ReLIFE

Add review
roriconfan's avatar
Jul 24, 2016

ReLife is yet another show that is more about themes that execution. As long as you like its premise and find the characters likable, it doesn’t matter how it plays out. For example, many people found it very relatable because they could really understand the problems the characters are facing. I found nothing relatable in it; I hated high school and the idea of having to relive it is horrifying.

But first things first. The premise is about a NEET who is given the chance to become younger with super technology and go back to high school. Supposed, the only way he can find meaning in adult life is by repeating the boring and aimless routine of going every day to the same place and learning about things he will forget as soon as the exams are over, while being surrounded by people with half his knowledge and experience.

The premise completely ridiculous. If you have psychological problems, you go to a psychiatrist, you join a therapy group, or you talk about it with friends and family. You don’t run back to a lifestyle when all your needs were taken care by adults and the worst thing that could possibly happen to you is your school club losing in some competition.

My point is, the show pretends to be about healing one’s mental wounds, when it’s closer to escapism, not any different from most other anime that take place in the golden years of one’s life. Which for some reason is high school, where everybody is a hormone crazy asshole, and not elementary school when everything is simple and the whole world is a magical playground. Why ain’t those years the most relatable?

I will tell you why. Because no sex. We can’t have romantic interests and intercourse without being sleazy pedophilia. The truly most relatable years are sacrificed for the sake of shipping wars and sexual tension, the stuff that attract most people to anime. I mean, hearing about the premise of the series you would immediately expect the protagonist to be constantly trying to have sex with girls half his age. That’s what the average male would try to do first, if he is amongst naïve and easily exploitable schoolgirls. But, just like in any non-hentai series, nothing happens besides a lot of cock-teasing.

Of course that’s not how the show is presenting itself as. Since we see everything from the perspective of an adult, means that everything is far more self-aware about what is going on. Which is completely not like any other school comedy, since those are written and voiced by teenagers thus are not self-aware, am I right? Having an adult amongst teenagers is nothing more than a running joke. Oh look, he is not allowed to smoke or drink alcohol, so funny. And look, he gets tired way faster during gymnastics, this is hilarious.

What’s even worse is that the show is hardly about the protagonist retracing his footsteps. Most episodes are about normal teenagers having typical teenager problems you can find in any run of the mill series with a school in it. The very theme is not explored much.

What’s even worse than that is the magic pills which are used for kick-starting the plot. I find nothing relatable in a premise that is based on a ludicrous usage of high-tech. I mean, holy shit, you discovered a drug that makes people look young. This could revolutionize the cosmetics industry and open up a dozen philosophical schools of thought, concerning the importance of aging when it’s no longer visible. The entire human history would change forever! And instead of that, they use it for letting a few NEETs run back to high school, with the hopes of becoming better people by reliving it.

And the magic technology does not even stop there. No matter what happens, everybody will forget the protagonist after one year. They literally reset everything at the end, so there won’t be any actual repercussions for his actions, and then they insist this is not about escapism. And holy shit, how do they expect people to get better out of this project when they know the friends they made, the experiences they had, and the things they learned will be all wiped out at the end? What kind of a NEET would become a better person this way? He is just going to waste his time not studying or making friends and will instead be fucking school girls. And when it’s all over, he is just going to be an expelled sex offender, begging to be given more pills, so he can continue doing the same shit for eternity.

And wait a second, if you have mind-wiping technology, why are you using it like this instead of taking away the devastating memories from tortured victims, or the memories that made someone a criminal, thus giving them a second chance in a normal life? Why are you instead making hundreds of normal people to forget someone and risk causing some sort of a mental disorder? They did many things together and all of a sudden they won’t be able to remember who was sitting right next to them for a whole year. Hundreds of innocent people will go nuts!

But it’s not like we get a conclusion to realize that, since the show has no ending and there is not much source material out for a second season. There is not going to be a sequel for many years, and by the time it does nobody will care about it anymore. All they give you at the very end is a last moment plot twist about a girl in the class being another guinea pig with the same age as the protagonist. And so conveniently happens to be the one the protagonist tries to have sex with first.

This convenience allows us not to consider him a manipulative asshole who is boning girls half his age. It’s also lazy writing but it’s not like anyone gives a shit about that. All it matters is to be relatable by having an adult pretending to be a teenager and offering shallow meta-commentary about stuff you get in any run of the mill school comedy. Boring!

There were similar anime in the past, all about guiding a hopeless generation, from Great Teacher Onizuka, to Welcome to the NHK. None of them had such illogical stuff in their premise to break the immersion right away. Although they were usually pretty optimistic and naïve, I never felt like they were bullshiting the viewer to this degree. ReLife is just pandering a core audience and then pretends to be smart and different. It’s not, it’s another shitty school comedy with awful messages that go against the very life lessons it’s trying to teach.

Mystotakun's avatar
Jul 10, 2016

Every new season we anime fans are treated with countless slice of life shows; shows which do nothing more than make us watch other people living their life. These type of shows tend to attract a certain audience and also are hit or miss. Thankfully ReLIFE is a 13 episode hit.

The story follows Arata Kaizaki, an unemployable 27 year old single man living off his parents money. After leaving his job three months after his graduation, Kaizaki's life never got any better and spiralled downwards. After going to another interview he was turned down, to make matters worse his mother calls him and tells him that she is cutting off his money. Beaten down and having already given up on the world, Kaizaki finds himself face to face with a mysterious man, Ryo Yoake, who asks him to be part of a yearlong experiment with Yoake's company paying for Kaizaki's living expenses and a guaranteed job at the end of it. And all Kaizaki has to do is swallow a pill. Oh and redo the last year of high school while he looks like a 17 year old.

The first few episodes really drive home that Kaizaki is out of his element, looking around his classmates he keeps reminding himself and the viewers that he in fact ten years older than all of them, and hell, his homeroom teacher is only 25!

These first couple of episodes really brings home the comedy aspect of the show; it's slightly off-the-wall, it's incredibly awkward as Kaizaki has to pretend to be a normal 17 year old student. His interactions with the other characters are joyous to watch and eventually he starts becoming quite comfortable with his new one year life. While the premise of the show isn't anything new, the way ReLIFE handles it gives a breath of fresh air.

As the episodes go on Kaizaki becomes closer and closer to Chizuru Hishiro, a stoic and friendless girl and through his influence she starts opening up and becomes part of his little circle of friends. However I did find that after a while Hishiro became somewhat of a side character, especially in the latter half of the show where it was more focused on another girl in the show, Rena Kairu, but I'll get into that later.

As a story it does little to change up the typical romcom/drama format that we've seen countless times but that never stopped it being enjoyable for me. Admittedly I'm a sucker for those type of shows but alas. The show does start falling into the typical romcom format after the first few episodes but I found that it didn't bother me all that much, it's what happens in the last year of school and as viewers we are more akin to Kaizaki and his opinion of his surroundings as a fully grown adult.

While I'm no expert in this department, I did really enjoy the look of this anime. It's not the greatest designed show in the world but it does what it needed to. The backgrounds are typical high school setting and don't do anything to change that up, not that I was expecting anything groundbreaking.

There are a few moments when the characters become quite chibi-like or their facial expressions become less designed and over-the-top, which I found really fit the scenes in which they were used. As you can probably expect, this happened more in the comedy moments the anime had to offer.

The background music was fairly decent, as was the OP theme and the different EDs for every episode. Nothing really stood out for me and I didn't rush to download the songs but that doesn't mean they were bad.

The voice acting was really good though, each voice actor played the character very well. As in a romcom, there will be a variety of quick comedic timing that require a certain charm to bring the humour while there are also heartwrencing moments that need something to make the audience feel some emotion and I feel like everyone did that very well for their characters. Speaking of which...

ReLIFE is a heavily character driven show, as such the characters will make or break it. The main character, Kaizaki, is incredibly enjoyable to watch and seeing how a 27 year old man copes with now being 17 is really entertaining. I found Kaizaki was my favourite character at the end of the show, something which shocked me as I normally find main characters to be some of my least favourite.

Hishiro is arguably the second main character and reminds me very much of Sawako from Kimi ni Todoke. For anyone that never watched/read that, Sawako is a shy/anti-social girl who doesn't have any friends, is always alone and when she smiles it looks like she's cursing you. Eventually Sawako gets two girl friends that are very close to her and she becomes incredibly close to the main male character. Hishiro is very much like Sawako - who admittedly wasn't an incredibly unique character, despite how much I adore her. As such I found myself really liking Hishiro, it's just a shame I liked her for another character and not herself.

Yoake, while not the main supporting character, is still a big character as without him the show couldn't exist. As part of Yoake's job he has to keep a distance from Kaizaki and observe him. As such he spends the majority of the beginning as a background character. It works though, it really really works and he's my second favourite character in the show. There is a flashback episode about him around halfway through the show which further explains this mysterious man but I always felt like there was more to him and I can't wait to find out more about him when I start reading the manga.

I'd consider Kariu the third main character, and pretty much is the main focus of the latter half of the show. I'd say there around 5 story arcs in the show, 3 of which have Kariu as a big focus, 2 of which are the final two arcs of the show. She gets quite a lot of character development; starting off as someone who always wants to win and becoming... well what she ends up becoming, I'm not going to spoil it.

The other characters come and go as they please and don't really add anything to the overall story. While Kariu and Honoka become the two girl friends that Hishiro has and they both have an arc about them, I never felt Honoka's presence was needed all that much. She also has two childhood friends; Nobunaga and Akira, who seemed really interesting to me but get little to no backstory and are there just for the sake of it. It would've been nice for these three to have been more relevant outside of the Kariu/Honoka arc but that's just not how this show goes.

An and Ohga are really good characters but fell flat overall as they weren't really expanded upon. An has one moment a few episodes in and Ohga has some in the last arc of the story but apart from that they just seemed to be there for the sake of it. While I liked Ohga's connection to Kariu I felt like it was added to further expand on her character rather than his character.

Overall

Overall ReLIFE pleasantly surprised me with its beginning. Kaizaki trying to cope in this semi-new enviroment and freaking out about some of the new rules - mobile phones being confiscated for a month back in his day yet are perfectly fine now - were really great, though it did lead me to one question.

Who exactly is this show aimed at?

On one hand it seems to be focused more towards the mid-20's audience; we're in Kaizaki's perspective 99% of the time and therefore his thoughts would match the thoughts the audience have about school. On the other hand though it seems like it targets the 17 year olds with how the show quickly progresses to a typical romcom/drama show. As such it makes it very difficult to recommend.

If you're a fan of romcoms then you will most likely enjoy this. The same can be said about drama too, however if you're a pure comedy fan and don't like the drama/romance aspect then you may want to steer clear of this. While the first few episodes will draw you in as it shifts genres you may feel thrown off, though there is the possibility that you'll become slightly attached to some of the characters and want to see more of them and their progression.

If you're a fan of the genre though then you should not give this one a miss. It may not be the best romcom of all time but it's an enjoyable ride all the same. You won't be disappointed.

Moonhawk's avatar
Jul 2, 2016

Every once in a while, there appears a title that doesn't strive to take the top positions in the anime ladders. A title that just simply serves the purpose of providing the viewer with a good time. A show that enables the spectator to temporarily escape from the struggles of everyday life, delve into the story and share a few enjoyable moments with its characters. Even though we tend to forget the contents of the show fairly quickly, the pleasant feeling of actually experiencing, what the title has to offer, lingers for a pretty long time. Recently, I grew very fond of this kind of shows. ReLIFE is yet another well-executed example of such pleasant experience.

The story itself follows the classic archetype of highschool drama/comedy we saw many times already. The main character with his own share of troubles spends his time meddling with various problems of his schoolmates, helping them out to obtain their desired happiness. Some may say that they are fed up with this clichéd design, but it doesn't really bother me. The reason is that this show is really well-executed. There is a lot of both funny and sad moments in ReLIFE, but it doesn't ever cross the borders of becoming irritating. The jokes don't seem forced and when there are sad moments filled with tears, I can empathize with the protagonists. Not every title can deliver this sort of emotions without them becoming too forced. I am also satisfied with the pacing of the anime. There were quite a few events in the 13 episodes that kept me entertained and interested the whole time. The paranormal aspect of the show, with the age transformation pill is also a wonderful fresh breeze in the genre of highschool anime and will probably play a big role in the future plot development.

Unlike most of the shows, ReLIFE doesn't introduce many characters. The main group consists of three boys and three girls. Aside from Arata (the MC), there are only two girls in the show, Rena and Chizuru, who undergo more serious character development. All the other protagonists moreless serve the supporting role. Given the fact that the show consists of only 13 episodes, this model seems adequate. There is also a room for the potential development of other characters (Ryo, An, Ohga), should ReLIFE receive another season in the future. If I ought to choose a girl that impressed me the most, I would go with Hishiro Chizuru. I find her personality and appearance rather appealing.

The audiovisual aspect of the show is by no means exceptional, but it fits well with the atmosphere. I am sure Hishiro's creepy smile will haunt me in the sleep for quite some time. The openings and endings were pretty average and didn't really stick in my head (which may be a good thing as well, considering the endless-loop-listening to my favourite anime music).

To sum this review up, I will state my final verdict. I am really glad I stumbled upon ReLIFE. It made my day (which I would otherwise spend with some boring game, thanks to the rainy weather) a very pleasant one. Even though I don't think I will remember much of this show in the future, it left a really good impression on me and I wouldn't hesitate to watch the continuation of the story. If you are wondering whether you should spend your time with ReLIFE, I can only recommend it. Trust me, you won't regret your decision.

SemilunarLiri's avatar
Jul 22, 2016

ReLIFE: A Generic Mix of Popular Anime Trends Lacking in Depth and Entertainment Value

The prospect of being able to live part of your life over again and do things differently isn’t a new setup in any media, let alone anime. One of the more memorable attempts at tackling this premise was a 1986 novel called “Replay”, but it was hardly the first. ReLIFE is late to the party, and it makes very little attempt at subverting this familiar premise. But that’s okay; originality isn’t everything. Having an unoriginal narrative that’s executed very well is far more valuable than having an original, poorly-executed narrative. All things considered, ReLIFE seemed to be primed for the former category, but ultimately, it wasn’t to be. There simply isn’t one quality I can recall that this show excels in. Not in pacing, not in characterisation, not in drama, not in art, not in animation, not in sound, not in comedy and not in tone. And for the record, having a poorly-executed *and* unoriginal narrative is the least valuable of the bunch. So before you jump into ReLIFE based solely on the weight of its premise, allow me to tell you just what you’re getting yourself into.

ReLIFE's scenario is likely familiar to anyone who has read their fair share of web novels; it's the "starting life again in another world from zero" premise that has been steadily wedging its way into recent anime adaptations. That said, ReLIFE feels far more reminiscent of Welcome to the NHK!, wherein the series delves into and ultimately seeks to 'solve' hikikomori issues and thought processes with stunning authenticity. However, this similarity only really extends as far as ReLIFE's initial premise. For better or for worse, ReLIFE only ever touches on NEET lifestyles once or twice throughout its 13-episode run, opting instead for an irritating amount of tiresome adolescent melodrama. Now, melodrama in itself isn't an inherently bad thing; if utilised competently, it can explore a particular theme in far greater depth and provoke far greater emotional impact than if it were to attempt to emulate the nuances and confines of reality. Melodrama is an incredibly helpful tool for dealing with hefty themes even if it ultimately cheapens a character's conflict when viewed from a critical outlook. It is unfortunate, then, that ReLIFE's themes are the weakest and most ill-defined element of the show.

ReLIFE began quite promisingly by setting up several intriguing plot and character threads to later be drawn on and building chemistry between characters with genuinely funny ー if largely hollow and repetitive ー humour. It gradually introduced several interesting and entertaining characters, though they never really stray far enough from their established stereotypes. ReLIFE set up its initial premise exceptionally well, held up mostly on the merit of its characters. However, the ultimate tragedy strikes when the show puts on too much weight for the characters to carry. ReLIFE starts to buckle when it first gives its audience a taste of drama though somehow manages to stay afloat just on the merit of its characters, but it falls flat on its face when it ends up shoving too much bad drama into the show.

Bad drama is drama that viewers can't relate to, care about or drags on for far too long. ReLIFE's particular brand of drama takes on the latter form by having the drama revolve around what amounts to side characters given too much screen time while the usual main characters are sidelined. It doesn't help that ReLIFE drags out this melodramatic subplot for an entire quarter of its run time, slowly chipping away at my patience and quickly pushing the focus characters from 'sympathetic' territory into 'irritating-and-just-get-on-with-it' territory. As time wore on, I grew to actively dislike, if not outright hate, most of the characters in ReLIFE as more and more melodrama was piled on in a weak attempt at keeping me on the edge of my seat. Admittedly, I was on the edge of my seat ー I came very close to walking straight out of the room and never looking back several times throughout these four agonisingly slow-paced episodes.

ReLIFE spends too much time on what amounts to meaningless drama with no lasting effect on the characters involved. These are the sorts of problems that I dealt with at the age of 13. In spite of the questionable weight of these issues, I was expecting to find it interesting and relatable, but I instead found it drawn out and ultimately shallow. ReLIFE wastes four episodes on angsty melodrama that has absolutely nothing to do with the protagonists, and it doesn't even have the decency to tackle it in any real depth. Worse than being shallow, it's also boring and lacks any weight because it's incredibly obvious how Kariu's problems are going to be neatly tied up in the end. As for enjoyment, my criticism is as follows: I've seen it done plenty of times before, and I've seen it done a whole lot better. And in ReLIFE's case, the characters that have been shoved into this subplot (such as generic sportsgirl #87408) don't have nearly enough depth for me to latch onto, or they are boring renditions of existing archetypes I've seen a million times over. Do you want good high school melodrama? Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou excels at it. Do you want shallow and inoffensive high school melodrama? Take ReLIFE or Yume Kara, Samenai.

ReLIFE is at odds with itself ー while its premise is designed for exploring its characters in a dramatic and meaningful way, most of its characters are designed primarily for light-hearted comedy and light character drama. It certainly doesn't help that all of the drama is predictable and boring, and when the show empties itself completely of comedy, it becomes a slog. Worse than this, ReLIFE decides that it suddenly wants to revolve around teen melodrama that bears little resemblance to its original themes for a quarter of its length. Not only does ReLIFE almost entirely lose its focus half-way through, but the narrative also becomes dry, boring and predictable. After a certain amount of tiresome melodrama, it becomes impossible to see these characters in a sympathetic light anymore. The more this subplot was dragged out, the more irritating the characters become. In the end, it amounts to nothing more than bad filler in a show that had no room for filler. Aside from the sparse developments for the protagonist and one other character, everything else is ultimately rendered moot after the subplot reaches its conclusion.

To recap:

• I don't care about the boring characters the show still hasn't fleshed out and has suddenly forced into Kariu's subplot.
  • I don't care about Kariu, the centric character of the subplot, so I don't care about her troubles.
  • I already knew how everything was going to pan out anyway.
  • I'm getting irritated at how long it's taking for the plot to actually progress.
  • Kariu's central problems leading to this subplot either have no significant impact on her as a character after they are resolved or they are just plain not addressed, meaning that the drama is shallow, drawn out, boring and ultimately feels meaningless.

Why should I care?

What most bothers me about ReLIFE is all of the wasted potential ー not only in that it doesn't explore any NEET-related problems or the fact that it wasted four episodes piling more melodrama on top of even more melodrama for characters that were never developed enough for me to care about in the first place, but also how ReLIFE doesn't follow any of its more interesting threads. Yoake is an interesting and, as it turns out, flawed character that isn't perfect at his job. ReLIFE spends an episode focusing on him and his past (another one of its subplots), but in spite of this focus, Yoake still remains largely mysterious to both Kaizaki and viewers; we don't really know what makes him tick. I wouldn't have minded if Yoake got four episodes to himself and his character was actually explored in a decent amount of depth; he has the potential to become an interesting AND multi-faceted character. Unfortunately, not only does ReLIFE spend this time on a much more irritating and less interesting character, it also reduces Yoake to gags most of the time, which means we rarely ever get to see the real him.

And it isn't only Yoake, either ー An, another character who *should* be prominent in ReLIFE doesn't get nearly as much screen time as she deserves. In fact, she gets even less time than Yoake. Much like Yoake, she is mysterious and a lot of her qualities feel vague and ill-defined; her personality, her interests, her perspective and also how she feels about the romantic tension she oftentimes finds herself entrapped in. Fortunately, An has a lot more surface personality than Yoake and has a bigger role than gags most of the time, but because she has even less focus than Yoake, it all balances out in the end. We never get a sense of what makes either Yoake or An tick, and most of the focus that could have been directed at clearing up this vagueness is instead used for perpetuating its tiresome melodrama for far too long.

It's also worth mentioning that another good character, Chizuru, gets enough screen time for us to actually understand and care about her, but I often found myself thinking: "can we get back to something more interesting ー you know, like Chizuru?" She gets a decent amount of focus, which is something ReLIFE actually does quite well, but I feel that if the series focused more on her and less on generic insecure sportsgirl #59830 and Kariu's melodrama, it would have been a whole lot less irritating and even entertaining if done well. She disappears for episodes at a time, aside from getting maybe a line or two that don't help to progress the plot in the slightest. Chizuru was a big part of what made the comedy and light-hearted feel of ReLIFE work so well, but she essentially vanished in episodes 7-9; ReLIFE dumbly sidelined one of its best qualities to bring into focus one of its worst subplots.

Oh, and I almost forgot about Kaizaki ー you know, the protagonist? Hey, cut me some slack here, the show seems to forget about him a lot of the time, too! The show rarely decides to focus on the protagonist and his problems, but when it does, it's actually interesting. Kaizaki has so much screen time, yet we see so little of his character. Almost every time he engages with other characters ー and particularly the high school ones ー it's usually quite shallow because Kaizaki needs to stand as a symbol and self-insert for the older audience. None of the more interesting parts of his personality are shown; it's mostly just a way for Kaizaki to crack a joke or reference that the older audience can appreciate. If he showcases too much of his personality, that gets in the way of his status as an easy-to-slip-into pair of trousers. This means that he ends up stuck in a rather odd position as the protagonist ー he's boring, bland and ultimately just feels like an observer. Oh, but he's also an amalgamation of all the 'I'm getting near that age' tropes. Yeahhh, ReLIFE isn't great with handling its characters, but the worst of it is when the show starts dealing with Kaizaki's backstory.

Based off his introduction, one might make the mistake of thinking that Kaizaki is an interesting and flawed character, but this notion is mostly put to rest when Kaizaki's backstory is unveiled. Kaizaki is portrayed as a 'good' person ー the show even uses the term 'hero' to describe him ー with nary a flaw in his personality. It's society that is painted as evil, villainous, wrong, morally reprehensible and just all around dickish while ReLIFE makes every effort to portray Kaizaki as a decent person with no significant flaws. This is ReLIFE's crowning moment of wasted potential. Kaizaki's backstory turns out to be quite interesting, actually, but Kaizaki is still as boring as ever. This has to do with the fact that most of his dark backstory doesn't actually have a lot to do with Kaizaki himself; in it, he mostly plays the supporting role to someone else's main character. The problem with Kaizaki's backstory is that it isn't *his* backstory.

Oddly enough, Kaizaki has rather shallow characterisation in spite of being the protagonist; about his only real character flaw is, as briefly summarised by another character in the show, "a lack of confidence." He has difficulty coming to grips with his past, but there's not a lot else that viewers can find to latch onto Kaizaki as a character. Most of the time, he's simply used as a symbol for the 'approaching middle ages' demographic and plays the role of the counsellor in this high school drama. Unfortunately, Kaizaki turns out to be a phenomenally boring character that never strays far enough from his established archetype to grasp a firm sense of identity. But it almost seems as if he was never meant to develop like that; to Kaizaki, ReLIFE is 'feel good therapy.' By involving himself in and solving these kids problems (i.e. playing the counsellor role), he is expected to gain back some of the confidence that he has lost. Unfortunately, that still doesn't make Kaizaki an interesting ー let alone three-dimensional ー character; instead, it just makes him perfectly suited to overseeing most of the melodrama in this series. At best, it only serves as a justification as to why he sticks so close to his established archetype.

That said, there is some potential to take Kaizaki's character in an interesting direction and give him some depth in the future, but ReLIFE ends before any of this can happen. ReLIFE sets up a great many plot and character elements throughout its run but never draws on the more interesting ones, save for an exception or two with its final two episodes. However, there is some good news: while ReLIFE falls flat as a standalone season, if a sequel airs and actually goes about drawing on the massive amount of setup that ReLIFE has been building up with these 13 episodes, ReLIFE has the potential to become a series with more depth. With enough caution, a second season of ReLIFE could even be enjoyable if it focused a lot more on endearing characters like Chizuru, rather than irritating characters like Kariu. However, this potential certainly doesn't change how poorly-paced and terribly executed the majority of this season was; it only softens the blow. But ReLIFE isn't all bad.

ReLIFE spends its final three episodes attempting to make up for its terrible melodramatic subplot by reverting back to how it was initially, though it still makes a few feeble attempts at meaningful drama. And, surprisingly enough, ReLIFE does actually manage to redeem itself somewhat by its final episode, but it ends up failing on an entirely different level: by the end of its thirteen-episode run, ReLIFE hardly accomplishes anything. ReLIFE is a lot of setup without a lot of execution. Worst of all, ReLIFE doesn't even have a proper conclusion ー it merely cuts off, prompting viewers to pick up the manga if they want more. ReLIFE doesn't end up being much more than a bad advertisement for its parent manga series. When a show doesn't have a firm sense of identity by the end of its run, why would viewers want to delve further into the series? ReLIFE fails not only as a TV series, but also as an extended advertisement.

However, it must be said that the show does have a solid final two episodes that gradually repaired my shattered image of the characters. ReLIFE does follow a predictable flow with its romantic subplot, but it wasn't done poorly. That said, there is one thing that this last arc does quite well: authentic, well-paced and *light* drama. ReLIFE is at its best when it's taking itself seriously, but not ridiculously so. The comedic element is still present here, and it blends well with the drama. Better yet, the characters weren't irritating and it never really felt like the show was dragging on in spite of its undeniably slow pace. I even felt like I could get behind these characters and care about them, their troubles and even their trivialities. This last arc is everything ReLIFE should have been throughout its entire run, but only managed to pull off for half of its episodes.

Unfortunately, ReLIFE's subplot left a fat and ugly scar that wasn't so easily healed, and it ultimately hampered my enjoyment of ReLIFE when it was at its best. It's also regrettable that ReLIFE never truly ends, either. Just when ReLIFE was starting to get into the groove, it was over. On the bright side, that final arc did at least provide some solid setup for a sequel, though that means that this season suffered greatly for it. Had ReLIFE been more focused on what it wanted to achieve throughout its run and stuck more closely to its original premise, it might have ended up as a decent series. Unfortunately, ReLIFE is diluted with too much adolescent melodrama and never quite ends up tackling any issues surrounding NEETs. ReLIFE wastes any potential its initial premise has and resigns itself to being a generic high school drama series with Kaizaki playing the 'lecturer' role, telling these kids how they should go about solving their problems. The final two episodes amount to Kaizaki feeling down in the dumps about the fact that he will one day have to part ways with these kids that he has grown so attached to. It's admittedly executed well (unlike a certain melodramatic subplot), but it doesn't end up accomplishing a whole lot.

To top it all off, ReLIFE doesn't even have decent animation. At a moderate distance, characters lose facial distances. Colour is bland to the point where it could even be called dry. The animation is lacking too; In an attempt to disguise this, there is an excessive usage of what amounts to still frames with characters yapping their faces off. Character designs are mostly generic and boring, but An does have a mildly interesting design. However, the animation does shine in a few choice moments ー episode 4, in particular, has some interesting, creative and even visually appealing animation that does well to visually evoke a certain character's negative emotions. On the whole, though, the artwork and animation are reminiscent of an uninspired low-budget 2011 anime.

ReLIFE doesn't fare too much better in the sound department, either. Something particularly peculiar was the lack of background noise throughout the entire show; it was a rarity to hear crowds clamouring about, and background students make very little noise. This was something I kept noticing every now and again, and while I want to say it was immersion-breaking, the rampant melodrama already did a fine job breaking my immersion. On the non-diegetic side, ReLIFE doesn't sport much variety in its soundtrack. It's chock-full of piano and not much else. In addition to lacking much-needed variety, the tracks that are present are utilised at awkward times, further cheapening character drama. Hearing the same piece played over and over again whenever the show wants to portray drama is not only grating on the ears, but also degrades any emotional impact a scene could have had if it were silent or paired with a better track. ReLIFE's soundtrack is wholly unimpressive and, at its worst, detrimental to the tone this series is trying so hard to pull off.

All of that said, ReLIFE *does* see some mild success by having Kaizaki reflect on his life and his missteps, but it could have been so much more than this if it had actually utilised its premise in a meaningful way. Because of this, ReLIFE ultimately ends up as a bad show with a few redeeming points, rather than a good show with a few flaws. It isn't bad to the point that it's unwatchable, but it even falls below the average high school drama because it throws in too many unnecessary elements that are never properly expanded on. ReLIFE simply doesn't know what it wants to be, and before it can fumble around too much and possibly find some semblance of an identity, it cuts off without accomplishing anything truly meaningful.

What does this make ReLIFE in the end?

TL;DR

ReLIFE is a shallow, semi-funny, melodramatic, endearing, irritating, slow-paced, sentimental, mildly engaging, largely predictable, sometimes boring and sparsely perceptive half-a-show that I don't entirely regret watching. At times, its narrative is a mess. However, at its best, it is funny and endearing in the way it approaches its subject matter. Unfortunately, these good moments are far and few between, and greatly overshadowed by the irritation likely to be incurred by ReLIFE's unhealthy fixation on melodrama. If the premise piqued your interest, I reluctantly recommend giving it a go, and if you are charmed by its first episode, I reluctantly recommend sticking with it for as long as you can. If you feel as if you are forcing yourself through an episode, take a break and come back to it with a clear mind. However, if nothing changes by the next episode, drop it like a hot potato; it's only going to get worse. And if the first episode doesn't impress you, I heartily recommend not bothering with the rest.

[This review was adapted from my MyAnimeList review.]

3.4/10 story
2.7/10 animation
2.1/10 sound
5.2/10 characters
3.2/10 overall
Nizia's avatar
Jan 7, 2017

the ending spoils it all! I would have given it a 9/10 if the ending was anywhere closer to good! I enjoyed the first half episodes very much,the characters were fun and youthful,you really enjoy watching.The show started with an unrealistic theme but that's ok but if can't end it well what's the point? The worst thing was Chizuru Hishiro was also a relife subject..I mean what the hell.iit spoils everything,if she was actually a high school girl that would have been interesting and challenging but what happened was predictably stupid..Worse Ending ever! And most importantly they don't what's next for Arata after relife! what will do in his adult? what's the effect of this relife!