Record of Ragnarok II - Reviews

Alt title: Shuumatsu no Valkyrie II

WeirdWorlds's avatar
Jul 19, 2023

Let's start with the main problem...it's supposed to be a hype battle series, yet the majority of the animation is relatively still frame. Rendering the battles generally boring and lackluster.

The CGI is crisp compared to a good amount of other series done in CGI but again mostly during the essentially still framed animations. (Like they are in the late 70-80's hand drawing it or something)

There is a small amount of comedic relief which isn't necessarily a bad thing but when again it's focus is a battle tournament and the battles are probably not as good as the sprinkled near average laugh factor, you've messed up.

A solid portion of the deities end up being rather bland, whether that be their lines are almost all the same thing over and over again or having a single gag.

*PLOT SPOILER BELOW*

They made an Original Character not the worst possible idea, despite there already being a plethora of mythological entities to choose from... instead of a standalone it was actually the original form of a collection of already existing gods...but then oh wow another sick plot twist dude! That OC then abruptly transforms into a different actual mythological being to finish their fight.

3.5/10 story
3.5/10 animation
ReviewBonfire's avatar
Apr 25, 2023

Shuumatsu no Valkyrie II

This manga and anime will not please everyone. You need very low standards to be able to understand this show. Each season consists of 2-3 battles in which candidates of humanity compete against gods. In a battle that will decide the further existence of mankind. The good thing about the show is that the battles are hard to weigh who will win. The bad thing is that the series consists only of flashbacks and fights that have a very similar sequence.

I like how "simple" this one is. No great plot, but simply the representation of how two unshakable will clash. Unfortunately, the animations are far from good, at least the pacing in season 2 is much better than in the first season. Sometimes you don't need more than that.

The second season was especially longed for because of the Hercules and Jack the Ripper fight, which is undoubtedly the favorite for most people. Not only did this fight show a new perspective, but also the development of both characters and a very nice conclusion. The hero represents justice on the side of the gods. The people struggling for their lives send a mentally ill serial killer into the ring. On which side should you wish for victory? Either way, it is only open that the gods were right in their judgment of humanity or the downfall of humanity. But the fight took a completely different outcome than I had expected at the start.

[Story 3]

Regarding the plot, there is practically nothing to say. The series has an interesting concept and at least a decent implementation regarding the fights. But otherwise, it's kept too superficial, which can't arouse the interest of many. Maybe something will develop in the manga, but so far it does not seem to be the case. An anime and manga that is only about successive battles in the Colosseum are still relatively refreshing.

[Animations 5/ Music 7]

The animations have improved a lot, unfortunately, they just reach average quality. But apart from the animations, I'm happy that the pacing has finally improved. Season two, unlike the first, is much faster and doesn't feel like old chewing gum anymore.

Even the first season had very good osts, this has not changed here.

[Characters 5]

Shuumatsu no Valkyrie has a large number of different characters, but only a few get any real attention. Especially only when they enter the battle ring. I like their backstories, ambitions, and the fighters' unbreakable will. Unfortunately, this doesn't bring much variety, since you know exactly how the sequence will be. Each fight starts with both getting heated, both getting hyped, both realizing the opponent is strong, getting a background in turn and then using their trump card and one winning. Even though it's hard to tell who will win, the process is very much the same. And the characters get their personality practically only from the background story. My hope so far is that the characters who survive the battles will be fleshed out more. So far, however, nothing has happened.

[Conclusion 5]

A simple yet fascinating Anime and Manga that I am still actively following. It's hard to put into words, but I think it's precisely because it's so simple that it's so pleasing. Of course, you should keep your hands off of it if you expect a story or anything else large-scale. Here you will only see fights, nothing more.

[Enjoyment 6]

PharuanUndearth's avatar
Feb 5, 2023

This is a continuation of the 1st series it's not that bad but I don't think it's as good as the 1st season and there's way too many back stories for each csir there was too much back story. The fights themselves were amazing but I don't want to the 3 episodes per God and per person on their back story that's too much and it wastes time.

I definitely would watch it it's not that bad where I would not watch it, but like I said you might skip a bunch of it because of how boring it is I sat through all 20 plus minutes of each episode and it was fine but it did get boring around episode 6 or so.

This isn't really gonna have spoilers but does read at your own risk in case I do spoil something for you.

Pros: Pretty funny, Well drawn animations and kickass sounds.

Cons: It needed more story.

A very confusing mess of random information and animation, then put together in some weird ass situation. I would like a little bit more story to my beat Em UPS, not a superstore guy but I do tend to look at if the information makes sense and this Does not. I can't say I don't recommend it it's a good 40 ish minutes to watch it's not that long it's pretty enjoyable to just turn your brain off and watch this animation with a few chuckles here and there again like my higher-tiered score says the 6, a solid 6.

Don't worry if you're wondering where the last 5 episodes are. There is a second half to the second seasian, I don't know why they split the season up. Maybe to possibly push for a season 3. Which hasn't been renewed yet, by the way. We'll see if there's a season 3.

Recommendation: yes

7.5/10 sound
7.9/10 overall
MimiBee's avatar
Apr 10, 2023

This was written as off ep 10, s 2

I was shocked by how much i liked this as i don't usually watch fighting anime however this show was refreshing and the mix of gods and mythology was interesting.

The overall story isn't anything award winning atm however there is space for a more depth within the overarching story.

The animation is strange and I really struggled to rate it as it flicks between beautiful character design to a glorified slide show. The inconsistency in the animation was shocking however was saved by the detail in the character designs, especially aphrodite ;).

I watched it Dubbed in English. I don't usually notice voice acting, however the Londoners' accents in the beginning of season two, specifically the mother of Jack and her friend in the brothel, were just strange and changed constantly with seemingly no reason to.

I do feel that season one picks up much more after the first fight, my favourite fight being Jack vs Hercules. I did feel that the last fight had a bit too much story which messed up the pacing.

Overall it was a good show which was easy to binge in one day and I would watch again for the characters but might keep the fast forward button close for some of the backstories. (absolutely love buddha’s design)

8.5/10 animation