Patema Inverted - Reviews

Alt title: Sakasama no Patema

duchessliz's avatar
Jan 15, 2015

In a world where people live in an underground city where it's somewhat dark and confined they still live quiet and enjoyable lives. However, one girl by the name of Patema dreams of seeing the real world and exploring the surface. Her curiosity takes her to the danger zone in one of the underground tunnels and although she's been warned to stay away several times she cannot seem to help herself.

On the surface lives a boy name Age who watches the sky despite the fact that the government frowns on such habits. He lives in a world that is very reminiscent of a military dictatorship and the students are taught to focus only on the ground and to never look to the sky for it will take the sinners.

On one of her usual trips to the danger zone something unexpected happens and this leads to a meeting between Patema and Age. They both find themselves fascinated by the other. They each see each other as inverted as their worlds are opposite of each other. But this meeting leads to many hidden secrets of the past that begin to come to light as the story unfolds ...

My thoughts on this movie ... it messed with my head so much ... I was like 'oh, this is awesome' and then something unexpected happened and I was like o.O and then everything I thought was blown out of the water and then at the end I was like 'oh ... well that makes more sense!' I know that if you're taking the time to read this you're probably like 'wtf is she going on about?' and I would go into detail but it would totally ruin the plot for you, so just watch the movie and you will totally understand my ramble, trust me! So anyway, ya the plot was a little confusing but fascinating and despite the weirdness of trying to figure out how the freck it happened in the first place I still really loved it! (even if it is rather implausible, but it's an anime so ... anime logic?) The animation was stunning! Took my breath away at times! The soundtrack was wonderful, it really fit the movie and the mood of the story. The characters were awesome! Especially Age and Patema, and Porta was hilarious! xD I loved the friendship that developed between Age and Patema, it was really sweet! And Porta and Age cracked me up! I loved the crab walk scene when they were trying to duck the cameras ... so funny lol.

Overall this was a fantastic scifi-anime movie that I thoroughly enjoyed! I highly recommend it!

8.3/10 overall
Aly7's avatar
May 10, 2014

It has been a while since i have done a review since i haven't watched anime for a while. but since i have started to get into them again, i thought it was time go give reviewing another go since i missed it so much. i particularly decided to review this movie because i noticed that there were hardly any on the movie. and it's simply too good for that to be the case. so here it goes!

Visually stunning, with a promise of a sweet love-story, i was instantly intrigued. Petema Inverted is by no means mind-blowing but it's touching -and even quite deep at times- leaving me a lot to think about. It's exactly why i loved this movie so much.

Petema lives underground with others like her that they call 'inverted'. She is a rebellious girl whose curiosity gets the best of her one day, leading her cross the barrier that she never should have. It leaves her standing upside down, hanging on to a gate with all her might when she finds herself face to face with a boy in the surface world. They lock eyes, sparks fly, and every other cheesy word you can think of. But it is sweet and cute :).  As time goes on, you find that Eiji doesn't have it so good where he lives either. His world is made up of intense rules and regulations, to the point where there is not a smile within site on any individuals face. People look  robotic rather than human- a fixed wince on their faces, looking lost and weary. But with Petema in the picture Eiji finds himself wanting to protect her.

As her people are forbidden in his land, should she be found, the consequences would be dire. And so as they learn to rely and care for one another - facing obstacles in a world where looking at the sky is deemed a sin. A place where people do not have freedom or choice to do much at all. Eiji who has been alone since losing his father now finds new meaning to his life once he meets Petema - and Petema wanting to live life outside sealed walls craves for freedom.

I wouldn't say it is fast paced, but it does run at a more gradual pace. As long as you stay invested, there really shouldn't be a problem. Although we may not have the exact same problems, or hang upside down, there's a lot in this movie that touches the viewers heart. Many of us feels like we don't belong, and not being or feeling accepted is something that we still, and will continue to, struggle with. And so, as these fragile themes are explored, and very much part of the story line, it definitely leaves you with a bit of  a heavy heart.

lynxiify's avatar
May 9, 2016

One world, 2 gravitational pulls. This anime tells the story of how Patema, a normal girl who thirsts for adventure, accidentally tumbles down through the floor and into Aiga (what felt like another world). There she meets Age, a boy who is tired of living a boring life and aspires to reach the sky. Since Aiga and her world have different gravitational pulls, Patema looks like she is falling..up? Patema then gets the nickname "Inverted" and is being targeted by government of Aiga because she is seen as a threat. Wow, Age really has to work hard to get Patema out of this mess!

Though I would say that this anime does have a little romance mixed in between Age and Patema. They have a very cute relationship and it honestly made me really happy. It was not rushed either, their relationship felt natural, which is hard to do when you only have 1 hour and 30 minutes of screen time.

All in all, this film made me extremely happy. It is really hard to find good shows these days. But this movie stood out to me more than any 50 episode anime.

I'd recommend this movie to anyone who is looking for a beautiful, atmospheric anime that contained a heartfelt relationship with a little bit of Sci-fi mixed in.

NerdConsultant's avatar
Mar 7, 2016

can’t stress how much love and care went into the animation for this. It has to be seen to be believed. There are a ton of things I could easily mention in regards to other ways, as to how the animation works so well but it would be giving away too many plot points. You have to see it to believe it and that’s really how I can sum up the art style and visuals of this film.

Is there a negative I can say about this film? Well there a few of points I possibly could bring up on technical levels, like as I mentioned a few things are kind of left open to audience interpretation, and some of the lesser developments of characters, as I said before I think if those characters had been developed more than they already were, they would have taken up too much time in the movie, or the movie would have been too long. I think they are given just enough for it to work and I still felt that connection at the end of the film. At the end of the day it’s Patema and Age’s story.

The point really to make though is that despite the fact this film does have negatives that I can recognise, they don’t bother me. They didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the film and to be honest whether I saw a fault or not I thought, who cares, this is unbelievably good to watch. I can’t really sum it up any better way, I think you will just have to see it to see my point.

To sum up. I loved this film. Out of all the films I didn’t go to see in the cinema in 2014, this was my biggest regret, though admittedly a limited release probably meant it wasn’t playing in a cinema anywhere near me. It’s just stunning how much love and care went into making it. The plots great, the characters are great, it’s got some of the best animation I have seen in years and a soundtrack that matched it perfectly, its already in my favourite anime films movies, along with films like Spirited Away, Summer Wars, Wolf Children, Ghosts in the Shell and Jin-roh the Wolf Brigade.

If you buy no other film in the new year sales, track down a copy of Patema Inverted. I want this film to be a success and I’m not sure it’s going to be that way considering how limited the press releases on it have been. If you are going to see it, please do all you can to track down a Blu Ray copy and watch it on an excellent TV, at night, with the curtains drawn, it really is the best way to see this film, and for the love of god please see this film, its one brilliant film that you have to experience. Thats the best way to sum it up. It’s not a film, its an experience.

9.5/10 story
9.5/10 characters
ulead's avatar
Sep 2, 2014

Let me start with the good aspects of the movie, the sound and animation and the general concept.

The general concept of the movie is based around a post-apocalyptic world in which a gravity inversion experiment results in material (and people alike) to fall towards the sky. Its a refreshing look at perspectives (e.g. of people) in general. (There is a grand lesson in there somewhere...). The animation is a hybrid between Cell and CGI technology and both are used very efficiently and don't come off as cheap. The sounds and music appear appropriate but other than that are nothing special.

Now the bad part. The storyline, while taking place in a very interesting steampunk-ish world, fails to satisfy completly. Some generic evil orwellish regime seized power condeming and demonizing the people who fall to the sky bla bla bla. But even worse are the overall generic characters of prettymuch everybody (Patema, Age, Grampa, Lagos, the evil emperor, etc.) who lack depth sooo desperately.

Despite that the movie has an interesting concept and some pretty good animations to offer.

TL;DR: Set of generic characters/story in a nicely animated world with an interesting concept do generic actions.