Place to Place - Reviews

Alt title: Acchi Kocchi

VergelAnimeFan's avatar
Aug 30, 2012

Acchi Kocchi looked like a good anime for me to watch at first. After finishing it, ive got to say, kudos to Fumitoshi Oizaki and the AIC staff for directing such a good anime. It was certainly a good anime that sticks out to me.

As far as story goes, this is a comedy. there isnt really much of a story here, but there is a good heck lot of comedy here, of course. The comedy in Acchi Kochhi never went dull or repititive, but always went with the scene very smoothly.

Animation. As far as animation is concerned, i am very picky of what i watch based on its animation. I mean i certainly wont be watching Dragon Ball Z Kai, but if i want to revisit all the anime i watched this would be certainly one of the first i revisit. Never was the uality of Acchi Kocchi's graphics bad, and it also flowed smoothly throughout the anime. \

Sound. The sound effects here were never dullmor were to good to take away from the comedy, but it flowed smoothly throughout the anime. Acchi Kocchi's OP and END songs were amazing as well. The voice actors did a great job as well.

Characters. It is understandable that the characters have no new, further change throughout the entire series. It focoused only on the 5 main characters though, and none of the other characters introduced here got much showtime. This though, dissapointed me for a bit.

Overall, this iis a great comedy anime i would recommend to anyone who asked me for a good anime to watch

randomredneck's avatar
Jun 29, 2012

Greetings, fellow anime viewers. It's the one and thankfully only RandomRedneck, here with another review for all y'all. Checking out a show because of total boredom can lead to either good or bad things. In this case, it was a good thing. A hilarious, almost annoyingly cuteness good thing. This, is Acchi Kocchi. Let us begin, shall we?

STORY

Being a comedy about high school students, the story isn't exactly amazing. You've got your typical, episodic type deals here. Having snowball fights, visiting a shrine on New Years, Valentines Day, that sort of thing. But that is in no way a bad thing. It actually works rather well for this show.

ANIMATION

Animation is alright. It shines best during the action-y sort of stuff. like the aforementioned snowball fight, kick the can, volleyball, and so on. Basically, if it's a common kids game, this show will animate it like an action show. And it's pretty awesome.

SOUND

Not really much to mention on the sound front. The opening and ending theme are pretty nice, and the VA's all do good jobs voicing their characters.

CHARACTERS

Hetalia had personifications of countries. Upotte!! had personifications of guns. This show has basically the personification of utter cutenness, in one Tsumiki Miniwa. I mean...good lord. This girl is basically walking cute in human shape. The cat ears help a lot in that regard. Her utterly oblivious crush, Io, is a good character as well. A stoic pencil twirler, with a badass streak in him to boot. He rules. Rounding out the ensemble is Mayoi, a cat mouthed troll with a penchant for weird inventions, Hime, the token sweet and ditzy girl, and Sakaki, who is...Sakaki. Can't exactly describe him very well here. Characters are a great selling point for this show.

OVERALL

This show manages to be annoyingly cute, utterly hilarious, and nicely heartwarming, sometimes all at once. A definite watch if you're looking for a show to make you smile. Check out Acchi Kocchi. You won't be sorry. Thank you.

Yours truly,

RandomRedneck.

6.5/10 story
LANbobYONSON's avatar
Jan 3, 2016

Acchi Kocchi (Tagged SPOILERS ramble, only at the end of the review)

Introduction

Acchi Kocchi is a slice of life school romcom where romance means "unspoken love".

Music

OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bMjtNnsA6Y
The opening is Acchi de Kocchi de or Over There, Over Here. It's sung by the main characters of the anime and it's one of the cutest anime openings in existence. If you don't smile while listening to it you have no soul.
ED: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hxxgf7lIIc
The ending is Te o Gyu Shite ne or Grasp My Hand. It's sung by Rumi Ookubo who voices Miniwa. It's a solo song and like the beginning opening it's cute as heck. The voice actor has a very pretty voice in the endearing sense. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. While it's not the best opening, I love it. I would sit and listen to it at the end of every episode.

The animation is very cute. The backgrounds and foregrounds are charming, simple and are ultimately just a means to make the main characters stand out more. All the characters are cute, unique and colourful. I love them all. They're almost chibi and sometimes even drawn in chibi for certain moments. The show uses the familiar spirals, blue lines, floral patterns and bubbles type backdrops to denote the characters moods along with their expressions. Both main characters have "ahoge" or hair antennae. Miniwa has cat ears and a tail sometimes, which is never addressed or explained as I recall. : - )

Io Otonashi: Glasses, intelligent (OBVIOUSLY; HE HAS GLASSES) inspiration to all gentleman.
The difference between Otonashi and the generic male lead is he's so smart he knows she loves him the whole time and you see the reasons why he chooses not to confess. It's not because he doesn't want to ruin what they have, it's because he's happy with the way things are. Them being in love. Her loving him. Him knowing it and loving her back.
Tsukimi Miniwa: Loli, runner for cutest anime character ever, shy, a bit dumb sometimes.
I love this character more than my own mother, which is saying a lot. Tsumiki Miniwa is quite possibly THE cutest anime girl. A girl as cute as her doesn't even need to be endearing, but she is. How she acts, around Otonashi especially, will make you love her even more. She's willing to go to amazing lengths just for him. In the words of How I Met Your Mother she's a "dobler". At times she's the very definition of doing and thinking crazy, fanatical things but coming off as charming.
"The Dobler-Domer theory: If both parties like each other mutually, a romantic gesture becomes 'charming,' but if only one person likes the other, the same romantic gesture becomes 'creepy'"
The rest of the main characters:
Hime Haruno, Mayoi Katase and Sakaki Inui are Otonashi and Miniwa's friends (no love triangles here(THANK GOD)). They're there for comedy and some side plot. Each of them is wonderful. Hime is there to say dumb things and nosebleed at all the ridiculous cute things Miniwa does, Mayoi is there for crazy klutz comedy, and Sakaki is there to be Otonashi's a little bit pervy joking friend, while Otonashi himself is the straight man. That's one thing I have to applaud the show for doing; taking 5 characters, making them loveable and a valuable part to the show, and not adding anymore. The formula is perfect.

Being told over years of the character's high school lives and being a slice of life and romance anime; you pretty much know what you're getting. School life, cooking, sports, snowball fights, cleaning the pool, mountain vacation, summer festival, school festival, christmas, new years, valentines, white day, and a bunch of shenanigans in between. Just teenagers having fun in their daily lives and their relationships with each other. Some of the story has to do with Otonashi and Miniwa's unspoken love. Usually when her and Otonashi are together Miniwa has these thought bubble cutscenes that play through her mind of what she wants to do with Otonashi. Quite often something like holding his hand and in her head she's saying "Just hold his hand. TAKE INITIATIVE." it drives a lot of the scenes into her getting flustered. It's the endearing part I was talking about. It also made me think long and hard about what shy girls might be thinking when I'm not taking the initiative. :P

Negatives/Positives

To me this anime is flawless. There are no negatives at all. And there are more than enough positives to add up to a 10/10 in all I've mentioned.

Conclusion

Acchi Kocchi is one of the greatest anime of all time.

SPOILERS BELOW

SPOILERS:
_____
Best moment of Acchi Kocchi, why Otonashi is so amazing, why his and Miniwa's love is so amazing, and why I think the ending was perfect:
The best series of moments in the anime is the ones where she's waiting outside in the cold for him PRETENDING TO BUMP INTO HIM every morning so they can walk to school together. At one point he's late you see him run up to where she's still waiting despite him being late and he says "sorry for making you wait" and she blushes embarassed he knew she had been waiting for him every day. It is THE MOST heartwarming romance I've ever seen. Enough to warm my whole body in the cold of winter. The whole anime has the main characters Otonashi and Miniwa caring for each other in a show of love stronger than any other school-life romance anime I've seen. Otonashi is the very definition of a gentleman, letting Tsumiki take their relationship at her own pace. This man's patience is ridiculous. AND HE'S PERFECT THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE ANIME. NO DRAMA. And always says the right thing to make Miniwa's anxious worries to rest. He's an inspiration. They don't even call each other by their first names for the majority of the anime! But when they reach that relationship milestone and she FINALLY calls him Io and he calls her Tsumiki. It makes you feel good for years. I feel good thinking about it now. After tagging along with this group of high school students there's an undeteriminate end, like most anime. It ends on an episode that's just like any other. You don't know if they ever date, or get married. But to me, unlike other anime where you're mad they haven't confessed, it was the perfect ending. You know they love each other. You know they'll be together forever. And for goodness sake they're still young. They don't need to rush into anything!

YuiYui's avatar
May 6, 2014

Warning this review may contain spoilers-

So this is my review for the slice of life/romance/moe anime Acchi Kocchi. So lets get started...the story to start of is sweet and light-hearted. However was slightly random when you look at it. In the end it was you typical school life/slice of life animes. The animation was pretty simple when it came to character designs, however these designs fitted the style of anime it was so it was ok...

The music now, the opening was cute and like normal it fit the genre of the anime pretty well. The ending I didn't really listen to but when I did it was cute and like the opening it fit the genre quite well. The characters I was quite disappointed with, they were your typical characters...which was quite boring, their personalities were simple and just about all the characters were really undeveloped...however I don't think character development was the main focus.

Overall this was a very expected anime and it disappointed me in some areas but it is a good watch if you want something light to watch maybe after a more serious anime, I guess. But that finishes our very short review for Acchi Kocchi. In the end I gave it a 6/10!

Komirai's avatar
Aug 5, 2012

“Um, m-marriage is where your life goes to drink.”
When I first saw this anime while browsing for brand new anime releases, this anime came into view. My first thoughts… Probably just one of those cliché anime comedy romances. Well I got the comedy romance part right, but the cliché part I couldn’t have been any more wrong. Forgive me Otaku God for calling this anime cliché *goes on hands and knees* The jokes are quite fresh and new, and the romance is so adorable your most likely going to die from potential blood loss coming out of your nose.

Plot:
The plot is quite simple beyond beliefs; there is no complexity about it in anyway. Even a five year old can understand it. The anime is about the love between two high schoolers, and what fate awaits them. Well to put it simply all you’re watching is Io and Tsumiki’s relationship grow each and every episode, while at the same time, watching the other characters bug the heck out the both of them, mostly Tsumiki though. Even though this anime requires no extreme thought into understanding what the fudge it’s about, this anime is probably the only anime of its kind that has a perfect way of displaying plot development. Each and every episode, it shows a subtle amount of growth in a relationship from grabbing onto a coat to feeding your lover a spoonful of delicious goodness. This anime just isn’t about romance though; it also does a heck of a good job of making me choke from the amount of laughter produced. Sure not every part of this anime is so funny that it’s enough to make Grumpy from Snow White laugh, but hey I betcha a quarter that he would sniffle a giggle. Which means, whether you’re a Happy or a Grumpy you’re definitely going to laugh, giggle, snort, or even nose bleed when watching this comedy romance filled Heaven!

Soon to be lovers, Io and Tsumiki are the ideal anime couple of 2012 with their excellent way of showing character development! Each and every episode, one way or another, shows some tiny sign of character development which is definitely one of Acchi Kocchi’s proud strong points. Their budding relationship is so cute that it even puts Kamichama Karin’s Kazune and Karin’s adorable relationship to shambles! Now why don’t we highlight the extraordinary features of these soon to be lovers? Tsumiki is not your average tsundere, unlike most tsunderes she has that cool and collective attitude that boys go crazy for, however that’s not all; she has her cute side too which proves it with those kawaii cat ears that pop up now and again. Tsumiki is also a fantastic cook, adorable singer, and a super strong woman. There’s no doubt that she’s the ideal woman for most men! Now last but not least let us introduce the one the only, Io Otanoshi! Io may be quite oblivious to many things, but he makes up for it with those devilish good looks and charm that the Gods and Goddesses of Anime had blessed him with. Io like Tsumiki, is also a fantastic cook, but that’s not all, he’s also got the skills of a ninja! He’s every woman’s dream man! But that’s not at all, Acchi Kocchi also has Hime Haruno our nose bleeding princess, Sakaki the awesome pevert who is strangely similar to Yohei Sunohara, and Mayoi Katose the strange girl with a knack for technology.

Art:
If there is one thing I have learned from watching countless anime shows with a variety of different and yet unique art styles, I have come to the conclusion that the art style used in an anime should somehow fit the plot and genre of the anime. For example, in a horror anime, you need a somewhat mysterious and dark feel which will cause the hearts of its viewer a feel of slight uneasiness. In this case, however, you have a romance comedy anime with its goal being to somehow cause the hearts and souls of its viewers a feeling of relaxation, happiness, laughter, and adoration. To successfully put all these wonderful feelings together the animators had used an art style similar to that of Lucky Star’s. However, that is not all; the animators had also used graphics, effects, and the hearts and souls of those who love cute things too not only woo their viewers into a zombie like state in which people will stare adoringly at their computer screen, but also a near death experience where the viewer’s soul have somehow died and gone to a world of pure bliss.

Music:
“I don’t know anything about the meaning of love; I just want to look at you all the time.” That my anime friends are a small part of the cutesy lyrics to the anime’s opening “Acchi de Kocchi de.” Like most openings to animes the lyrics somehow in some way relate to the anime’s plot, cutesy and romantic for this one. The voice actors used in this anime are in no doubt, specialists. These seiyuus had successfully and utterly pulled down the red carpet and walked dazzlingly across it smilingly handsomely at all those other rejected seiyuus and said, “Tough luck kids, maybe next time.” Very unbelievable if I do say so myself that a few voice actors could be as so professional as to pull off the stupidity, cuteness, embarrassment, and all those other fanciful adjectives I type randomly just to make this paragraph longer. “If I grin and nyaa, I’ll know you’ll scratch my back.” And that was just extremely adorable lyrics to the anime’s ending song "Te wo Gyu Shite ne” which is just as adorable and pleasant as Tsumiki with her cat ears which I know most people are as so tempted to pull.