Salaryman's Club - Reviews

Alt title: Ryman's Club

silverskies's avatar
Apr 17, 2022

(Updated/Edited)

Let me first start by saying it's nice to see anime about Adults. I've enjoyed watching this every week! The office setting was a joy to watch and to see adults balancing both hobbies and work is a nice touch. The visuals were nice to look at. As for the sport of badminton it opened and exposed many people to an underrated sport. I liked how committed every character was to the sport and how they wanted to keep going, despite having their villain of a boss wanting to take it away. As an adult, it's important to have hobbies and I think this show expressed that perfectly. A good sports anime with a nice pace.

It gave me different vibes than most sports anime that takes place in a high school setting. Maybe because it gave me a sense of a small slice of life vibes which is understandable because of the office setting and how a team on and off the court work together to achieve their goals. The story was relatable because as an adult we too have hobbies and goals we want to achieve, so it was nice seeing an anime that focused on relatable aspects of life.

The dynamic between Mikito and Tatsuru was a fun part of watching this anime. The two of them balance each other out, all while being complete opposites both off and on the court. While Tatsuru is more of a free-spirit person with not many worries. Mikito is the kind of person who is more self-contained and a bit distant and quiet. When it comes to playing together they both have an understanding of how they want to play, which takes time and effort. Though they managed it and are now able to read each other while playing.

I really enjoy the sounds, to be honest. The way the racket would hit the shuttlecock, along with displaying how fast and powerful each player hits it. The office setting was a nice touch as we actually got to see what their project was and how it all played out.  I adored how we as viewers got to witness them playing with other teams, and witnessing their work life. Each character had some type of struggle to overcome either an injury or past trauma. It was relatable.

Thanks for reading.

8.5/10 story
8.5/10 animation
8.5/10 sound
8.5/10 characters
YukinaZero's avatar
Jun 10, 2022

I don't really get the premise, like seriously I've spent way too much time considering if this is like a real life thing in Japan or how grow men even in there prime can get off a full work shift and immediatly practice as a profesional athlete without becoming dead exhusted and burned out.

Whatever, it's anime and I'm willing to forgive a lot for anime, espically if its sports shonen. I loved this show from the start, it hit all my weak points. Fun (hot) characters, engaging plot. If you like sports anime then I highly recommend this.

8.9/10 overall
kizmazcan's avatar
Jun 2, 2022

It is a total gem. As we all know in the most new gen animes have poor animation and lausy adaptation from mangas or light novels (most of the time). But this anime is realy good in both aspects. It is an original work with realy satisfying animation and fantastic seiyu cardo. Watch it for sure.

Alezandra's avatar
May 3, 2022

This was a pleasant surprise.  It is indeed a pleasure to watch a sports anime with an adult cast.  I though the title was initially off-putting and that this might become an ecchi type of show for guys. But it is definitely not.

It felts reminiscent of Haikyuu! with the way they animated the playing of badminton - the exagerrated swing of the rackets to hitting the shuttlecock to its pinpoint accuracy of the shuttlecock hitting the court. We can see their coach weilding a big ass fan and uses this as the racket to practice with the players. There's also this so called "foresight" that enables our main lead Shiratori san to know where the shuttlecock will be received with such accuracy. It's so unreal yet it's FUN to watch anyway. I have played badminton before and this show makes me want to go out there and play again.

You can also see flashbacks for certain players of how they did back in their highschool days, and what took them to where they are now. You'd also see a sliver of backstories from their competitors too. All in all just to liven things up and progress the story forward.

What I enjoyed the most is that they have actual jobs and it's product development, marketing and sales. They were able to intersperse these elements seamlessly. I was invested in their Green Onion Ginger Ale drink like "Yes, I actually wanna try that?"

I've also appreciated that they represented adult/s who may have stopped playing the sport but are still keen to go back. You see the struggle to return to a sport that they believe that they are not meant to play anymore. It does pull your heartstring to see your supportive family telling you "Yes, you can do it!"

In the end, this was a heartwarming and light show that you can easily sink your teeth into. It's not just highschoolers who can enjoy sports with a tight knit team.

7.5/10 sound
Wellker's avatar
Apr 17, 2022

I'll keep it short, i don't usually watch sports anime, since they're all kinda boring if you don't play the actual sports, but some animes are just built different. Salaryman's Club is definitely one of em.

I don't even play badminton, but it got me excited to watch em play! The relationship between characters are great too as it makes use of the double's badminton in this anime, basically forcing the characters to get along which makes for sme great plot and character development.

Unfortunately, it is still a 12 episode anime, so we don't get to watch the matches in full, and they don't spend too much time just hanging out and being friends (personal opinion) but if you just like smashy smashy badminton fun, you wouldn't mind it.

Conclusion, suprisingly good! I expected a sleeper andy sports anime, but it was actually pretty exciting and entertaining. If i had to nitpick, my complaint would be that the anime is too short for us to see their development and look into the other interesting characters, but other than that, i'd recommend!