Riddle Story of Devil - Reviews

Alt title: Akuma no Riddle

maladjus's avatar
Jul 20, 2014

Akuma no Riddle was very frustrating to watch because it's few potentially strong elements were at best used poorly and in other instances flat out thrown aside. And there was plenty else to just get on ones nerves.

The story elements had potential; an all-girl classroom of assassins who compete with one another to graduate by being the first to assassinate one particular classmate within 48 hours or face expulsion, a mysterious man of riddles with an obsession for rolling his dice, a budding romance between two classmates. One would think this could lead to a lot of action, suspense, mystery and emotion, but if you are seeking that, look elsewhere.

The female characters were far too similar to one another. The love story felt unbelievable, as in how could these two people have feelings for one another? And one of the main  characters consistently referring to herself in the third person gets very old very quickly. Each episode was quite predictable from beginning to end with the exception of the final episode which was unpredictable because it made no sense at all. And the underlying question of the mystery man and his riddles? The revelation of his motivations is altogether unsatisfying.

The animation was fair, and perhaps stands out more given the weakness of the other show elements.

The sound during the episodes was mostly forgettable. But in a sincere effort to end on a positive note, one element I did enjoy each episode was the closing credits. Each episode closes with a unique set; new imagery and new music (much of which was pretty good) and the images used, unlike the overall story, actually made sense and tied in well with the episode it closes out.

I would recommend Akuma no Riddle only as a show to watch in contrast to many other animes to gain a better sense of what works and what doesn't work. I appreciate other shows more when I watch ones like this.

Hellsing1991's avatar
Jun 4, 2014

may contain minor spoilers!

I was referred to this anime from DanganRonpa, an anime I greatly enjoyed.
My inital response was that this anime will be alright, no high hopes after reading the summary, but my views got even lower after the first 5 episodes and it's all because of the main characters.

My main dislike is that everyone is there to asassinate one girl, and she soon finds out they are trying to but she still tries to befriend them all and when one hands in the notice to asassinate she's shocked! It might just be me but with DanganRonpa the anime I was referred from, they had no choice and it was kill or be killed, with this it's 'they're going to try killing me, better believe them all and get into danger' she puts the main protagonist through hell when she decides to protect her, since she is so gullible.

The protagonist, well my only quarell is that she is an amazing asassin, shown right from the beginning but then boom, change of heart.

I would have preferred this anime to be more of a mystery such as guessing who the target is before time runs out or something, but overall I'm disappointed in it.

I would recommend DanganRonpa over this anime in a heart beat, it keeps you guessing and it has more action.

Update -

From the latest episode, I have to say I am dissapointed in this series, it had the potential to be equal to Dangan Ronpa but the ending was completely unsuited for an anime about assassins, I wouldn't avoid this anime, but I wish many things were changed to be better suited to the overall theme of this anime.

Quite contradictional here but I am a sucker for the happy endings, but it does not suit the overall anime.

In the end, after watching this series I will say I am indifferent about it, there are things I liked and things I didn't like, but the way it ended gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.

I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys anime with a happy ending.

4.5/10 overall
tennis101101's avatar
Jul 21, 2015

Overall I think that this was a good anime. It had a good story line for the most part of the anime except for the last episode was a little wierd. The anime had a good animation to it. The characters and the scenary were well desined and most had alot of fine details to them. The music in the anime was good, in my opinion. Some of the voices for some of the characters, in my opinion, did not fit the desing of that character and either the voice was to high pitched or to low pitched. For the most part I liked some of the characters like some of the main characters but some of the secondary and minor characters really ticked me off and I felt like they do not really belong.

7.5/10 story
6.5/10 characters
bronx819's avatar
Jun 23, 2014

I'm trying to keep my bias down, forgive the almost perfect score, there are SPOILERS so don't read unless you've watched/read the whole thing.

Story: To start off let me say I have certain preferences to, I don't know how to call it so I guess situations or story aspects, some of which are an assassin defecting to protect their target, and yuri. Akuma no Riddle has both which reeled me in without question. I was a little disappointed that AnR almost went with the whole 'an episode an assassin' deal. Other than that I love how it progressed. The students are all assassins save for the target, and one, Tokaku, defects for a reason she doesn't understand herself (its later discovered possibly because she was influenced by Haru's charismatic ability, but she ends up liking Haru of her own free will). Each assassin has their own reason for being in Black Class and they all have backgrounds explaining their reason. Normally I dislike it when every character MUST have a tragic background but I didn't mind it much here. Plenty of people hate the ending and while I would have preferred a bit of a darker ending, preferably with Haru and Tokaku still being alive and lovey dovey but still dark, I was far from dissatisfied, oh and some characters almost dying but surviving was kind of annoying, nonetheless still awesome.

Animation: VERY nice, the colors fit well and the animation itself was fluid and nice to look at. Unfortunately appearances aren't my forte so I'll just say the animation was beautiful.

Sound: Sometimes the OST got a bit tiresome since they played the same ones a lot but aside from that its very nice, going from badass fighting music to the slightly tragic scene music, and some nice pieces for when the characters aren't killing or being hateful. The opening is great, and although music isn't my forte either I loved Maaya Uchida's voice and the epic intruments. All of the endings are awesome too, although normally I'm more inclined to badass music I liked some of the nicer, lower songs, like Haru's ending.

Characters: Appearance wise the only character I didn't like very much was Kouko, but it matched her strict and intelligent personality so I found it appealing. Other than that all the characters were designed very well. A lot of people complain about character development in general but I've never understood why they do. Aside from the ones that disappear early on they develop well enough. Their personalities are all unique and interesting: Tokaku is cold and practical, but quick to anger at times; Haru is friendly outside and inside but gets depressed when her classmates try to kill her since she wants to be friends with all of them; Isuke has a slutty nature of sorts what with her outfit and calling Tokaku a virgin, doesn't like to make friends either; Takechi kept her friendly front until she revealed her true nature as someone who gains pleasure from killing; Haruki is an upfront girl who cares very deeply for her family; Kouko is studious and disciplined due to living in a church run by an organization secretly training assassins, Shiena seemed normal enough but later on was shown to have an intense love for theatre; Hitsugi plays the innocent loli but is a killer on the inside; Chitaru is a chivalrous girl with a very protective attitude toward Hitsugi; Mahiru was shy and introverted while Shinya was rude and forward; Hanabusa is an ojou sama who isn't arrogant but has a noble nature; Suzu is mature and wise due to her long years of living; Nio is a cheerful girl who constantly smiles but is the arbitrator for Black Class and acts like it. I loved all of the characters and their relationships with each other, Kaiba and Mizorogi included.

Overall I am a bit of a diehard fan so you can ignore this, I love Akuma no Riddle for its everything, the yuri, the action, the backgrounds of the characters. And to those that say the ending is confusing please try to understand it before saying its bad, I'll clarify a bit here. The reason Tokaku killed Haru despite her feelings was because she wanted to prove that she could, that she wasn't under Haru's influence, she loves Haru and vice versa

9.5/10 animation
8.5/10 characters
tollie01's avatar
Jan 26, 2020

First some items I need to adress. I'm Dutch to expect some spelling errors, if they are to annoying just message me and I'll fix it.

My opinion may vary from others and this is fine. People are different so there is a good chance that I will not like what you love. Deal with it. I'm not telling you that you should hate it too, I'm telling you why I didn't like it.

I'll try to keep swearing to a minimum but fail utterly on occasion. In general it is the more the anime pisses me off the more I swear so watch out for the low scored ones.

Art: It's fine, not good but certainly not bad. Action was easy to follow and characters were easily identifyable. What more could you want?

Sound: While I normally don't pay attention to the music it must be noted that they put in some actual effort here as each episode has its own ending credits song. Even the visuals change to reflect on the assassin that the episode focussed on.

Characters: The main character is Tokaku. As the current heir of the Azuma clan she is feared by all as her clan is known for producing some of the deadlyest assassins ever known. She, however, wishes otherwise and not become an assassin.

Haru is a young girl who has been targeted by assassins since her early childhood and lost pretty much everyone close to her. She hides her pain behind a bubbly, happy go lucky personality. She tries hard to befriend the people in her class eventhough she knows that they are there to kill her.

Story. Tokaku is the last in a long line of extremely capable assassins. Her first mission is to set out and join class Black at the Myojo Academy. There her mission is to kill Haru before anyone else can. As she learns more about her target she comes to care for her and eventually changes sides to become her bodyguard.

Rant. The concept of the anime is very simple: Class Black has 13 students, 12 of them are assassins or killers and one is the target. The one who gets her gets their greatest wish fullfilled, no matter how outlandish. What fails the anime is the execution of the story.

There are 13 episodes but the 13th is basically a bonus episode that has very little to do with the overall arc. The main problem I had with the anime was the characters and the way the episodes were structured. As usual with ensemble casts they get introduced in just a number of epsiodes and things move straight on to the main plot.

So, every episode starts with one of the assassins waking up, we getting the back story of the assassin, her sending her notice of intent to kill Haru and their actual attempt. Rince and repeat.

The problem here is twofold. The first is that up to this point we know next to nothing about the assassin except for her public face. This means nothing as this is an obvious front and not her actual personality. So we get the bare minimal background information on who she actually is and what she wants in return for killing Haru. It boils down to roughly 5-10 minutes of a 20 minute episode per character. This is not nearly enough to make me care that she has siblings who live in poverty somewhere. I don't know her and I don't know her siblings since the anime just literally pulled them out of its ass. I. Do. Not. Care.

The second issue is that we, as the audience, immediately know who the killer is right at the start of the episode. In other words: there is no tension for us about who the potential killer is.

Haru is NOT an interesting character to follow. You learn early on that she has been targeted for attack since an early age and she got hurt a lot. Also everyone she knew and loved sacreficed themselves to save her. She has therefore made a vow to graduate from class Black and live het life. It is therefore to bad she has the survival instincts of a lemming that is stuck on a cliff but feels the need to go for a walk.

Tokaku also has a back story and you will get many many many many many many many many many many hints to that effect. I lost count to the number if times I saw the clip of the trees rustling in the wind, the body on the ground, child Tokaku looking on and the shrine in the background. It was annoying, distracting and ultimately pointless.