Osamake: Romcom Where The Childhood Friend Won't Lose - Reviews

Alt title: Osananajimi ga Zettai ni Makenai Love Comedy

JustInCaseD's avatar
Oct 3, 2021

I'm not sure why a fair number of people have really hyped up this show as much as I've been hearing lately. It got me to watch it, and I did stick through the whole thing, but I'm left very underwhelmed by what I've seen. Because starting from the 2nd episode onward I couldn't help but keep thinking that... this is just Nisekoi re-skinned. Switch around Chitoge and Onodera's starting positions - keeping their personalities - and swap gangs with actors guilds; you get Osamake.

The only things unique and interesting about this anime is the self-awareness, but unlike how it's advertised they hardly dip into this theme. For the things they did do, the title is obviously a joke at the trope that the childhood friend never wins in a romance or harem anime. Problem here is: every single girl in our MC's harem just so happens to be... a childhood friend. It's definitely a clever plot conception, just wish they did more with it.

The furtherest they went with the self awareness was one particular scene where the girls were all driving in a car ride together. I will spoil this one particular scene - but don't worry, it's not important to the overall plot so if you're trying to avoid full spoilers in a review before possibly going in. Anyways, Momo (basically Marika 2.0 for Nisekoi fans) explaining to her friend how she was in "last place" and how the best way to avoid losing her love interest (the MC) was to ensure that their situation kept resulting in a harem until she can find a way to surpass her competition. This and the hidden agenda of the male best friend was by far the most interesting and noteworthy events that happened - and was far more interesting than the main storyline plot.

These events were the only things that saved this show from being lower than a 4/10. Because besides that: the show is horribly bland and boring. Other than the few stated examples: they don't really expand upon the self-awareness theme advertised in the title. It's as generic as it gets and really doesn't stand out in the slightest from the plethora of other high school-based harems out there. The side plot was more interesting than following the MC and his entourage of Nisekoi knock-offs.

No other special qualities about this either. Animation was average, OP and ED were completely generic/unnotable, and while there were a couple of genuninely interesting/standout characters (The male best friend and Momo) the majority of the core cast was just so bland and uninteresting it hurts. Osamake could've been something fun and refreshing, but instead it embodies the thing it was supposed to be making a joke of: being another completely generic and forgettable harem anime.

I think Obi-Wan can describe my disappointment well in one sentance:

At best this show is a budget Nisekoi you can watch if you really happen to crave something that comes loosely close to matching it's sort of "false/fake love" theme. Much like how Asterisk War is considered the step down version of Chivalry of a Failed Knight which fans of that show go to for the feeling of similar content; Osamake is pretty much that equivalent for Nisekoi. Unless you have a desire to see another, dollar store knock-off of Nisekoi - it's not worth it. I could very easily give this a 3, but there were at least some things it well and I did manage to make it to the end. The highest and most generous grade I could give this is a 4/10. It had a good premise and if it kept to that premise it could've been genuinely interesting, but after the first episode it completely deviated from it and fell off hard.

Gozza's avatar
Jun 18, 2021

I dropped the show after a few episodes because it's just another show with a gimmick. The general idea in anime is that the childhood friend never wins the affection of the main protagonist so to solve that problem we're introduced to multiple girls from the main protagonists past who are now fighting over his affection.

Every action that the characters were making to progress the plot just made me scratch my head. It's one of those shows that likes to create confusion for the sake of creating confusion... and thinks it's being funny because of it. Just because a show mocks other shows in its genre doesn't mean that it's automatically a fun and great experience.

The animations aren't half bad, but the plot and its characters are just really not that appealing. I would suggest skipping this show because there are plenty of shows out there that simply do it better.

Dhaifz's avatar
Jun 30, 2021

it's just your typical harem/romance anime nothing special about it except for the title itself.

fs: 4/10

devishjack's avatar
Feb 22, 2022

This is the first review I have decided to do. Not because this show is all that special, but because the other reviewers seem to have the wrong idea of the show.

Let's start with the story (since that is easily the most interesting part, for the first half of the season). I've never seen a romcom go so heavy on manipulative characters like this. Most people seem to think that the "gimmick" of the show is the childhood friend constantly losing through-out. And that is my biggest problem with the misunderstanding of this show. The main "gimmick" is how just about every character (even the side characters that do almost nothing for most of the plot) are conniving scumbags constantly scheming for the most selfish reasons. It almost makes you hate every character and love interest. So for the story, it gets a 5/10.

The characters are interesting with their own quirks, at the beginning. but as th show progressed most of the characters became the same bland romcom girls you see everywhere. So for characters, it gets a 2/10.

I don't really care for sound design as much. But nothing really stood out at amazing or horrible. So it gets a 5/10.

The animation isn't anything all that special. But it's not bad and in fact is pretty good most of the time. 6/10.

ShadowEminence's avatar
Jul 3, 2021

Well first of all it has some major issues like the story; it was pretty understandable upto the first 3 to 4 episode but then the story just rolled here and there and didn't have a solid plot. Second ; the characters were good and nice but there animation was a bit deformed like dancing scenes etc. There were also face and whole character deformations like what happened in dragonball super. Well at last the harem idea is cliché except putting a childhood tag on the heroines and its pretty confusing as the story progresses . Well if you don't  have anything to watch , you can try it.