Ojii-san no Lamp - Reviews

YuiYui's avatar
Mar 25, 2016

Warning this review may contain spoilers-

Lamps...oh the joy of lamps, all these different lamps to be completely discarded by the likes of humanity as they all switch to electricity. This anime was an Anime Mirai projec and it was really good, it is a short that anyone can watch and hopefully enjoy.

STORY

I can't lie, the start  was pretty slow and started to get boring, it wasn't until around 10 minutes in that things started picking up. The story was sweet when it got into it with aspects of romance as well as drama all coming back to the idea of lamps. Who could of thought that lamps could play such a bit part in a short drama anime XD (I would of liked to see a bit more character development though xx)

ANIMATION

It was simple yet  really sweet, there wasn't too much detail in the design of the characters but I think this represented the whole idea behind the short movie.  The scenery was really well done and honestly it didn't really bother me that it was extremely simple.

SOUND

Voice acting was good but nothing too amazing, and the background sounds were quite sweet. The music I remember was quite fitting to the storyline and yeah it was all quite good.

CHARACTERS

Minosuke is our main character, a lamp seller in our little village and he wasn't a bad main, yeah it got a bit annoying but nothing really wrong with him. His female partner Setsu I wished would of played more of a role, I feel like the few scenes she was in didn't make much of an impact.

Overall this would of been a nice series if there was a bit more development of certain characters but I would still recommend to people interested.

-AngelBeatsYui-

PS: This is for the Daily Anime Marathon Club March 2016

ChineseWick's avatar
Feb 12, 2024

"Ojii-san no Lamp" ("Grandfather's Lamp") is a poignant short film that delves into themes of change, tradition, and the passage of time. This anime tells the story of a young boy who discovers an old, oil lamp in his grandfather's storage, leading to a heartfelt recounting of the grandfather's past and the evolution of society with the advent of electricity. The narrative skillfully juxtaposes the simplicity of the past with the complexities of modernization, offering viewers a reflective glimpse into Japan's transition from the Meiji to the Showa period.

Illuminating the Past

• Historical Context: The anime shines in its portrayal of a critical period in Japanese history, capturing the essence of a nation on the cusp of modernization. It presents an accessible and engaging entry point into understanding the socio-cultural shifts of the time.
  • Emotional Depth: Through the lens of the grandfather's life story, "Ojii-san no Lamp" explores the emotional impact of change, both on individual lives and traditional ways of living. The narrative is imbued with a sense of nostalgia and melancholy, yet it also celebrates the resilience of the human spirit in the face of progress.

Flickers of Discontent

• Brevity and Depth: Given its short format, the film sometimes struggles to fully develop its themes and characters. While it effectively sets the stage and introduces compelling ideas, viewers may be left wanting more exploration and resolution.
  • Pacing: The pacing of "Ojii-san no Lamp" can feel uneven at times, with significant events and transitions within the grandfather's life story compressed into a brief runtime. This can occasionally detract from the emotional weight of the narrative.

A Gentle Glow

• Artistic Presentation: The animation and art style of "Ojii-san no Lamp" contribute significantly to its storytelling, with attention to historical detail and a warm palette that reflects the film's nostalgic tone. The visual storytelling complements the narrative beautifully, enhancing the overall experience.
  • Cultural Significance: This anime offers valuable insights into the impact of technological advancements on traditional societies. It prompts reflection on the broader themes of memory, heritage, and the inevitable march of progress, making it a meaningful watch beyond its entertainment value.

Conclusion
"Ojii-san no Lamp" is a tender and thought-provoking short film that gracefully navigates the complexities of change and tradition. While its concise format limits the depth of exploration, the story resonates with a universal message about the passage of time and the importance of remembering our roots. Its beautiful animation and poignant narrative make it a worthwhile watch for those interested in historical transitions and the personal stories entwined with them. Despite its limitations, the film succeeds in casting a lasting light on the enduring human capacity to adapt and cherish the past.