of my shows being risky. Obviously me being here writing a four plus page review is evidence of how much I liked the ideas presented in Scum's Wish. It's just that the show becomes drastically more safe and conventional as it progresses towards its conclusion, and it's not like it was particularly intelligent in the ways it went about doing so. After the initial contract between Hanabi and Mugi- the only creative or engaging decision that I thought was followed up on in an enthralling way was making Akane a villain femme fatale. Everything else is just toast as far as I’m concerned. The extra-lovers that Mugi and Hanabi take on are a novel idea on paper, but the amount of development time and focus on them borders ridiculousness for a tale about promiscuous sexuality. Frankly I didn't care about them.

That’s about the extent as I have to say on the matter of story. There’s not a whole lot of story that happens in this tale, which makes micro-analysis of every single intricacy redundant. I can only reflect on what I thought the show did well with and what attributes or elements I felt are going to stick with me. The aesthetics, main two characters, and their dramas with each other will stick me on the positive side. However, equally disappointing was how the story chose to develop itself from its interesting premise past, say, Episode 5. It’s just plain frustrating to say the least. One frustrating new plot thread after another, almost none of which I’d go as far as to say are necessarily consequential to the main characters’ development. Maybe a rewatch is in order to really verify my suspicions, but I don’t even want to see any of it again. Sanae’s borderline lesbian obsession on Hanabi? Yeah, not going to think back much on that. Noriko prancing around fancying herself a princess to Mugi’s sort of guilty disinterest? Boring. Ultimately, the sexual mind games between Akane and Hanabi and the men she likes is the only semi-interesting subplot or conflict I'll care to recall beyond what happens between Mugi and Hanabi. And even that ends up being executed horribly as the story wraps itself up on a disappointing and clichéd note. By the end, Akane feels compelled to “change her ways” because of Narumi’s unconditional kindness and white-knight selfless acceptance, when in any semi-realistic situation he’d actually just end up being in the friend zone at best or, at worst, would be emotionally destroyed and scarred by having a first love that abuses his trust. It’s weak writing honestly.

So. What’s the bottom line?

Scum’s Wish was a show that made me want to pull my hair out. It deserves in no small way to be held on a pedestal to see what it does different, and analyzed for where it works and where it fails. It really doesn’t surprise me that there are so many others reviewers whom are attracted to it, and that it’s been so divisive in reviews. I sort of feel humbled by how fervent some of the posts that I’ve read online are. Like Hanabi, I almost feel dirty and sacrilegious claiming that I understand something about this show that most people have seemed to miss. But the whole truth is that this show is merely is a mixed success, which makes it a show that’s in the 6-8 range realistically, depending of course on how you look at it. If you are someone with whom in real life have actually suffered from the issues explored in this drama- then I’d imagine that this is a show that you would be inclined to love for that reason alone. Ditto for people who are sick and tired of the almost streamlined conventions that appear in 90% of the romances that we witness in every anime. But once the novelties of this show "breaking ground" wear off, you’re left with a show that is…kind of disappointing, honestly. I find it very hard to believe that viewers walked away from seeing Hanabi and Sanabe's yuri sex for what felt like a three episode marathon and thought that that was a series highlight that they'd reflect on after their time with Scum's Wish was over. Similarly, I find it hard to believe that viewers were content that Hanabi literally disappeares for two of the final three episodes, or that they'd approve of such a creative decision if they were told about it in advance. I find it hard to believe that many viewers were too happy to see Hanabi and Mugi mutually agreeing to permenantly part ways in the final episode, even if they supported it as the most logical decision. And I don't think there's anyone, fan or critic, that really buys how into the rationale of how Akane and Narumi ended up together as something that could be believable. I think I’m getting across my point.

For my part, I myself would have liked to see the show go more down the rabbit hole of psychological cat-and-mouse between Mugi and Hanabi as they realize that their actions and decisions have consequences on each other. Certainly, a suggestion that Scum's Wish could have at least a focused more on the principle characters instead of developing a sob story for every character they meet with a name and face is a reasonable request, I think. They never once had a confrontation about their infidelity. Not once. Their relationship does not develop even as its hinted that they both want it to despite previous commitments. To me, despite initial appearances, the show became so much more of a clichéd and safe venture past Episode 5 for this reason. Which is a huge shame. Though still enjoyable in its entirety, it’s very similar issue to, say, ERASED where the strongest aspect of the series becomes a sideshow to more predictable and unfavorable elements and, ultimately, all these extraneous elements are resolved without incident and in an unsatisfactory way. I cannot say for certain what the solution would have been, per se, because if I could squarely pinpoint it I’d go out and make my own manga or anime or fiction that did it right. But what I can say is what I liked and what I ultimately did not like. The show has more to like than not for me, but it’s by no means a perfect anime- even if it is one of the prettiest I’ve seen in a long time. I just find the amount of 10’s floating around on both Anime Planet and out online utterly ridiculous. I mean this with all due respect to my anime peers, but I can't help but feel that all of the exaggerated claims of greatness for Scum's Wish are cries for attention to an issue of sexuality that has, up until now, been almost completely ignored in the anime medium. I can empathize very much with this sentiment. I really can. But I do believe that by ignoring legitimate issues about the show we are setting up new fans for disappointment. And that's bad. It should be obvious even to the most ardent and fervent of fans of Scum's Wish that it is not a show made for everybody.

On a deeper level, I additionally believe that fans blindly heaping praise on anime they like are just encouraging our favorite anime to continue to recycle bad creative ideas. Without any criticism or reproachment for their poor execution(s) of them, or even criticism for blatantly plagarizing from previous renouned anime that came before it- all we're going to get is more of the same errors in the future. Optimally, an anime that borrows elements from another anime should be innovative enough to use them in some kind of new way that warrants success on its own merits. Scum's Wish sort of accomplishes this with how sexually explicit it is...but little else. The reason why I can mention this latter point is because we already have a wonderfully masterful anime that explores this very same premise in Penguindrum. In that show, we have a female protagonist (who looks very similar to Hanabi, actually) that's obsessed with her teacher who falls for another beautiful adult women. The antics/dynamics between the main teacher who's a complete dud personality-wise, the girl who is obsessed with him, and the boy with whom the girl becomes involved with through a twist of fate are all tic-for-tat the same as Scum's Wish. At least in the drama department. The big idea Scum's Wish had was dropping the magical realism or thriller elements and adding more explicit depictings of actual sexual activity. It's like a dedicated explicit X-rated fanfiction for the most superficial part of that show.

Everyone should have some perspective before they jump into Scum's Wish. If they are under the impression that this is the best drama anime ever to have existed, they're wrong. Frankly it’s not even much better than the stuff its trying to differentiate itself from. It’s still unrealistic. It’s still got plenty of cliché characters. It’s still fetishized in its romance. It's still trying to balance multiple genre tags to mixed success. As far as I’m concerned- the honor of being called “the most incredible drama” still belongs to traditional classics like Welcome to the NHK or Nana, which didn't have to rip off elements from another series just to get its plot going. Though I’m always glad to see a show that tries to add something new to the conversation by doing something unique, you should never allow yourself to buy into hype because of a singular idea or premise. If you go in with the expectation that this show will be a fun unique experience despite its faults...I think you'll do very well for yourself and won't be left with a gaping feeling of disappointment that has, unfortunately, been plaguing me. Consider this your official of buyer beware.

Cheers guys,

Blitzburns4

lizathelizard's avatar
Oct 4, 2017

Warning: Spoilers are in the 'Story' part

I was thinking a lot if I should write a review for this anime...

This anime has a special place in my heart.I really really really loved this anime.It has became one of my favourites.I haven't read the manga since I saw the anime first buttt the anime still was so good.(don't get triggered I will read it soon)

So about the story(spoiler aren't here):

In my opinion it's either you love it or hate it.If you look at this anime from a different perspective it is dark,like you feel bad for the characters.I felt so pathetic watching this and weird.I was thinking so much for this anime.It has a really deep story tbh,like the basic plot:

It's the girl Hanabi and a boy Mugi they both love each other,not for the sake of that but for the sake of imagining themselves with other people that they love (Hanabi's childhood friend who most people think its her brother,and Mugi's music teacher)

Animation:

okay the animation really impressed me,it was really pleasing to watch.The colours were beautiful.

Sound:

I loved both the opening and the ending,I even got the songs on my phone lol

I loved the characters,they were all good even those who didn't meant that much.By that I mean for an example Mugi's childhood friend Noriko,she wasn't that important to the story but that small not important detail adds so much,I really love small details,it adds to the story more.

So yeah that's my review,I recommend you watch this anime or read the manga(cause I'm sure that is really good) and I hope I helped you with this review. :D

Nicknames's avatar
Sep 4, 2017

Anybody who knows me well is aware that I’m attracted to dark stories in the same way a bear is attracted to honey, or Thrawn to anything lewd and/or related to Popee the Performer. That said, after reading the synopsis of this show (and hearing that it’s somewhat similar to Aku no Hana, another show I liked) I just had to check it out.

Scum’s Wish tells us the story of Hanabi, a high schooler who fell in love with her teacher and childhood friend Narumi, who meets a classmate named Mugi who also fell in love with another teacher. After some time getting to know each other they decide to act as if they are a couple and have a purely physical relationship with the sole purpose of quelling their loneliness on the condition that they don’t fall in love for the other.

Many would think this is quite messed up (and let me tell you it really is), but this is just the tip of the iceberg since things start getting more and more heavy and complicated as we get to know the characters.

It’s worth mentioning how the show narrates mostly everything through the monologues of the characters, more or less in the same way it’s done in some of Makoto Shinkai’s movies. Even if this gives the viewer a clear idea of what is every character thinking, it can get a bit grating from time to time.

The plot has some flaws though, The biggest one in this regard is how messy the time structure is. There’s a lot of jumping back and forth and, while it’s justified, it makes the plot more confusing. There’s also another big one, but I’ll address it later.

Animation-wise the show opts for a different style by either adding panels during some of the scenes, or gradually turning the screen black as if ink drops are falling and covering the screen when something messed up happens. I personally think the result is quite pretty.

On occasions there are still shots added for dramatic effect which can only be described as beautiful (like this one).

Also the backgrounds and the characters look really nice, and the animation is fluid.

The animation on the opening and ending is also good. Both are nicely done and have plenty of symbolism in it.

They also put a lot of care in the raunchier scenes. Be warned this show doesn’t shy away from showing french kisses in full detail as well as some err... “intimate scenes” (it doesn't go too overboard to be considered borderline-H though), so you might consider watching it alone with headphones.

The opening and the ending songs of the show are the typical songs you’d find in any other anime. They are ok but a bit forgettable.

The soundtrack does a great job to set the mood though, and the voice acting is on-point.

Before I mentioned there was another flaw and that’s how the characters are handled (which ultimately sour the plot quite a bit). If you asked me back when this show started I’d tell you the characters are one of the strongest points of the show, but after the introduction of a certain character everythingwent downhill. Yes, this show doesn’t have your typical Bland McDullard who’s too shy to even hold hands with their significant other or your miss perfect who spends an entire cour to confess her feeling, and instead it has flawed teenagers who will go all the way and also do dumb things because they do what their hormones dictate instead of using their brains, but after a certain point it start to look like the characters are in a contest to determine who’s the biggest douchebag in existence (with the exception of Narumi, who is so good-natured he‘s a bit out of place).

Not everything regarding the characters is bad though. Since this is a character driven series, each of the characters are being fleshed out properly from the get go (save for some minor ones) instead of developing them halfway into the show.

All in all this is a show that will leave noone indifferent, and you will either love it or hate it. It’ll leave you thinking after each episode and pondering on what has happened.

If this kind of anime appeals to you and you don’t mind some sex scenes here and there then go ahead and give it a try, but if you’re more into fluffy romance I’d suggest you to look for something else, because there are no brakes in this pain train.

Glasletter's avatar
Aug 7, 2017

This show is absolute moral garbage hidden under solid animation and hopes of a better story down the line.

Do you enjoy depression, cheating/being cheated on, constant lying, being used and using others, deliberate destruction of self and others, having your desires ignored by those you care about or ignoring theirs, wanton immorality among people too hazed to realise what it even means and the like?

You're garbage if so and you'll fit right in with this show. I hope you experience it all yourself. I know how most of it feels, and making suffering the subject of entertainment is of the lowest level of humanity, dignity and responsibility.

0.1/10 overall
JVAnimeReviews's avatar
May 23, 2017

JV's Anime of the Season: Winter 2017

WARNING: 1 SPOILER AHEAD Look for the spoiler tags.

Positive

*Where do I even have to begin this review, there’s so much to tell. So let’s start with the first episode. I think that everyone, literally everyone who was watching that first episode, watched it with his mind blown. Holy shit that first episode. The least I can say is that it immediately set the tone for this anime. Like what’s the climax of a romance anime in 95% of the cases? That would be a confession or a kiss all the way at the end of the anime. But KnH took that cliché and pushed it down the drain. To see our 2 main characters engage in sexual activities in the very first episode was mind-blowing. That first episode has to be one of the strongest first episodes in my career. And from then on I knew that this anime would be pure gold.

I have seen some anime’s before that deal with sexuality, they’re rare but I’ve seen a few. But none of them came close to the dark and lust driven atmosphere than was so eminent in KnH. The fact that our characters and not only the main ones have sex not because they love each other but to engulf themselves into their lust and their sexual desires made this anime unique. Never before have I seen an anime that deals with the dark side of romance and just giving in to those primitive emotions of lust.

And on top of that this anime also shows how these desires can destroy, not only yourself mentally but also the ones around you. The arc of Hanabi and Ebato was the perfect example of that. Love can destroy friendships especially if the love is as toxic as many of the romances in this anime.

For a video review, check out my Youtube channel. Link on my profile page.

*And this destruction brings me to characters. The English title of this anime is Scum’s Wish and truly the characters in this anime are true scum. I think the only character that stays relatively “good” is Narumi. But all the other ones are truly despicable. The way how they treat people as objects to fulfill their desires made that you can hate every character in this anime with, to me, Akane in the lead. That bitch just deserved to die. But the psychology of the characters was so interesting. And you know that I love psychological anime’s. Which brings me to the difference between Hanabi and Mugi in the second part of the anime.

*What I’m about to tell is a “spoiler” but you know it will happen somewhere in this anime since it’s the goal right from the start. After both Hanabi and Mugi confess their feelings to Narumi and Akane and obviously get turned down, there was this sharp distinction between the ways how they dealt with it. On one side we have Hanabi, who eventually crawls out of this deadly ravine, learns to deal with the fact that she will never be together with Narumi and moves on. Whilst on the other side we have Mugi who falls even deeper into the negative spiral, who’s completely breaking down and almost dragging others with him into his fall.

*And then I’m going to switch to the end of the anime so the following will be a SPOILER of KnH. So if you haven’t watched KnH yet, which you should, skip to the next *.

*The ending of this anime was, for this anime, perfect. Because it was a perfect reflection of the entire anime and like the first episode it threw the stereotypes in the trashcan. Because what was the obvious ending to happen here? It would have been that Mugi and Hanabi would, for real, fall in love with each other, become a couple and everything ended happy. And that final episode was going for this ending, everything pointed in that direction. Everything until the final 20 seconds. But those final 20 seconds blew my mind as hard as the first episode did.

Mugi and Hanabi had a choice. They could have gone the easy way, get together and like that try to forget the pain that they feel. But they choose not to do that, they knew that they weren’t each others true love. And those final words of Hanabi were so powerful: “We’re looking for real love. That’s why we continue to live on”. That is the freaking essence of romance poured in 2 sentences. There are so many anime’s out there that show romance in all its floral and happy glory and that’s fine. But now and then there comes an anime that pushes us with our nose right on the facts. Romance isn’t all sunshine and rainbows. Romance is hard, romance is painful, romance can be the most hateful thing in the entire world.

I applaud KnH for its realistic look on romance, I applaud Mengo Yokoyari, the original mangaka and I applaud Lerche for yet again making a fantastic adaptation like only they can.

End of Spoiler

*Oh you thought the hype train was over already, well you’re wrong because I still have to talk about the ending song Heikosen. My God, what a fantastic ending song! I already fell in love with the a capella start that we hear in the anime but when the full song came out and I heard the combination of that a capella voice with than the rocking guitars right after it made every part of my body move with excitement. This is, without a doubt, one of the best endings songs of 2017. I can listen to this song non-stop and I won’t get bored with it.

Negative

*Man I have to stop now or I will get a heart attack. Now I do have two negative points to mention about KnH. The first one is that the lolli character Noriko could have used more time and more development. She does play her role after the rejection but she could have been more involved in this whole web of intrigues.

*And the second negative point is that going further in this anime, the intensity drops slightly. That’s because the anime uses the sexual trick multiple times and something like that is world shaking the first time you use it. So at the start I was counting down the days to the next episode and at the end that feeling of anticipation dropped slightly.

Conclusion

So as a conclusion, was this review long enough to convince you that I absolutely loved this anime? This anime is unique. Never in my anime career have I seen an anime that deals with the dark side of romance as realistic and as right in your face as KnH. The combination of a strong, dark storyline, characters that were so extremely realistic and a perfect end to it all made this a fan-freaking-tastic anime. So overall I’m going to rate Kuzu no Honkai at a very well deserved 4,5 stars. Needless to say that this was my Anime of the Season of Winter 2017 and the rest of the year will have to do its damn best to keep KnH from becoming my Seasonal Anime of the Year.

8.5/10 characters
8.6/10 overall
BigDumbOhFace's avatar
Apr 19, 2017

At first, the Winter 2017 season didn't seem all that appealing and was really a placeholder for the upcoming huge Spring 2017.  Turns out it ended up being surprisingly good and fun season filled with some solid shows.  Kuzu no Honkai/Scum's Wish was one of them and certainl on the top of the season for me.

Plot

Hanabi Yasuraoka and Mugi Awaya seem like your regular high school couple to the normal eye.  However, they are not in love with each other.  They're in love with their teachers, Hanabi with the older neighborhood boy named Kanai who she called Oni-chan and Mugi with his tutor, Akane.  Hanabi and Mugi decide that to combat their sadness and lonliness,  they make a pact.  The deal is that whenever one is feeling down, they are allowed to take out their sexual frustration on each other.  If one is somehow able to be with the person they truly want, their relationship will end without complications.  Afterwards, sexual and love complications ensue with the main cast and with others joining along the way.

The most obvious thing about this show, which happens to in the first episode is the unapologetic bold approach to relationships and sex itself.  First episode immediately sets the tone to what you're into which is amazing.  It approaches sex in a much more adult manor than most other high school romances.  Not sure if it's really a spoiler since it's in the first episode but the two leads almost have sex with tons of steamy foreplay and lewd kissing along the way.  There is absolutely no room for that namby-pamby "take 12 episodes to hold hands" BS.  Body parts are going into other body parts.

If I were to give one positive note on the plot is the lightning quick pacing.  The wheels are continously moving.  With the faster pacing, the characters and viewers are on the same wavelength.  Most cases the viewer is way fast the character(s) who is struggling to figure out something that the viewers already deduced weeks prior.

If I were to give one negative note is the fact there's a lot of telling rather than showing.  Characters go off on long intensive monologues about their situations and though process and while that helps with the positive above, but everything in moderation.  Sometimes it feels like it takes up half the episode which can make it feel like a slog.  For me, I had rewind a few times and check discussion threads to confirm certain scenes and such to make sure I get what's going on.

I really liked the presentaion and style they went with.  The style is under a white filter to give it a hazy dreamlike feel, which paired up with the music made for some good scenes.  With the presentaions, they heavily used paneling.  At first I thought it was just trying to do a lot with a limited budget but over time I grew to like it.

Sond

Let's start off with the superb voice acting.  With the VA's it feels like they were told "less is more".  It fels like everyone is just using their normal speaking voice except for one character who I wished would get punched in the throat.  Not much overacting and it's very enjoyable.  The biggest and most awesome part of this anime is the soundtrack.  Never have I really cared for the music aside from the OP and ED but damn.  The entire OST is a thing of beauty.  There's a track called "The Deal" and it sounds like what a heart shattering into a billion pieces sounds like and I love it.  Let's go back the ED, Heikousen by Sayuri, though.  Simply my most favorite song from an anime in God knows how long.  I listen to that song every presentable opportunity.  Some like their hype music for the gym but not me.  I love this song.

The thing is with Scum's Wish, there is no such thing as a "Best Girl" or best anything.  There is simply only "Least Worst ___".  There's a reason why it's called Scum's Wish instead of Nice Happy People's Wish.  Despite everyone being a piece of garbage, they're extremely entertaining pieces of trash.  Like the initial premise of the show, Hanabi and Mugi using each other as love substitutes, is just a pretty horrible thing to do and easily an unstable foundation for a relationship.  Each character will make you have strong feelings towards them which is better than not feeling for any of them.

Overall

Before watching this you must ask yourself one question: how much do you want to hate yourself?  This show is a real cathartic experience that will get you feeling some way while watching it.  I loved the bold approach to depict sex this way which is something you really don't get in "normal" anime these days.  The ending though will be a bit hit or miss though.  Watching live, it felt very underwhelming, and still is to some degree as it kinda lacks impact.  However, looking back at it now, it feels kind of right.

Overall I would recommend this show if you want a different spin on high school romance.

Firestorm258's avatar
Apr 9, 2017

Kuzu No Honkai is an indescribable anime. It can feel almost sickeningly realistic, nearly gritty at times. The animation is beyond beautiful and stylish. Symbolism is used frequently to display emotion. This anime is truly beautiful. It has the perfectly bittersweet ending that leaves you satisfied and wanting more. The cast of characters are all developed and fleshed out people that do realistic things that you could actually see that character doing, at least except for one character, but to avoid spoilers I will just say I didn't enjoy the child-hood friend character. The 2 main characters are relatable and realistic, and while the "Onee-chan" fettish thing intitially turned me off to the show, it was developed in such a way, and also: spoiler alert :it isn't actually her brother, that made me actually feel for Hanabi, the female main character, and want her to succeed in her endeavor to make her teacher/"brother" fall in love with her. The OP and ED in this show surpass pretty much any other show in its entire season, and the soundtrack, while not very good on its own, perfectly display how you are supposed to feel in each scene, and isn't generic. This show is a realistic work of art and I believe that Lerche completely out-did themselves on this one. I think, with this show being without question being the best in its season, that anyone who likes romance and realistic emotion in their anime should definitely pick up this one, and don't think it is ecchi or porn because of the "Explicit Sex" because it is just that the story woudln't work at all if it didn't have characters interact sexually, which helps add a whole extra layer to the realism the show is trying to create. I recommend this show to the highest degree and think everyone should watch it, especially if you like romance!

9.8/10 overall
ZachTheLoyal's avatar
Apr 6, 2017

Honestly, I like the story so far(still in episode 8), but the fact that you combine drama and ecchi disappoints me. I'm not saying that the story is bad, I promise you it made me cry a little, but the ecchi scenes changes my mood from sad to lustful then sad again. Probably some people will disagree with me(I just wanted to point it out), but that's just how I feel, and I'm still in Episode 8 so.. I'll update this status in 1 hour and 36 mins.

UPDATE:
Just finished it now and all I can say is good job, I kind of expected the ending to be Hana and Mugi to end up together, but that works too. The ending felt as if the story started over(Hana being alone and all). Could've felt the sadness more if there wasn't any ecchi scenes, but that's me. Maybe reading the manga will help me..

SPOILERS ALERT
The story shows me how people are controlled over love, like how Ms. Minagawa(Ms. Akane) takes away Hana's 'onii-chan' from her, somehow making him believe that one day she would feel the same way. This also shows me that love can change people(fast forwarding..), how Hana is slowly developing feelings for Mugi(then again I might be wrong since I stopped midway)

Overall, cool anime 9/10 would watch again.

interregnum's avatar
Apr 5, 2017

It’s Toradora. But darker. And with sexy-time.

Scum’s Wish is an absolute gem, a de-romanticized high school love story that isn’t so much a deconstruction of the genre as it is simply an unadorned exploration of the oft-ignored flipside of anime’s typical, hope-filled tribute to longing. It’s an unexpectedly mature look at the desperate, corrupting, soul-hollowing side of unrequited love, a show entirely bereft of the illusion that there are winners in the pursuit of romantic fulfillment.

There’s no glorified pining, no thrill at indirect kisses. The characters are as despicable as they are pitiable. Nothing and no one—well-intentioned or otherwise (and boy-howdy is there otherwise)—is innocent, and even less (somehow) is given that romanticized sheen we like to nestle under our blankets with when we want to escape just how alone we feel.

And, impressively, it’s done without a hint of cynicism or dismissiveness. Scum’s Wish may not whitewash the hazards of love, but there is a great deal of distance between the disavowal of love and an acknowledgment that not all acts of love (or acts born of loving) are good, healthy, or pure. The show wraps itself in the latter, the infinitely more prominent, unfortunate counterbalance to wanting what the heart wants: every hateful, disgusting, self-loathing thing we use to fill in the absence of returned affection.

It is packed to the rafters with scandalous twists, mischievous turns, and hefty emotional payoffs that will always pull you—wrenching gut and all—from one episode to the next. Sure, you’ve seen a melodrama or two that’s done all that, but not with this levelheadedness, this honesty.

A must-watch for anyone who loves love—and, perhaps, an eye-opener for anyone who hates it.

haize78's avatar
Apr 5, 2017

This is most definetely not your usual romance/love triangle anime. So if you're expecting some light-hearted and funny rom-com that follows the standard pattern of the genre and makes you feel all fluffy and good about yourself by the end, don't even try watching it.

Personally, I think it's a well-done and thought-provoking anime about unrequited teenage love. I admit that the first episode seems pretty fucked-up, but then I was sucked in by the really good portrayal of the characters, their inter-relationships and their psychological development. And not only that, the development of the anime's themes and the overall tone of the anime, while dark it is also sad and beautiful in its own melancholic way.

If you want to stay on the surface, all that you will see is ecchi and high-school sex, with the clichèd theme of the high-school students falling for their sensei. The ugliness of people using each other and sex to escape loneliness. But it's so much more than that. It's a poignant narrative of teenage heartbreak - and it's important to point out that it's confused teenagers we're talking about because the context in which it all develops is the strenuous attempt to deal with and understand one's feelings and desires in relation to other people and in doing so, define one's own personality and self. So, yes, many times the protagonists will make you cringe and you'll feel the urge to shout at them because of how stupid they are. But love hurts and it isn't rational, not ever - especially not at that age.

The protagonists are Mugi and Hana, both hopelessly in love with their senseis, who form a "contract" of sorts to provide solace to each other in order to escape the loneliness of their unrequited love. And the love triangles go on increasing, each one adding new undertones. Admittedly, by the end I think they probably exaggerated with the number of love triangles that were added to the plot.

And, from another point of view, it was also an interesting watch to me because it made me think about my very own first unrequited teenage love. While I was watching, I couldn't help comparing how I lived it to how Hanabi lives hers. To me, it just made me feel bad about myself, rejected, not wanted, not worthy of my love interest's attention, so the logical deduction in my mind was that I wasn't worthy of anyone's attention or love at all. Anyone at all. And before I managed to overcome the pain, hurt and alienation that I one-sidedly inflicted on myself thanks to this perverse mechanism, years had to pass. Mugi and Hana, live it differently. They don't withdraw into themselves, cutting everybody else out in denial. They turn to another person and it's interesting to see how this pans out.

I also appreciated how the moral aspect isn't thrown at you. It would have been easy for the authors to point their metaphorical fingers at the moral implications of Mugi and Hana's promiscuity, telling the viewers how bad bad bad they are. But they didn't. It's more subtle. Hana at a certain point risks very much becoming exactly like her nemesis, Akane. But then she doesn't. But there's no one there that spells it out to you, just watch and see what happens and draw your own conclusions.

It's not an anime that wants to make you feel good about yourself, quite on the contrary it depicts some really ugly aspects of human personality. But...but in my opinion, there is something more there than just making the viewers feel terrible about themselves. Something that goes deeper and is more meaningful. I'm not saying that I particularly liked the ending, because I didn't. But what makes it worth veiwing in my opinion is something related to how the characters aren't afraid of putting themselves on the line and via trial and error gain an understanding of themselves.

7.8/10 animation
7.8/10 sound
7.8/10 characters
7.8/10 overall
TforTevdetta's avatar
Apr 2, 2017

ok... goddamn. This show is incredible work! highly recommended if you have high standards and no time for repetitive love triangles.

I've watched plenty of shows centred around love and love triangles (which never evolve, are filled with sexual tension, and make you hate all the characters).

This show is exceptional!

Rarely have I seen an anime accurately present the trauma of heartbreak, and hard-work of love. The characters are realistic and relatable, they approach the emotional torrents of love in their own independent ways. the writing shows strong character development, showing how relationships and emotion change you.

long story short, this is a painful journey to obtain love and respect. beautiful and hectic. this show masters the tale of young love.

Osiummaster's avatar
Apr 1, 2017

The only way to repair a broken whore is by becoming the ultimate beta cucklord - Kuzu no Honotrash

Don't watch this piece of garbage. It's not good. It's not realistic. It's bad and everyone who thinks it's good after finishing it should feel bad. 10 episodes of buildup lead to one of the most shallow "trying to be deep" endings I've ever seen.

MichIlhi's avatar
Mar 31, 2017

I was amazed at this anime, i didnt expect much in the begining and was merely curious and it turned into the very first one i ever wanted to write a recommendation for! Character developement is amazing! There is not ascene wasted in storytelling, It is seriously deep and i felt everything very strongly. The points are coming across clearly, the pacing is amazing, just when you ask yourself "but what about them?" you will be given an episode with a different point of view!

I highly recommend this for persons with interest in psychology and patience for resolutions out of really messed up situations at first glance.

:D

OmniscientAristocrat's avatar
Mar 28, 2017

Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous. The art perfectly cultivates the mood in each scene. This and the music combined add an aura to every moment. watching this anime is like reading an animated manga. There are familiar boxes as you might see with perfect color and animation.

Scum's Wish is a romance type anime where two characters suffer from the feeling of unrequited love. These two decide to "date" so that they may fill the void in each other by pretending to be with the person they desire. This plot might remind you of the popular anime known as Toradora, but don't be fooled because it is much more intricate.

From the synopsis alone we expect to see these two people fall in love, but soon after watching you find that that's not the case. There are multiple intertwining romances that we get to see in one anime alone. I find this unique because typically there is one main romance and possibly a side plot, but with Scum's Wish we experience many different relationships with unique conditions.

Scum's Wish explores the darker sides of love. It shows how love makes a person go crazy. It shows how you could love someone if they were the worst person ever and it shows us that not every romance works and you have to let go sometime.

My Opinion and Side Thoughts

Warning the rest of this passage contains spoilers that deal mainly with the plot.

In scum's wish I was shocked to see that there was a dark side to the teacher Akane. I honestly thought she was a good hearted person and that Hanabi simply hated her because she was infatuated with Kanai, her crush. I think this was a good decision though because it opened up new possibilities in the progression of the story.

Speaking of story, I'm disappointed. The plot is marvelous, but it upsets me slightly because the whole story shifts completely by episode 9/10. Rather than Mugi and Hanabi being the center of attention, this anime focuses majorly on Akane and Kanai and Akane and Mugi. I'm in support of Hanabi and Mugi and I hope they end up together in the end as episodes of this anime are still coming out.

9.8/10 overall
ButcherT's avatar
Mar 20, 2017

Good fap came harder than a rock

It's about people who can't get over their crushes then they cry and fuck others instead but still cry

HOPIE26's avatar
Mar 9, 2017

I wasn't planning on watching Scum's Wish, but I'm glad I did. This is a poignant, painful and realistic view of human relationships - beautiful in both it's fragility and startling realism. It is indeed intended for more mature audiences, but the sexual content in the show is true to the characters and their motivations, so I wouldn't consider it unecessary. Beyond the theme of love and sexual awakening, the show touches on discovering and accepting your true and authentic self, even if you aren't who you believed yourself to be. Ultimately, Scum's Wish is emotionally satisfying, yet heart-breaking.

UPDATE: After watching the final episode, I stand by my review. This is a true to life, dramatic anime. Heartbreak and all. If you want a 100% happy ending, this anime is probably not for you.

FairyxGirl's avatar
Mar 1, 2017

I think you all should stop to judge this anime before seeing it to the end. Please, this is stupid. Especially if you have seen only one episode... you say she has an "Onii-chan fetish (ugh)", but for first, it isn't a fetish, she actually LOVES him. Some episodes later you'll get to know that they aren't related by blood, neither are they really brother and sister.

This is something that I really can't understand if people critics animes. They are mostly criticizing it for its genre. If you are criticizing idk, Highschool DxD (I don't like it, ok?),you say bla bla bla I don't like the fanservice, I don't like the boobs and pantieshots etc..... but PLEASE, it's ecchi! You should know that ecchi is full of boobs and fanservice!!! You can judge it for being a bad ecchi-anime, but you can't judge it for its genre! If you don't like ecchi it's okay, neither me likes it. But if you don't like echi, you don't need to watch it. The same goes for this anime. It's seinen and concentrates on sex. It's not fanservice, because the main focus IS sex and this fake-relationship. I you want to see a lovey-dovey shoujo then this is nothing for you.

Also they didn't have sex, neother in the school nor at home. They kissed and touched each other, but not more. The sex is part of the story and later other characters maybe will have sex, but this is okay. Plus,  if you are born with a brain you will see that it won't be a incestious anime. Hanabi never tried to come near to her "Onii-chan", so there isn't any possibilty that they would have a relationship or you know, do pervy things.

I like the anime. It has beautiful music, a good animation and the story is rellay interesting. I like it that you'll see the story from different sights. It tells a mature story that is really realistic and also cold. The characters are interesting even if I don't feel with them.

This my meaning about this anime now (Ep 7) and how people judges animes.

AnimeGameGuy's avatar
Feb 9, 2017

This anime has a really good story which i kinda like. But to tell you the truth and the absolute truth, this anime is f**ked up. A girl likes a boy and the boy likes a different girl and a boy likes that girl. Its really hard to explain but all im saying is that having sex with a boy you dont even like and your doing this just to feel better about your stupid onii-chan is pretty messed up. I like verything else except the story and characters because it was all so messed up.

PS-They have sex in highschool and thats the part that i think is most f**cked up

6.8/10 overall
KamiMara's avatar
Jan 17, 2017

*spoiler alert*

writen by someone who is not a native speaker and has dyslexia lol

- first episode review -

okay so kuzu no honkai starts off with a girl who has a fetish for her onii-san (ugh) who is also her homeroom teacher. And a guy who also has a fetish for his old home-school teacher (I think something like that) also she is the music teacher at the same school. So because the boy and the girl are both in love with ther teachers, they decide to start dating each other so that they don't feel lonely. I was watching the first episode and I thought what the actually fuck: these guys just started dating and they already want to sleep together, just to comfort themselfs and pretend that the other person their beloved sensei is (if you know what I mean). With other words this anime is going to be some pervy anime with only fanservice (my opinion, don't judge me lol). But I think the plot can become interesting, and maybe it can become a good anime.

PS. the artwork is really nice

PPS. (I don't really like a onii-san fetish)

PPPS. (or an age gap relationship)

Bonvantius's avatar
Jan 15, 2017

This anime is a spectacle of art, both in visuals and symbolism. The way the characters are drawn with delicate lines almost resembles how fragile and vunerable they are.
It's a very eerie beauty that is conveyed.
The voice acting and particualrly the narration are exemplary in both lighter and darker tones of the show.
It's also worth mentioning the main theme that is one of the most touching tracks I have heard in a while. Truly mesmerising. The piano keys mix a sombre dip with a hopeful rise.
The characters are very fleshed out through simple yet informative backstory.
Overall it is a very mature and personal attempt at portraying human relationships.

clickergirl's avatar
Jan 15, 2017

My thoughts after seeing episode 1

The premise is really what drew me in. From the first episode, you really get a strong sense of sadness at the heart of hana and mugi's relationship. There ended up being more sexual themes than I  had expected, but I would advise against letting that be a reason to write it off. Because  during those more sexual scenes, the loneliness and saddness is the most present and it really emphasizes how twisted their relationship really is.

I reccomend this anime to more mature audiences, maybe 15-16+?

For now, I'm rating it a 7, just becuase i've only seen the first episode at this point and in that amount of time, they haven't gone deep enough into why Hana loves Narumi Kanai  and they certianly have not done nearly enough from Mugi's POV  and why he loves Akane Minagawa.

I think it has potential to be a very feelsy and psychologically profound anime that breaks out of the typical shoujo story, so I'll be sticking around a few more episodes!

ShadowBlazer3000's avatar
Jan 14, 2017

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: I'll have to let Scum's Wish (Kazu no Honkai) be a good reminder to really examine the premise of a show more closely before watching.  The genres were interesting enough to catch my eye in the first place, romantic drama, psychological and so on sounded like good makings for a more serious romance after watching the more light hearted and bubbly romance shows that I loved such as One Week Friends, Yona of the Dawn and Snow White With the Red Hair so the best I could hope for is something like Destiny of the Shrine Maiden (Kannazuki no Miko) but rather I end with School Days redux that mysteriously is trending better than School Days.

The basic concept of two teenagers forming a pact to quell their lonliness should sound and come as a heart breaking romance or the potential of a feel good story where they find the love with each other but the first episode left such a sour taste in my mouth that I only hope for a miserable end to our two little losers who deserve what they get.  Hanabi Yasuroka is in love with an older man who is her teacher and curiously referes to him as her older brother despite no relations and Mugi Awaya likewise is in love with a teacher that is in love with the man who Hanabi is in love with, can this awful love web become more convoluted and ridiclous.

Though having no actual romantic ties our two main characters certianly got physical enough to have the most casual sex and try to write it off as nothing and not being cheap friends with benefits.  Anime fans laude this show for the maturity but casual sex in an anime isn't maturity it's just fanservice that goes a little further.

The first episode by itself is a mess in structure jumping between time periods of past and present and the confusing referral of Hanabi's love interest as her brother leads a viewer to belive this may be an incest based anime.

Though only one episode in I already don't have a good feeling for the show, two deplorable and dispicable main characters.  What a wonderful story, two characters using each other to get with someone else.

KonohaNinja16's avatar
Jan 12, 2017

I have been waiting for Scum's Wish to come out so a few months now and here are my thoughts based on the first episode.

Animation: 10

The animation is beautiful and gorgeous and actually does a very good job of representing the art in the manga well. The colors were very pretty and seemed to fit the anime.

Sound: 10

I enjoyed the opening and the voice acting was good and solid.

Story: 10

The anime seems to follow the manga pretty well and the transitions between scenes are smooth(thanks to the wonderful animation. From what I've seen in the first episode they are going to follow through with adapting the manga and looks like they aren't going to skip over anything.

Characters: 8

It's great seeing them adapted on the screen and I like their designs. Though I would have expected the teacher to look a bit differently.

Overall this first episode was great and I can't wait until the next. I decided to write this review in order to spread word about this. Go and watch if you have not. Though this anime might not be for everyone. Again this anime is mature and has darker themes.