Room Mate

Add review
aryancoconut's avatar
Jul 15, 2017

I really have no idea what the heck I just watched. I saw the low ratings and I thought I'd watch it just because I love to laugh at bad anime, but I don't even know if this could be considered an anime at all because it's just not really a show.

So it's kind of obvious from the very short description provided but there is no plot. What little plot there is, however, is extremely dull and revolves way too much around this constant awkward sexual tension between the three young men and the protagonist. I'm actually thankful that the episodes were just 4 minutes long because there's no way I would have wasted my time sitting through that for 20 minutes per episode. The whole thing is just a very vague, loosely stringed together and extremely awkward social situation that made me cringe more often than it entertained me. I already knew it was a POV anime before I watched it (I didn't even know those existed until now and I wish I'd never found out), but I wasn't expecting it to be quite that awkward, seriously.

The reason I'm not giving this a 1/10 or even a 0.1/10 is because I actually thought the characters weren't bad at all. It seemed a shame, because in my opinion, if the same characters and setting had been put into a less weird, less awkward and less terrible show, it could have had real potential. Obviously I can't comment on character development though because it doesn't exist in this anime, if you can call it anime. But like I said, I wish the same characters had been used for something that actually had a decent plot and story behind it, because it seemed like a waste. I kind of wanted to know more about the characters as people, so using them in such a short, disastrous show was definitely a mistake.

The animation is just your average, run-of-the-mill animation for a series that came out this year. Nothing bad, but nothing good, it just gets the job done. I must say that it would have been nice to have a change of scenery occasionally, considering the whole thing took place in just one building, but I can't really complain about that because the whole show totals to less than an hour's worth of episodes. The same can be said sound-wise except worse, because there's nothing that's really worth pointing out at all. You can tell hardly any work was put into the sound, but I suppose that's obvious from the outset.

Honestly, I can see why this show has such bad ratings because it breaks every rule that basic good anime should follow. My strong dislike of POV anime (and other similar things such as x-reader fanfiction) probably biases this review slightly, but if you watch it, I'm sure you'll see why. It's awkward at best and cringeworthy at worst. I understood from the beginning that this aspect was what was supposed to be appealing because the guys are cute or whatever, but it doesn't work. At all.

I don't regret watching it though, because not only has it made me realise just how brilliant some shows are in comparison to this trash, but it's also taught me to completely disassociate myself from anything that's filmed from the POV of the viewer. The word "cringe" is overused nowadays but it accurately sums up my experience with this. I suppose it's alright if you want to kill time, but there are so many better shows you could kill time with than this.

0.5/10 story
2.5/10 overall
Maarten's avatar
Jul 8, 2017

Strange story about a few (gay)boys. The episodes are short, i think thats ok because i think when it's a long story you will be bored.

I think when you are not gay you don't like Room Mate hihi, lol.

The Animation is ok, it's slow but nice to see.

The end song is good and always funny to see.

Characters in Room Mate are very seriously and this story, it give you the feeling your in the story, you are element of Room Mate.