Pop Team Epic - Reviews

Rascal's avatar
Mar 24, 2018

Dankfest Central Memecenter EXTREME.

Welcome to the dankest shiznit you've ever seen in your fucking life. Pop Team Epic is so memetically sublime it will blow you out of your fucking seat with how shittily cancerously dank it is. If you had an entire room of weed-smoking call of duty playing hipster meme-account runners they still wouldn't be as dank as Pop Team Epic. These motherfuckers know what's up. This show is mathematically better than any of your normie shit and I'll prove it.

Let me secondly say that this anime isn't for the faint of heart. Once you're watching this anime, you've officially hacked into the memeframe, and there's no returning. You're suckered in for the rest of it. You'll be experiencing levels of memetic goodness you can't get anywhere else, so proceed with caution. Your brain will goddamn melt away if you're not careful. If you're pregnant or have some other sickness or disease, ask your doctor before experiencing pop team epic.

Character-wise this show is THE shit. Popuko and Pipimi are the stars, and for good reason, because these girls are meme beasts, they make gags so fast you barely see them coming, they'll kill you. They're like bulldozers of dankness because they DEMOLISHED the 4th wall. Their interactions are perfectly delicious, but they still have personalities all their own. Popuko will murder you and has a low tolerence for your bullshit. Pipimi is a sassmaster. They truly are epic.

This show goes much further than its manga too, in anime form they can make decisions you could never do in manga, it's all CGI but it doesn't look like it because it gives it an otherworldy feel that's still good AF, and they switch voice actors every episode. NOT ONLY THAT, BUT THEY SWITCH VOICE ACTORS IN THE MIDDLE OF EPISODES FROM MALE TO FEMALE VOICE ACTORS AND THEY'RE PERFECT.

You, right now

WELL STEP UP YA MOTHERFUCKER BECAUSE IM NOT GOING TO SAY IT AGAIN. The stories are compilations of shorts from the manga, but they're something more. The anime has captured the essence of these little shits in ways never thought possible, developing longer-form skits with a low budget but a lot of heart, every one of them original with elements from already-established comics that all comes together to form beautiful masterpieces of storytelling, like the plan to clone lots of popukos, and such.

Pop Team Epic isn't just a comedy and a meme party, it's also satire, parody, and perfection. It parodies and has references to a lot of pop culture from japan, video games, TV shows, cooking shows, you name it, Pop team epic will reference it and destroy it in the name of lols before your eyes in artistic fasion.

And the OP is perfectly fitting, to top it all off. Plus it has a dub, yes a funimation dub, you can hear all your favorite VAs go fucking nuts on this because this anime doesn't care. ALL HAIL POP TEAM EPIC, MAY DANKNESS REIGN SUPREME.

Pop Team Epic is a work of art, don't you dare miss it. I don't care who you are, this anime is for you, unless you're a loser or some kind of weeb.

WE NEED ANOTHER SEASON OF HOSHIIRO GIRLDROP.

CaptainSlow's avatar
Mar 30, 2018

What I Liked: The show uses a diverse range of animation styles (3DCG, digital, stop-motion). The UchuPeople skits were always standouts in quality, especially their musical numbers. Some episodes are hilarious the second half around, as some skits play out differently and many of the male VAs go full ham with their performances. The Hellshake Yano skit. The mixture of Western and Japanese pop culture references and bizzaro, almost absurdist humour works suprisingly well. The opening theme.

What I Didn't: The Bob Team Epic skits, which were a different type of comedy from the rest of the show. Having the show in two halves was occasionally too much of a gamble when there was little difference between both halves beyond voice acting.

Final Verdict: For a self-proclaimed Shit Anime, there's a ridiculous amount of love and dedication gone into this. While it does occasionally falter under the weight of its own reputation, it's visually fresh, (almost) consistently entertaining with its anti-comedic surrealist bent and manages to do some entertaining things with its two-part format. It might be shit, but it's pretty good shit.

DollEyedNurse's avatar
Jan 9, 2018

making fun of video games, animes I've seen and other random crap, Check... Cute chibi girls voiced by a man... Check. I can't help but enjoy this. I personally thought it was funny. I have to admit though, the intro threw me off completely. I thought I found the wrong show and i got yanked into some crappy anime about a Japanese Hanna Montana. lol

Ryukami's avatar
Mar 24, 2018

Pop-culture reference: The Anime.

Certainly different, making fun of the industry and having lots and lots of references to other media properties.

Story? Was there one?

Animation is good and bad, for there are many different styles used during different sections.

Sound is good, no probs.

Characters are interesting, but not consistent and that is by design, even going as far as having different voice actors during different scenes.

SIMPLORD's avatar
Oct 15, 2018

This anime is basically one giant shitpost. It is beautiful and I cannot stress how much I think you need to watch this. I mean, it's an incredible shitpost and I literally never know whats going on but holy guacamole it is worth your while.