Prince of Stride: Alternative

Add review
AoiNomura's avatar
Apr 12, 2016

STORY

I really enjoyed the first episode. Some hot dudes running against each other, add some nice camera angle and woah..this is gonna be so cool!

After watching a few matches I felt disappointed and tired of the repetitive line of action. The story is easily predictable and kinda average.

ANIMATION

The animation is nicely done. I especially like the bright colors. Well, I usually got less to complain in this category.

SOUND

The opening song is catchy and I always sang along while it was playing *laughs* the voice actors did a good job! A lot of seiyuus who had a role in "Kuroko no basket" also were taking part in this anime, such as Kensho Ono, Daisuke Ono & Ryohei Kimura.

CHARACTERS

I feel like they lack some personality...ah don't get me wrong, I do have fav characters (Riku & Takeru) but I don't know, they were in my opinion too ...there's this word again: average.

That doesn't mean I want them to be overly crazy/psycho or whatever, but how to describe it they don't really remain in one's memory.

Besides the amount of characters is too big.

OVERALL

this is one of the anime that you watch when you're bored. It's only 12 episodes long so you're quickly done in a day when you really have nothing to do haha

Not forget to mention: the dudes are indeed hot (for those who watch for the "plot" like me HAHAHA)

Note: these are my thoughts and impression of this anime. Please respect my opinion. You don't need to agree with everything I'm writing here (:

Kintoista's avatar
Feb 28, 2016

I'm disappointed. After whatching the first ep I fell in love and was SO excited for having found the next best thing (sports wise) after Haikyuu (which I absolutely ADORE). It had clean animation, great "movement/action" effects (that are fundamental for me when it comes to getting all psyched with sports anime) and... Stride seemed pretty impressive. I mean... They run and compete while parkouring the s**t out of the place. Come on! That's cool!

Then around ep 3 (took me a while, I know) it hit me: this is like watching a great sports anime like Haikyuu (idea wise) with the character depth, story development, humour and dialogue creativity of High School Star Musical and the blue cold aesthetics of K (which isn't an anime I dislike per se.  I AM watching the second season. But the electronic music and cold blue-ish atmosphere are quite cold and generic for me in terms of feels; just saying).

So, summing it up: the idea is amazing but in my opinion it leaves a lot to be desired.

It could've been SO impressive! Seriously, to me it would've come hand in hand with Haikyuu if they just hadn't made it so basic character, story, dialogue and humour wise. My mental boner is most definitely gone and after ep 8, doesn't seem to ever be going to perk up. I will finish watching cause god forbid I can skip on any anime that has any incline to actually showing pretty cool moves and effects. But.. yeah not gonna recommend it. It's alright entertainment if you've ran out of things to watch or are you're making some time while the next ep of something you're watching comes out, but don't expect much, it definitely won't leave you at awe.

RingoStarr1991's avatar
Mar 25, 2016

***THIS IS A SPOILER FREE REVIEW***

Prince of Stride

Prince of Stride is a show that seemed to have shown so much promise in the early episodes but soon driveled out into a bromance, low intensity “battles” anime. I was waiting for that super intense, heart pounding race to occur; maybe in the second season?

Story: 5/10

So the main thing you need to know about the show is this; highschoolers get together to run in “Stride” races against other highschools. The main characters Nana, Riku, and Takeru form the main core for the show to present itself with. The supporting cast is there and does a decent job but it's obvious that the show is appealing to a demographic that I'm not a part of. The bromance aspect of the anime is almost suffocating which would not be a huge issue IF it did not impede on the story of the anime. Literally after every race there is a plethora amount of bromance crap that clutters the closing minutes of every episode. Also the whole “We have to get better” aspect of the show was in my opinion not done very well. It seems like the Honan (main school) team just gets unbelievably awesome in the last 2 or 3 episodes out of nowhere.

I wanted to like the show because the other elements seemed so great but all I was left with was an uninteresting friendship story that had lots of running in it.

Animation: 6.5/10

I feel that I have to rate this harder than normal because it is MADHOUSE we are talking about. The studio that has brought us No Game No Life, One-Punch Man, Chihayafuru, and so many other breathtakingly beautiful anime have come up pretty short in the animation department. The scenes are fluid which is important in an action orientated anime but the art quality seems pretty disappointing. Character models and scenery seemed pretty lackluster especially when comparing it to No Game No Life (which I just finished re-watching). MADHOUSE can do so much better than this.

Sound: 8/10

The music, soundeffects, and voice actors are pretty good in this show. Music seemed to hit the mood right on the tee, voice actors did a pretty good job expressing their characters, and the sound effects were very impressive. The element of wind, running on different surfaces, and landing on platforms/rails was spot on.

Characters: 6/10

The characters melded well with each other but unfortunantly I just could not get myself to give any s***s for them at all. It's not that they were generic it's just the whole package of the anime just didn't hold my attention.

Overall: 6.38/10

It's an average anime to be honest. It has a very predictable outcome, average character development, and sadly average action scenes. I was hoping that the ending would blow me away but the final race is quite the disappointment. If you are expecting something great like with other MadHouse anime then I would skip out on this one.

Enjoyment: 4/10

Thanks for reading my review! If you liked my writing style, would like to see some other reviews, or just want to talk, please stop by my page!

Sincerely,
Awesome Drummer

6.5/10 animation
6.1/10 overall
PurplePeopleEater's avatar
Mar 27, 2016

I'm not big on sports anime usually, but I thought this one was really good. It almost makes me want to try others too. The animation is bright and lively, the characters aren't stereotypical in my opinion, the setting is common but the game is unique, and the music wrapped it up nicely. The story wasn't so unique, but then, it's a sports anime, there is a limited number of paths it can take so I don't think that is really important, rather how the path is taken is important.

Story- As usual, I am not going to sumarize it here because there are plenty of other summaries you can read. One thing I liked about the story was it didn't start off with a really bad team, rely on a single person to fix the issue, or have just one or two really good people on the team who far outshined the others. The story started with no team period due to not having enough people. It wasn't the best or the worst. while Yagami was the main character, he didn't get a whole lot of extra attention compared to the others. None of the people on the team were way better than the others either. They each had their strengths but overall were rather evenly matched. The goal was to win this summer competition which winning a big competition is nothing unique to sports or any anime where competitions are involved. Technically, the story skips over most of the competition only focusing on the first match and the last two, but those are where the story is and there are only 12 episodes so they didn't have time to go into detail about every match. Also, the events mainly take place during the one summer break, a short period of time which fits nicely into a short anime, instead of spreading intself thin trying to cover a long period of time with too few episodes.

Animation- I'm not a fan of bright colors, but I liked it in this anime. It was a good match for the story and it was more exciting. Also, where the focus was played an important role too.

Sound- The opening and ending songs weren't annoying so yay for that. I actually liked the opening which is unusual. The music during the show was a nice choice too. I liked the one that played during the competition. It made it feel more realistic and important. It reminded of dance competitions and events. There is mainly two songs that played during the anime and both were good.

Characters- Given the short length, we don't know much about the individuals outside the stride club. Almost all the anime takes place in the stride club and only a few scenes are set during regular school or home life. It was a good choice to focu on the events within the club instead of trying to show a bunch of events outside the club that didn't have much to do with the club since it was a short anime. However, the characters do develop quite a bit in such short time. It's not neglected.

Overall, I felt this was certainly one of the better well written and organized 12 episode animes. The structure of the story, the events focused on, the development of the characters, the sound and animation used, all appeared to be well thought out. Usually I rant in my reviews on short animes because it feels like the people who made it didn't take into account the components of a short story or the fact that they only had a few episodes and so it falls short. This was not the case in Prince Of Stride Alternative so no little rants tonight.

Could some things have been better? There is always room for improvement so of course. However, I really hope they make a second season. It feels like forever since I was able to give something a good rating.

smilernn's avatar
Dec 27, 2017

So usally I have a serious problem when it comes to sports animes. I can't stand them, but this one, I have to admit was adorable.

I really like what they did with the whole stride thing. It's a completely new sport that someone ties back with relay racing. The animemation was fantastic. The way they played out the races had a sertain apeal to it to.

The soundtrack was amazing. I ever once skiped the begining song. It were really cute. I think all the voice actors did a pretty good job to, I mean they suited the charecters pretty well.

The charecters I felt were somewhat lacking. They had some good developement in there and they were all hot xD, but for what ever reason I felt they were lacking something. Don't get me wrong I really loved some of them(Riku), but some of them were...bland.

So like I said before when comes to sports animes it's a big no no, but this is the exception. I would definatly recomend this to people who are bores. Its a goodd benige watch cus it's only 12 episodes.