Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove It - Reviews

Alt title: Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumei Shitemita

Crua9's avatar
Jan 27, 2020

To be honest, this might not be bad if you're into love stories and if you don't care about if they are realistic about main things (like science and school). But for me, I found this to be a bit boring. The overall story is OK, but you can see what will happen a mile away. The "science" behind things is OK, but amature hour. Like if they were 3rd graders then OK. But they are trying to measure love.

Well, there has already been studies in this. They never get into what love really is and how to measure it. In the real world, our brains use dopamine as a reward chemical. Over time what causes it has to be increased in order to keep the feel good feeling going on. But what has been found is just by showing a picture of someone that you love, your dopamine levels increase. This even happens in dogs. Then you have brain activity which shows it, tolerance of their faults, and so on.

They are trying to measure if you love someones by heart level, temp, and other things like that. Things that a virus can produce, or some other thing like childhood trama.

I mean this isn't a bad show to teach someone the basics of science. Like how to make a theory, testing it, and so on. But it doesn't really cover that in detail, and I have my doubts that the majority who are into romance anime will care deeply about that in the first place.

5.5/10 overall
dbyun's avatar
Jul 19, 2020

Instantly became one of my favorites

The only surreal aspect is the huge amount of sleep these graduates had.

As a science-type myself, I must say that I really enjoyed every part of it. The characters can be relatable to fellow nerds at times and are overall likable.

As great as the plot and characters are, it's also educational and the parts with little explanations kept one interested in data science as in standard knowledge in mathematics, physics and biology.

8.5/10 animation
haamta's avatar
Mar 22, 2020

This anime was really interesting - I've never really seen a concept like this, so it was extremely fun to watch. Both of the main characters were adorable (like seriously, Himuro's ponytail wagging was so cute--), and even the side characters had lovable personalities. Story-wise, it flowed well, with only problem being that sometimes the interruptions by the bear, as well as the long-winded explanations of random theories that popped up, got a little boring at times.

However - the ending was extremely satisfying, the little moments of comedy throughout the plot were entertaining, and I surprisingly learnt a lot about science and maths watching this. I feel kinda smarter...somehow. Even though I procrastinated on homework to watch this. But hey, at least now I can tell my parents that I learnt about the Riemann Hypothesis - from an anime, no less!

fresh123456's avatar
Apr 11, 2020

while not super serious about the proof in question and uses (purposefully) hillariously naive approaches - the series does present actual scientific methods and problems in an entertaining fashion, and being an undergraduate i can see some few of the jokes aimed specifically at my demographic; but mostly, the show is presenting the ideas in a very compelling and simple way ("for dummies") that i really recommend it as a cool "tl;dr" to various topics that you can read further about if intersted. the academic dynamics are fun to watch but i wouldn't take anything here too literally or as a super realistic depiction, so yeah use common sense. (e.g: i hope it's obvious that something like a beach episode is a pretty funny  wink of "keeping the tradition"). this is why i think the show succeeds in bringing the general idea and the spirit of such places enough to maybe get people excited. it's downsides are indeed some unfortunate inaccuracies and not taking anything too seriously that mostly try to bring some closure and the big picture rather than all the specifics. that's why you should watch it if you feel like you want a silly and lighthearted intro to the topics and character dynamics; if you are already into science, or already finding the notion of love funny when thought through - it's an easy recommendation for a nice way to pass the time; otherwise i probably wouldn't rush to watch it.

6.4/10 overall
moonshawdow444's avatar
Aug 30, 2020

You have to be a science person like the characters in the show to really appreciate every moment I think. This just reminds me and some people in my life in the STEM field who use science to prove everything XD It is a very fun and lovable show but could easily see it being dropped by people who are not into science and math. Part of the fun was seeing real theories and equations used in it which was very laughable. The story did feel slow and pointless at some points but has a special place in my heart now.