Overlord IV - Reviews

This0nePerson's avatar
Aug 18, 2022

This new season of Overlord is quite excellent I the political drama this show has turned into has Ainz into a bit of a dumb character with little intelligence personally and in terms of how he perceives himself in that there's really nothing he understands he always acts like he doesn’t understand what he’s doing or what other people’s motives are they are just using him as a plot device to explain things to the viewers. While again we find the internal conflicts of the human nations and the problems of other non-human races even though their power struggles are ultimately meaningless.

So the characters of this story I would say the most promising is Demiurge, with the least attractive and least effective character being pandoras actor being just comedy relief. On top of all that, Ainz just keeps going further and further down this path of evil overlord, and yet he acts like he doesn’t even know what’s going on.

DL; DR

Good show but the main character isn’t even the main character he’s just how they explain the struggling plot for viewers.

7.8/10 story
8.4/10 animation
9.5/10 characters
8.7/10 overall
707hairline's avatar
Oct 29, 2022

I gotta say, Season 4 is definitely one of my favourite out of all of the seasons.

Compared how slow and calming in a way, from season 1 till season 4 is nice, and i love how you can see how Ains Ooal Gown is becoming less human minded every season, I will always love Overlord and always enjoy it, its a shame people think of it as a boring show and i can see why some people may, the villian always wins and its so boring because hes wins so effortlessly and stuff.. but its still amazing to me how he always find a strategy to each opponent.

i will look forward to any upcoming franchises, and will hope that there will be another season..

ReviewBonfire's avatar
Oct 18, 2022

Overlord 4

Of all the seasons, this one was definitely my favorite. Not only thanks to the improved animations, and faster pacing but also because of the more varied events. Of course, it's just another season for Overlord fans per se. If YOU are not a fan of this series, this season will not convince you either.

The scenario of a man who becomes an emotionless Overlord to devour the world, whose story is told from his narrative, does not appeal to everyone. In addition, this anime is very monotonous in the long run and always comes down to the same results. Ainz is cool, Ainz is badass, Ainz has no idea what's going on, but because of the humor aspect, all his comrades-in-arms understand it and celebrate him all the more. Misunderstandings and misinterpretations make for some humorous scenes but undermine the atmosphere.

If it were up to me, I could watch 100 seasons of Overlord, it's that simple. Unfortunately, it doesn't change the fact that the Overlord universe was created with a lot of detail, but this seems to have been mostly dropped in the anime adaptation. Just looking at how much content is lost from novel to anime breaks my heart.

[Story 4]

What began in the third season practically culminates here. The stories of many human protagonists that you have come to know to find an end or a continuation in this season. There is a final debate between the Magic Kingdom and the Human Kingdom and the resulting cosnequences.

Content-wise there is nothing worth mentioning, it's the same little political stories, some insight into the everyday life of the humans and Ainz's everyday life.

[Characters 4]

I really wish they had given the people more character depth or at least made them more sympathetic. Their deaths almost couldn't be more boring, as you can hardly feel anything as a viewer. The only character that did decently this season was the Prince which was actually interesting.

[Animations 6/ Music 8]

The Overlord outro and intro have practically always the same quality. Among other things, I can hardly tell them apart. The osts are very good and fitting, highlighting the important scenes especially well.

[Conclusion 5]

The fourth season of Overlord also remains mostly average and fails to convince in even a single aspect. Nevertheless, it is an entertaining show.

Would of course wish for an anime like Overlord that seems less like a comedy. Unfortunately, this anime does a poor job of distinguishing whether it's demonstrating an evil force, politics, or simply being its own Overlord parody.

[Enjoyment 7]

5.5/10 overall
Wartthh's avatar
Oct 16, 2022

Overall good season, BUT there is so much potencial wasted. The start is very slow and at least for me not so entertaining. The end is good with totally "unexpected" plotwist. I also have trouble distinguishing who the MC is. Ainz is overall inexpressive and many of his subordinates are more interesting than him.

Quite good, but could be better. 7,5/10

7.5/10 story
apoc9's avatar
Sep 27, 2022

Ainz Ooal Gown is back after four long years and my anticipation persisted through the season. I was looking forward to each episode. However, there are several issues I had with this season. More than ever this season skips lot of content from the source material. I’m not speaking just of Holy kingdom arc, which is for some reason to be adapted as a movie instead. For that very reason, the last arc of the season is quite out of the context. I’m still stuck far away from those LN volumes anyway as I’m slowly making my way through them. I’m merely observing the things do not make complete picture. The anime adaptation was since the first season abridged version of LN. I would like to say nothing changed in that regard, but it became more prominent. This season even shows for the first-time character introduced in volume 3 of LN [1], but I digress.

I’m happy the anime delivers some badass moments and fights. It was always the main appeal of the series after all. However, I was quite disappointed with number of rather anticlimactic moments [2]. It has become even more anticlimactic, than usually the ludicrous power gap between the Nazarick and other factions tends to make.
Another thing that bothered me even more than in the third season, which was the moment, when MC does some bad guy Overlord actions [3]. It might bring fear to your enemies, but on such scale would also put you on list of ruthless tyrants no country would ever respect or trust. The justification provided by the MC doesn’t work. MC established himself as dangerous superpower in the third season. Pretty much by that point it was accomplished. This move feels like forced for the sake of having things happen and tilts MC into being unsympathetic character.

Especially the ending leaves bunch of things unexplained as lots of things were occurring behind the scenes. Characters were introduced just to do almost nothing for the story as well.

Audio-visually the fourth season was good. I had impression in some regards the visuals were improved compared to the previous seasons.

Overall, I had good time watching the Overlord 4, but the story was all over the place. Just if you think the season 3 ended in bad ending scenario, this season tops that easily.

Spoilers

[1] Albedo’s sister Nigredo

[2] Death of Brain Unglaus.

[3] I’m speaking about the plan to genocide the kingdom.