Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai - Reviews

Alt title: Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl-senpai no Yume wo Minai

Gozza's avatar
Dec 28, 2018

I feel I need to explain what Adolescent Syndrome is first before I can share how I feel about this show. Adolescent Syndrome is pretty much a visual representation of somebody's inner struggles but packaged as a supernatural experience.

The main protagonist, Sakuta, takes care of his younger sister, Kaede, because their parents were really struggling with their daughters' Adolescent Syndrome. Kaede acts much younger than she really is, resulting in her never leaving the house.

Sakuta is a rather goofy but also a really caring guy who tries to support a few girls who are all struggling with their own unique Adolescent Syndrome. It will result in a lot of awkward situations since Sakuta doesn't take no for an answer.

The show does a good job of visually describing what the inner struggles are and I'm sure that most people who watch the show will find something they can relate to.

The awkward situations mentioned above result in some amazing banter between Sakuta and Mai, the first girl Sakuta tries to offer a helping hand. Their chemistry is absolutely amazing.

The show has been compared a lot to the Monogatari series and I feel that the Monogatari series is one of the shows that can be hard to recommend due to the show crossing certain lines which is something this show doesn't do. It puts this show in a spot where it's enjoyable, easy to recommend to others, and it acts as a stepping stone to other shows of its genre.

The only downside of the show is that we get introduced to a bunch of interesting characters who make only small cameos after their arch is over.

The art direction is gorgeous and I think they made a really smart choice by using an actual city for its world design.

ohheydickie's avatar
Apr 4, 2020

There was a whole lot of hype surrounding this show when it came out and I'm not going to lie it definetly lured me in. It didn't really keep me going for a good chunk of it but did pick me up in the end. Bunny Girl Senpai is one of those anime's that has an umbrella plot but is more a problem of the week (it's every three weeks really but still), following either up to volume 5 of the LN.

The problem for me at least was some of the volumes were good and kept me invested and others really didnt, like REALLY didn't. For me I loved the first arc (same withe everyone I know) which ate up about 3 episodes, so knocks the 3 episodes out the window to see if you like it. Some of the arcs are just phenomincally written with characters you want to support during their "puberty syndrome", and others just leave you like omg shutup get on with it please.

I think the issue with this show and others like it is that it's a decent seasonal show but not one you'd come back to way later on if you missed it in that season. But with how seasonals are it's like "oh boy we gotta watch it because all these anitubers say it's great and this season doesn't have any other decentish dramas so this must be the end all be all!". It's really not.... It's filled with thin characterization, vague pseudoscience, and a deadpan protagonist who solves a bunch of girls problems for them, but IT'S GOT A BUNNY GIRL FOR A HOT SECOND SO WE GOTTA WATCH IT!

I think it's worthwhile if you enjoy a cute drama but don't be afraid to skip episodes honestly and just jump from arc to arc because you won't miss anything doing so and you'll get the best out of the show. Also don't get attached to many characters outside your MC because boy do they fade away INSTANTLY after their arc is over.

TLDR: decent seasonal drama, but don't hold your breath it's a mediocre Monogatari.

6.5/10 story
iLive4Anime's avatar
Nov 7, 2018

This review is only up to the latest episode which is episode 6. I am really in love with this anime. This anime is 2nd on my favorite animes right now and number 1 is That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime which is hard to beat since it is so good. What I wanted to talk about is how I think this anime is super unique since their are so many plot twists in most episide. For example episode 6 how Shoko Makinohara shows up at the end. Always leaving us in suspense for the next episode to see what is going to happen next. I really enjoy how they 2 main leads Mai and Sakuta interact with eachother. I love how they both have very unique personalitities and how they always "clash" with eachother. Just right now I am finding this anime to be very good and I can't wait for the weeks to come for more episodes.

ansk's avatar
Dec 28, 2018

Complete overall enjoyment. The story is otherwise from what the title suggests.
The new approach on the issues of the adolescents in the genre was a real catcher. Just amazing, never lets you get bored. Also the character setting is amazing.
The unique approach to bullying, self contradiction, love conflicts is perfect.
At first I thought that this must be some cliched harem anime with all the girls at school and imoutou- onii chan stuff, but it's totally different.

Story- 9
the story is amazing. it catches your attention right from the first episode and then continues on to deal with the different kinds of problems faced by the adolescents.

Art- 9
art is also great. the animation is deep and smooth.

Sound- 9
the opening - "kimi no sei" is so catchy and amazing. also the slow paced ending was a very good pairing tio the opening.

Character-10
outstanding character developement. the complexity of Sakuta, maturity of Mai san both pair up perfectly. The support characters like Kaede, Nodoka, Futaba, Kunimi are also completely fitting.
Plus the mysterious Shouko san is also a big reason I'll be waiting for the second season (if there will be any).

Totally worth binge watching.

AnimeBinger123's avatar
Feb 17, 2021

At first, I avoided this anime thinking it was going to be one of those smut ones, but after the first 3 episodes, I realized: Sure, there are a few bad jokes, but the story is amazing. This anime really got me in the feels and I really recommend it. But I do have a warning of a sad ending. I am searching and searching where I can legally watch the movie now.