One Piece Special 1: Adventure in the Ocean's Navel - Reviews

Alt title: One Piece Special 1: Umi no Heso no Daibouken-hen

PharuanUndearth's avatar
Mar 30, 2016

This again follows the old One Piece formula; the child needs help from some baddie, SHP comes to the rescue. Cue the applause. This time though it's a bat, that revives as a skeleton who turns out to be the main antagonist, wtf. Also, why is there a city/town down here?

Pros: Early Brook deployment, maybe? Cool monsters.

Cons: Another Santa Luffy specialty. The story was a bit boring, fights were too quick.

Base-line characters, a new type of boss bad guy, a nice ah-ha moment at the very end. A one-time watch only.

8.5/10 animation
5.5/10 sound
Teoca317's avatar
Oct 15, 2022

I wasn't expecting too much from this special. But, I actually enjoyed it. This special takes you back to the old days of One Piece. Back when there were only five Strawhats. Back when the Going Merry was their ship. Back when they had weird little adventures.

I thought the story had a nice One Piece feel to it. The Strawhats discover a new place and go to save the village and its people from an evil pirate. The old One Piece comedy was perfect. I enjoyed seeing the different groups have their own but similar adventures on the island.

The special nailed the original strawhat's personality! Luffy being classic Luffy. Zoro sleeping at the beginning and staying behind to fight the sea monster while Luffy went ahead. Nami loving her treasure. Usopp trying his best to be brave. Sanji attempting to flirt with the new character.

All in all, it was pretty good. I gave it 8/10 (mostly because of the nostalgia)

7.5/10 characters