Persona 3 the Movie 1: Spring of Birth - Reviews

Hutai's avatar
Apr 11, 2015

Persona 3 the movie  is based on a game and it's easy for us to say that game is better because this and that and blah blah blah... But it's not fair, because it's very different from a game in few ways - 1 is that you're not the main character ( girl/guy), You don't get to make decisions, do romance, study and stuff.  It's a movie which tries really hard and brings a lot of fun.

( It's the same as if you'd say - I wish there was a mass effect trilogy movie, but come on, you'll complain too, because you're not the main character ( You're playing Jack or Jane Shepard) You don't romance Tali, Ashley, Jack or Garrus, Thane etc.  But I'm sorry for being carried away, let's go back to this anime :)  ( really sorry )

Story - as a game adaptation, I'd say this movie follows the game really well. There's no scenes that arent needed. ( Do we really want to see how you as Yuki Makoto are studying or talking to characters?  No, we don't have weeks to watch every move you make) ( and again I'm carried away, but i don't want people to judge so much without thinking a bit deeper).

Yuki goes to the dorm, meets the same people we know from the game - Akihiko Sanada, Junpei Iori, Mitsuru Kirijo, Yukari Takeba. When Dark Hour comes and Shadows appear we get to see Yuki using Persona, people from dorm notices his powers, asks him to stay. Yuki is different from other.  He doesn't show much emotion and character, but at the same time we get to see how he develops little by little, fighting with his new "friends" ( as they later becomes friends and Yuki starts to care), in 2nd movie ( spoiler alert?)  we get to see how he really changed, but you'll see that later when you watch.  And basicly they hunt Shadows during the Dark Hour in Tartarus ( Gekkoukan High School) in order to (spoiler alert)  eliminate all the Shadows that were released during the incident 10 years ago.

Animation -  I always care about the way anime looks. Mostly I enjoy realistic animes like Monster, and I really don't like  Rainbow hair colored people ( in anime.  Feel free to pain your hair if you want :D ) But at the same time, this anime has it's unique taste and atmosphere.  When Dark Hour  comes, the world changes.  From beautiful, sunny, calm, relaxing, bright  to  really dark, cruel, enigmatic world.  These changes are done very very very well.  Animation is really superb, and character are very well done too. Shadows and lighting makes gives it very nice atmosphere. Well, I really enjoyed it.

Music - as a musician you always give special attention to every sound you hear in music. And Shoji MEGURO the creator of soundtracks is really amazing!  I can't compare with Hans Zimmer, but Shoji gives Persona  very unique taste.  Elegat, intense, scary, funny, chilling, relaxing.  Music changes a lot, but every scene is given a different taste and atmosphere, which lets you feel that too.

Characters - we get to see all the same characters from the game, but as I've mentioned above we won't see those scences of our favorite characters having romance. Characters are develpoing ( a little), we get to see their emotions which are well done too ( in 2nd movie especialy, they did a very good job).  And you can't expect that you'll get everything you had in the game.

Overall - creators did a great job.  Lots of details and work on animation, amazing music and atmosphere, characters are attractive ( no, not body, guys.  Their actions, the things they do and say. )  Story is good, they stick with it and follows everyting. Maybe you miss some of the scenes you liked in a game, but still they're doing a very good job ( unlike those animes, who say have manga, and then chooses different story, gives bad ending and say - Buy manga to find out more!  or - Let's milk this cow (Naruto) till it's last, with hundrends of fillers to get money! Hell yeah! )

I played a game and loved it.  I watched this anime movie and I really enjoyed it.

But that's just my opinion,  I might be very wrong to you, so watch for yourself to have your mind on this. :)

( I didn't mentioned Velvet room, but Igor, his voice, the background music - This is soooooooo goooooood!!!!  Really :D You really got to love that. )

PurplePeopleEater's avatar
May 23, 2016

Okay, A really really really fast review.

I have never played the games. I don't know what happens in the games or how similar the anime is to the game. I am reviewing the anime as it's own thing unrelated to anything else. In other words, if you have played the games, this review might not be very useful to you.

It skips time. It's not as bad as SAO, but it skips time. On the upside, you know exactly what day, month, and year each event happened and exactly how many days have passed because it shows you. Down side: skips time. Upside: very informative when skipping?

The story itself is just the beginning but it still manages to have a decent ending. At the begining I was really confused and wondering what on earth is going on, but for the most part, they explained it shortly after and in a clear way. It didn't feel overly complicated like I need to be taking notes complicated either. The main character at first appears to be that uninterested, emotionless, and uncaring type but it's quikly revealed that there is something more to him somewhere inside of him so it's not annoying. The characters are strong and interesting and the setting is unique.

The animation is pretty average. It's not over the top and it fits the story. The difference between the dark hour and the normal times contrast well.

There are places where the music seems a little strange but otherwise it's not an issue.

Well, I enjoyed it and plan to watch the next one. Bye!

NeverStop's avatar
Jun 20, 2017

Just like the game, this anime movie series is non the less amazing. At first, i found the movies before the game. I was confused at first of the order because it was called persona 3, n i was wondering if their was a persona 1 movie I had to watch. I had to look it up to find out that this was the first one, n i really love the main character. he basically represents every teenager ever, n I enjoyed wartching his journey along with everyone else.

Beholder's avatar
Jul 21, 2014

Makes you wish you were playing the game instead. The awakening scene was done poorly and lacks the tension and awe of the original.   But thats just my opinion