Ocean Waves

Alt title: Umi ga Kikoeru

Add review
ShannonApple's avatar
Jun 21, 2016

I'm a HUGE Ghibli fan and you know what this was? Absolute garbage. I actually bought it randomly on DVD because you know, it was Ghibli. There was no character development, or, well the characters were dull, dull storyline. It was so boring, but I kept watching til the end, hoping for a point to it. I actually don't even know what I watched. Nope.

If you love Ghibli as much as I do, skip this one.

pokingroamers's avatar
Jan 2, 2015

Garbage. That’s what happens when you leave film production to overambitious young animators. Apparently they exceeded the budget and left Studio Ghibli fans to chow down on a tasteless piece of animation. I was bored, even the characters in the film looked bored.

It still accommodated the calming Studio Ghibli atmosphere, however one dimensional characters and their one dimensional existence left me unable to relate to them.

And anyways, who wants to see emotionally unstable girl and the dullest guy ever existed going on an ‘adventure’ in Tokyo. It’s not a hidden Studio Ghibli gem, ladies and gentlemen. SHUT IT DOWN!

AirCommodore's avatar
Jan 1, 2010

My only experiences with Studio Ghibli up to this point have been with Miyazaki's films, so I picked one at random, and this is what I got.

STORY

Ocean Waves is very realistic. It's a story about normal people living their normal lives. It's focused on problems that seem very petty compared to most anime, whose plots contain sweeping melodrama and constant twists and turns, and thus is rather more relatable, for what that's worth. Adding to the realism are things that wouldn't normally be included in an anime (a girl mentions her period, there's a brief scene of a few of the teenaged characters drinking), as well as complicated emotions that are hard to portray. One of the more impressive plot points (to me) took place in the school. Countless anime take place in Japanese schools, and almost all of them take their drama from the interactions between students. Ocean Waves did this for the most part, but also included conflict between the students and the school itself- the administration and how the school was being run.

Ocean Waves also manages to be one of the slowest-paced things I've ever watched. Which isn't really my thing.

ANIMATION

Passable. It's obviously made by Ghibli, but as a made for television movie, instead of one that was shown in theaters, it had a noticably smaller budget. The designs are atractive enough, and the animation of the movements are alright, there just aren't that many movements to animate, and a marked over-reliance on still shots.

SOUND

If you played the soundtrack from this film back to me, I probably wouldn't recognize it. The music had very little presence.

CHARACTERS

Like the story, the characters were very realistic. They aren't exciting, they probably won't make it on your list of favorite characters, but their personalities and how they interact with each other and react to situations was very realistic.

SoulOfLion's avatar
Feb 24, 2016

Wooo? What exacly I wached?

That wasn't funy, wasn't sad, wasn't even stupid.
Every piece of this anime is neuter. Totaly neuter.
I don't recommend this anime for nobody, bcs it is about nothing, and don't deliver any deepest contents.

Thrawn's avatar
Feb 18, 2011

Ocean Waves might just be the most realistic anime I've watched, or close to. Or the most realistic slice-of-life. Either way or both, it's so realistic that it boarders and crosses the line to Mundane County, which is both a good and bad thing. It also means that it's slow, real slow. But that slowness adds to the mundane, also a good/bad thing.

I didn't care much for the music and I had no problem with the VO's, but I am a fan of Studio Ghibli, so the animation struck a good note for me. It's the usual fare and it's comforting that it isn't different, but it might be a problem for some for it not changing.

The characters are normal and aren't particularly special and it has it's own double-edged blade in that. But if you need a romance fix, this might take care of it; if you don't mind a slow ride through the country. It's pleasant, but even now I'm unsure if it'll leave a lasting impression on me months from now.

7.5/10 animation