Power Stone - Reviews

HelloImaJuiceBox's avatar
Feb 16, 2023

It's not the worst I've ever seen, but it leaves so much to be desired and it doesn't capture the chaotic craziness of the original game at all. As a fan of the original games, I questioned why not even other fans of the game talked about this anime, and the reason is because it's so "Okay" that it's forgettable.

Everything about it is so mid, which is sad because I feel there was so much more potential. The characters from the game are there, the colorful art direction is there, the simple but charming story is there, ect. It didn't need to be anything amazing; it just needed to be light hearted and fun with over the top action. Instead we get mostly stiff and bland animation that doesn't get much better during the fight scenes with so-so music and voice acting.

Maybe this would have been much better if it had a higher budget and/or a different staff behind it (and the fact that it's a tv anime is no excuse since there are plenty of tv anime that look and sound fantastic). The dub is also not great either, even if one can argue that it's humorously corny.

The only good thing I can say about this anime is that it fleshes out the characters more than the games ever did. I guess if you're a fan of the original power stone games, it's worth checking out for curiousities sake since it does feature cast of the first game. But I can't see many people getting much enjoyment out of this one or wanting to watch it until the end.

Hachikira's avatar
Nov 23, 2015

Based off the excellent Dreamcast game and Produced by Studio pierrot whose works include yu yu hakashu and Bleach .   This anime is Enjoyable for anyone whose played the game.   To be honest when I heard about it I was hyped but the fighting wasn't as exciting as I was hoping for .  I'll give it credit for decent characterization part of the fun is just seeing these characters come to live more so than in the game .   It has that old 90s animation charm and style really captures it .  The series is just interesting enough to not be boring and to provide sufficient motivation to keep watching but I wouldn't put it on a list of must see favorite anime .    The music is nothing bad but nothing amazing either honestly its at its peak with the techno rifts during narration .    Add in Sailor Moon levels of recycled animation and pretty good voice acting albeit judged by my far from high standards.    I think just about anyone could possibly get at least mild enjoyment out of watching it but I only highly recommend it to people that have played the game or for a parent looking for good anime for there children around the ages of 10 to 14 I say this because its anime with fighting and action that they could get a kick out of but clean enough to wear they can handle it .   I'm really happy the game was adapted into a series even if it isn't close to as entertaining as that source material .