Overlord II - Reviews

andreichekov's avatar
Mar 8, 2018

TL;DR Disappointing. Don't watch this, read the novel. They try to do too much and as such none of it is done well.

This sequel is disappointing. It has some interesting things, but it suffers from light novel syndrome. An anime is shorter than a light novel, and they try to include too much. So instead of getting a story that is gripping and entertaining, you have episodes following stories that just don't seem important because they aren't tied to the characters we care about, or they just don't finish... Also, all the story things happening last season? Yeah, nothing is answered at all. Just more questions. Looks like it is setting up to be one of those things with 100+ episodes, and ain't nobody got time for dat shit.

Also, the animation is really clumsy in this one. I didn't notice in the first season because the story gripped me enough.

Music works. Nothing special to see here.

A couple characters get some good development. New characters turn up and get no development. Overall, it left me liking an old character more, and just despising everyone else.

Overall, I'd say don't watch this if you have anything better to do. Like knitting socks for your computer desk. Read the novel thing. This feels like its just pulling bits of it at random, and doesn't feel like a story anymore.

Also, dear Japan, please stop making anime out of things written by 12 year olds.

Paradrip95's avatar
Feb 26, 2018

A must watch!!!!!!!!! ( this is season 2) A few slow episodes at e start but so far so good, on par or maybe even better hen the first season in some ways

Op mc finally has a bit of worry in him (no spoilers other then that) making the anime even more intriguing an originally

The story is finally coming together and the bond between the mc and his companions can not only be seen but felt ,

Origin stories of his guild make me love is anime even more so , as I love back stories ;3

Definitely an anime to rewatch over and over

And over...Andover.. And over ;)

ferengi4's avatar
Mar 13, 2018

I really enjoyed the first season, it did nothing unique but was well put together, and so I expeted the same or better in the next season and I must say I was shorly disappointed. The first 6 or so episodes were boring and the only good stuff related to loyalty with the followers of Ainz. I remember a reveal of a girl with a rubiks cube early in the show yet I have never seen her since?? Don't understand what this season is trying to do at all

Ryukami's avatar
Mar 28, 2018

Ainz/Momon continues his "world conquest?", except this season he rarely makes an appearance and the whole season feels like world building and as cute as lizard people in love are and as interesting as Sebas gaining an ego is, I just wished that some parts would have been given less screen time and other more.

Supposed real people acting chuuni as hell and while this is mostly cringy, it occasionally makes one smile.

How dare they give best girl Nabe so little screen time!? Makes me sad :(

One question must be asked: Where did the money go? After the success of the first season and manga/LN, one might think that Season 2 would get an even bigger budget than Season 1, but if so why did the overall quality drop?

Story is all over the place and generally a mess, yet I still find myself liking most parts, especially when Ainz isn't acting like a massive a-hole.

Animation is good, but not as good as the 1st season.

Same-ish sound design, pretty good.

More than half of the characters are full of themselves, Ainz is still a bad actor and I see no real reason why he continues to act the way he does (other than fearing the NPC's abandoning him, maybe there is some force that is forcing him without his knowledge).

Panma's avatar
Mar 13, 2018

If you enjoyed the first season of Overlord, you may enjoy the second season too but be prepared because the second season has very little, if anything, to do with the MC. The entire second season is world building where they explore various other races or political drama.

Which, if you're anything like me, is extremely annoying. What made the first season enjoyable was watching the MC interact with his new world. It wasn't the greatest story, but it was still interesting and fleshed out fairly well. And so, what made the first season great, is completely absent from the second season.

Like I said earlier, if you really enjoyed the first season then it may be worth it to watch the second but with the mindset that this isn't a sequel but more of a spinoff.