Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai

Alt title: Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl-senpai no Yume wo Minai

Add review
iLive4Anime's avatar
Nov 7, 2018

This review is only up to the latest episode which is episode 6. I am really in love with this anime. This anime is 2nd on my favorite animes right now and number 1 is That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime which is hard to beat since it is so good. What I wanted to talk about is how I think this anime is super unique since their are so many plot twists in most episide. For example episode 6 how Shoko Makinohara shows up at the end. Always leaving us in suspense for the next episode to see what is going to happen next. I really enjoy how they 2 main leads Mai and Sakuta interact with eachother. I love how they both have very unique personalitities and how they always "clash" with eachother. Just right now I am finding this anime to be very good and I can't wait for the weeks to come for more episodes.

Gozza's avatar
Dec 28, 2018

I feel I need to explain what Adolescent Syndrome is  first before I can really say how I feel about this show. Adolescent Syndrome is pretty much a visual representation of somebody's inner struggles but packaged as a supernatural experience.

The cast of the show are all struggling with the feeling of ending up alone but they all experience these feelings in different ways which results in different Adolescent Syndrome effects.

The first arch of the show starts of with Mai, the girl that skips through a library in a playboy bunny outfit and Sakuta, a boy from her school, is the only one that can see her. Sakuta becomes fascinated and wants to understand what's going on with Mai because he himself has experienced Adolescent Syndrome.

Every arch is about a different girl, experiencing their own inner struggles but they all become slightly emotionally heavier for our main protagonist Sakuta who just feels he needs to be there for every single girl going through their Adolescent Syndrome.

The show does a good job in visually describing what the inner struggles are and I'm sure that most of these struggles are relatable and understandable feelings.

Sakuta is an insanely well designed character who makes all the girls react towards him in a very unique but interesting way but his interactions with Mai are from a different category.

The show has been compared a lot to the Monogatari series and I personally feel that the Monogatari series is one of the shows that can be hard to recommend to a friend due to the show crossing quite a few lines which is something this show doesn't. It puts this show in a spot where it's enjoyable, easy to recommend to others and act as a stepping stone to other shows of its genre.

The only downside of the show is that we get introduced to a bunch of interesting characters but the show doesn't really have the time to allow us to find out more about them.

The art direction is absolutely gorgeous and I think they made a really smart choice with using an actual city for its world design. Where are lot of shows struggle with perspectives, this show always feels like its got its angles and perspectives right. It's that eye for detail that makes this show really stand out.

Kittyna's avatar
Dec 12, 2018

Show named bunny girl, is not about bunny girl. This anime have amazing story with amazing characters, its little detectiv, but it's rlly funny. You have to make sure to watch this!

ansk's avatar
Dec 28, 2018

Complete overall enjoyment. The story is otherwise from what the title suggests.
The new approach on the issues of the adolescents in the genre was a real catcher. Just amazing, never lets you get bored. Also the character setting is amazing.
The unique approach to bullying, self contradiction, love conflicts is perfect.
At first I thought that this must be some cliched harem anime with all the girls at school and imoutou- onii chan stuff, but it's totally different.

Story- 9
the story is amazing. it catches your attention right from the first episode and then continues on to deal with the different kinds of problems faced by the adolescents.

Art- 9
art is also great. the animation is deep and smooth.

Sound- 9
the opening - "kimi no sei" is so catchy and amazing. also the slow paced ending was a very good pairing tio the opening.

Character-10
outstanding character developement. the complexity of Sakuta, maturity of Mai san both pair up perfectly. The support characters like Kaede, Nodoka, Futaba, Kunimi are also completely fitting.
Plus the mysterious Shouko san is also a big reason I'll be waiting for the second season (if there will be any).

Totally worth binge watching.

Nephelion's avatar
Feb 7, 2019

This review is spoiler free.

Here's one really smart anime. You can tell the writers know how to develop a story around intersting and sincere characters, like you've rarely seen before. Indeed, while setting its story around paranormal events, Rascal is an anime about real life, starring realistic characters, dealing with actual problems. That's where I think the anime has a therapeutic ambition, and where it is touching.