Overlord III

Add review
stormhunter's avatar
Oct 6, 2018

The story inches forword, the animation used too many cheap CGI effects, the music OP/ED rocked, the characters were diverse if not unique. But overall it come together stronger then its parts.

I wonder sometimes if im watching a whole season of filler. Am i some lost soul waisting my life away watching naruto... i've grown to hate shows with 200 eps. Please just tell me a good story and give me some plot development in a concise manner. But for some reason i cant help but love watching Overlord. The shows plot should be called filler, but its the stuff you wanted to get filled in... because otherwise its a show where an overpowered team can do anything or kill anyone... Someone relized this.. so they decided you might as well play with the food.

Alchemyst's avatar
Mar 19, 2019

Honestly, the second and third seasons of the anime were just disappointing. The whole "massively overpowered MC" thing has been done a lot, and there are a number of ways to deal with it. You could choose to focus on the characters and their stories, but the other Nazarick guardians are all too busy worshipping Ainz to actually have their own stories. Ainz himself could be a focus, but honestly he's an incredibly passive character who just goes along with whatever plan his guardians think he's made, without actually trying to plan anything himself. The most interesting characters are the humans of the various native nations, but with the massive power gap between them and Nazarick's forces, there's little they can do to actually affect the plot. Honestly, the main character is the least interesting part of the story, and that's really not good.

If the characters are out, then maybe a political drama could work, but Ainz is just so blatantly, massively overpowered, both personally and in terms of resources, that there's really nothing anyone else can do about him. Once again, we find the internal conflicts of the human nations are vastly more intriguing than the schemes of Demiurge, but in the face of Nazaricks power, their power struggles are ultimately meaningless.

So if characters and plot are out, the only draw left would be sheer spectacle and flashy action, and with the fast consecutive releases of these seasons, they took so many shortcuts with crappy CG and poor animation that it's just not fun to watch anymore. This culminates in the ridiculously bad copy-paste CG and wooden animation of the Goblins and Eldritch monsters in the last episodes, where things that were supposed to be awe-inspiring and epic instead became laughably amateur, like a preschool performance of a Shakespearean play.

On top of all that, Ainz just keeps going further and further down this path of a heartless evil overlord, and we're shown that he doesn't even care. If there were some emotional conflict between loyalty to his companions and what he knows to be morally right, that might be an interesting story, but if he doesn't even care that he's evil, either to balk from his evil actions or to revel in them, then why should the viewer care?

TL;DR: Poor handling of the premise, one-dimensional characters, and cheap shortcuts in VFX make this take on the 'Overpowered MC' genre fail to shine. Maybe it's handled better in the novels, but as for the anime, it's just a let-down after the potential shown in the first season.

Panma's avatar
Dec 23, 2018

Overlord III continues the story... slowly.

Overlord is different than a lot of other action/adventure series. The original author of Overlord wrote the series to be less about any single character and more about the world our protagonist is now inhabiting. This is why each episode is so slow and there's very little actual focus on our protagonist. If this type of story bothers you then I can tell you that it's only going to get worse if they continue animating based on the light novel. The story, if anything, gets slower

Everything's pretty basic here. At least until the second to last episode. Just... what they hell were the producers thinking? They don't match either the promo art nor the text description. It's just bad CGI.

Almost exact same issue as the animation category. Seriously, that episode all by itself probably dropped the scores for animation and sound by a full point.

They're starting to spend a lot more time fleshing out side characters. At this point I'd almost argue it's hard to tell who the actual protagonist is supposed to be considering how little screen time he gets anymore. This wouldn't be so bad if they focused their attention on people that mattered to the world-at-large. But they don't. I don't care at all about some of the side characters - people whom we won't even see anymore once this (very long) arc wraps up.

This is also my biggest pet peeve with the original author. He spends so much time on filler characters when he has good, and most importantly, relevant characters that he could be spending his time on. I'd love to watch more of the guardians. There's even guardians that we never get to see. So much wasted potential here.

Closing thoughts

You're probably going to continue watching Overlord. Who are we kidding, you've made it to the third season so you're almost obliged to continue. Just be aware that things don't get better. In fact, they get worse.

SKirito's avatar
Jun 13, 2019

This is the best anti-hero series I have seen so far.

Simply Awsome