Penguin Highway - Reviews

JadedDragos's avatar
Apr 24, 2019

The plot was fantastic on this one, starts out as just a boy and his extremely over complicated ultra smart thoughts and then WHEEE!!! fun plot. =-D

Animation was spectacular! Everything was clean cut and bold, wonderful backgrounds as well.

Sound was great, you could tell what was going on. Sound was crisp and clear, wonderful music throughout and a wonderful end credits song.

Character development and interaction was good to see. Didn't need any background on any of the characters really, since it was kind of a mystery for one of them and the rest were all kids. Interaction between them all went smoothly and fluid as you watched each one “grow” in their own way.

Overall this is a great movie to watch and I recommend this one to everyone! It's one that has some feels in it and in a way seems like a slice of life anime. Either way, a great watch!

iamnotneechan's avatar
Aug 24, 2020

PENGUINS!!! This movie is absolutely adorable and surprisingly the plot was pretty intricate. I expected a fairly simple "There are cute penguins in town and we will watch them be cute" but it was actually somewhat philosphical and deep. It's a really good "feel good movie" that will make you feel relaxed and whimsical and if that's what you're looking for than snuggle up in some warm blankets, get some hot cocoa and enjoy some fluffy penguins in amazing animation (really everything is so sparkly).

HoneyHam's avatar
Dec 4, 2020

No spoilers- This movie felt like a true fantasy. Each element of the story, characters, score, and visuals reflected the piece's whimsical outlook. The story felt like it was created, shaped, and told by the children starring in it, allowing the plot creative freedom to play with their fantasies. This is best demonstrated in the sequence where the kids come every day during their summer holidays to make observations about the bubble. It was such a simple concept, yet it was realized perfectly. It captured the kid's thoughts and feelings about their work, each other, and their discovery. Additionally, the final conflict felt like something only a child could dream up, yet it was grounded in reality, having real world consequences to the world and its characters within. I would have loved to learn more about the penguin girl, but I think her ambiguous details again contributed to the idea that the children shaped the story. Sometimes you don't know or have access to all the information you want, left to your own devices to piece together your version of the solution.

This movie was a whimsical ride and I hope you take the time to enjoy it like I did.