Planetarian - Reviews

JVAnimeReviews's avatar
Aug 16, 2016

Winner 2016 JV Anime Award: Best Animation

I can’t understand how I missed this anime in my preview for the Summer 2016 season since this is another adaptation from a Key VN and I love anime’s that come from that company. So let’s see what I thought of it.

*So what did I think about this series? Well the first thing that’s immediately noticeable in this anime was the animation. The animation was beautiful, it was absolutely stunning. Only based on the animation I would have sworn that Planetarian was animated by one of the big companies like A-1 Pictures of KyoAni. Those are known for making beautiful animation. So I was absolutely surprised when I saw that the studio for Planetarian was David Productions who are only known for making Jojo. And the animation in Jojo is questionable, let’s leave it at that. Or another anime that I did see was InuxBoku SS and also there the animation wasn’t amazing. But here in Planetarian it was astonishing both 2D and 3D wise.

For a video review, check out my Youtube channel. Link on my profile page.

*Now point number 2. Anything that comes from Key, comes with great expectations. I expect nothing less than perfection especially when it comes to the drama. No surprise since they are responsible for some very sad anime’s like Clannad and Little Busters! and God did Planetarian not disappoint. Now it wasn’t as tearjerking as let’s say Clannad but Planetarian delivered what I call hidden sadness. It doesn’t shove the sadness right in your face but they subtly hint it in the atmosphere that the anime emits. And here it was Yumemi’s ignorance that delivered the sadness. Because she’s a robot she doesn’t really understand what happens around here but then at times it seems she does and that’s what created the whole dramatic atmosphere of Planetarian.

*And without going into spoilers, the feels were strong in the final episode. Wauw, you feel it coming throughout the episodes but then when we arrive in the final episode it’s still so sad. But apart from the final episode there was one sentence in this anime that in my opinion was the most beautiful one of the series. And it was when the guy asks Yumemi “Are you retarted?” and she responds with “No, I’m just a little broken.”. That sentence just pierced my hearth since it carries so much meaning about the story and about Yumemi’s character. So Planetarian reached the high expectations that I have for everything that comes from Key.

*All that’s left for me to say is that I’m full of anticipation for the Planetarian movie that will be released on September 3rd which will continue the story of this ONA series which acted as a precursor. I’ll probably have to wait long until it reaches the Western world but I know that it’ll be worth it.

Conclusion

So as a conclusion, Planetarian was one hell of a short anime. If this would have been a full sized anime than this would have been gold. This could have been, in my opinion, my Anime Of The Year. Planetarian is by far the best short anime I’ve seen, it’s the saddest one and the one with the most story-development. And that’s why I’m going to rate Planetarian at 4 stars which is by far the highest score I’ve given to a short anime till today. I really anticipate the movie to enjoy more of that Key goodness.

9.5/10 animation
8.4/10 overall
haize78's avatar
Nov 24, 2016

I'll risk being unpopular with this one, but I don't think this is good. The animation is really well done, the visuals and character designs are nice as well as the sound - so excellent production values and a good presentation. The setting, in fact, is rendered quite well: a world on the brink of extinction under a relentless downpour that robs everything of colour. But that's just about all the positive I'm willing to say about it. The story is just way too cheesy for my taste. It's purposely aimed at emotionally influencing and manipulating the viewers. Nothing wrong with that - and to be honest I usually like emotionally involving stories. But if you stop to think about it content-wise, this makes very little sense.

A ghost city, in the aftermath of a war that destroyed everything and nearly wiped out humanity. A junk collector, one of the few remaining human beings who survived, as the name says, by collecting rubbish happens to come upon a planetarium, apparently abandoned and in ruins just like everything else in the city. But inside there's a cute female android, still functioning thanks to the emergency energy supply. The robot is very anxious to welcome the customer in the planetarium and start projecting the show. One might add that it's an overly chatty robot... Anyway, the projector does not function and the man decides to try and repair it. Eventually, he does manage to get it working properly and we assist to a projection. During the time necessary to fix the projector, human and robot interact. The focus is always on the robot and her thirty year wait for customers to appear. Like a faithful dog attending its master's return - it would have actually made more sense if the protagonist had been a dog... The tragic element springs from the robot's absolute ignorance and lack of awareness of the collapsing state of the world. The conclusion is obviously tear-jerking: just when the man decides to take the sad puppy home with him...guess what happens?

It's the premise that gets me so mad: either it's a robot or it's not. If it's a robot - by definition - it doesn't have human feelings, it simply does what it's programmed to do within the parameters of its software. If it does seem to feel affection and emotions...then what is it? Or am I supposed to buy - without batting an eyelid - the story of a robot that is for the most part a machine but capable of having some human feelings??? Come on!!! Of course you can tell the story of robots that develop seeds of consciousness and individuality with the linked moral, ethical and philosophical dilemmas; but that's just not what this is about. So overall, really disappointing because of its forced and artificial drama.

4.5/10 overall
redmind's avatar
Nov 19, 2016

A dystopian future, where mankind has destoryed itself through chemical, nuclear and killer robot warfare. A single man run into an android while hiding from a squad of hunter robots.

Sounds like a thriller movie, but ends up being a tale about human emotions amid decay and destruction.

I read the VN beforehand and it was marvelous and I never thought they could create the same sense of innocence and sweet heart wrenching sorrow in only five episodes, but the creators nailed it.

I advise anyone who want to experience a feels trip to watch it.

SwordAcolyte's avatar
Jan 15, 2017

I rarely give high scores to animes as most are simply not worth it, but Planetarian is a surprisingly competent anime adaption of the Visual novel.  It actually exceeds the VN in many respects, many the story more coherent and overall solid.

Without spoilers (as the ending is much more effective without knowing) it takes place in the future where a dismal existence is the norm. One man finds a hidden oasis of an android girl that wants to teach about the stars. What occurs in the short anime is a surprisingly effective story that really moves the watcher. I don’t want to say much, but you really feel the story.

Coming from someone that isn’t easily impressed by anime, this blew me away. Check it out.

JailBreak707's avatar
Apr 4, 2021

Planetarian is an emotional anime that follows our two main characters Hoshino Yumemi and Junker or Kuzuya. Hoshino Yumemi is a robot who's been left for 30 years at an abandoned planetarium, which she worked at. One day she gets visited in the planetarium and crosses paths with Kuzuya.

For how much Planetarian can fit into 5 episodes (each 18 minutes long) they do it extremely well. And is definitely the best short anime I've ever seen. What started off as something I'd find boring I end up being extremely wrapped in and watching episode after episode. At some parts it was boring and can start off a bit slow, is paid off for the other elements throughout the anime. The amount of innocence that starts off the series blends well with the sorrow that follows and does an extremely good job at developing the story.

Animation:

The animation in Planetarian is extremely beautiful and doesn't fail to use colors to its advantage. The settings are well done and well suited to get the situation straight with the viewer, whether that be the planetarium itself or the 'ruins of civilization.' I highly appreciate the character designs and how it pays attention to even the littlest of details.

Sound:

Not many notable things can be said about the sound of Planetarian as nothing too major stood out to me. The ending song is well suited for the anime and isn't a bad song at all. The voice actors also are well-suited for the characters.

Despite only being 5 episodes long one of the main characters, Kuzuya can still go through well-done character development. Planetrain also offers well-done character-to-character interactions, between Hoshino and Kuzuya, which ends up being a great way to see into the character's personality, as well as their relationship and views on each other.

Overall:

I highly recommend you to watch this anime if you wish to watch something short that can not only visually appeal to you, but also make you emotional.