Occultic;Nine - Reviews

Gozza's avatar
Dec 15, 2018

A very interesting concept about a group of lighthearted characters who find themselves in a dark thriller murder mystery filled with super natural elements like black magic, fortune telling, the spiritworld and the afterlife.

I really didn't know what to expect from the show, the only thing I knew for sure was that Ryouka Narusawa had ginormous boobs. So I went into this series with really low expectations and it turned into something that I really didn't expect. not only was it a positive suprise, I couldn't stop watching.

Eventhough the show dives into some serious conspiracy style content, it also tries to not take itself too seriously by adding characters like Ryouka Narusawa. It's all put together in a very playful manner but has a very violent tone to it too.

The show really caught me off guard. Not only did it manage to grab my interest from the first second, it never really slowed down either. All the characters are treated with a lot of care, they're all allowed to be the star of the show and are all given the time to work through their issues.

The artstyle, the story telling and the characters are done in typical A-1 Pictures fashion and it really lends itself for a show like Occultic;Nine.

I do feel kind odd giving it such a high rating because I really enjoyed this but at the same time I know I'll forget about this show in a couple of years time because it didn't have that same type of impact like a Gurren Lagann. It almost does everything right, it just feels a bit rushed at the very end.

Bucknerd's avatar
Jan 2, 2017

Score: 3.5 out of 5 stars / 7 out of 10

Pros:

• Fantastic soundtrack and art
  • Uncoventional direction and mystery
  • Unique and interesting characters
  • A satisfying enough ending

Cons:

• The plot is entirely too rushed
  • The "science" used to explain the occult is a deus ex machina
  • Ryo-tas's breast size is distracting.  It's fine to have a character with a large bosom but have the character's body move realistically.  It's fine to be exagerated in ecchi but this isn't remotely of that genre

Review Summary: While Occultic;Nine manages to deliver above average art and music the length of the series hinders the ultimate enjoyment of the story by rushing plot development and intrigue.  This should have been a 24 episode show in order for an intelligent story arc to shine beyond the incoherent, rushed exposition that we were given.

You may like tihs if: You enjoyed Steins;gate or Mekaku City Actors

Recommended with caution

PurplePeopleEater's avatar
Oct 9, 2016

This review has been updated to cover episode one and two

(The second episode is far better than the first.)

STORY: The main character is a NEET blogger hoping to get rich from his blog. His partner your typical ditzy big boobed girl. He meets a famouse fortune teller from his school who wants to help him for some reason. The mc goes to a mans house to talk to him and instead finds a dead body.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS are very important. The mind relies on them to make decisions and they influence how we perceive what follows the first impression. For a story, first impressions often determine whether one continues with the story or disregards it.

The beginning of a story should draw the viewer or reader or listener in. In general, it should establish a basic idea of the setting for it to later elaborate on. It should also introduce the characters and encourage the audience to connect with the characters or at least be curious about them (at least the main character). It is equally important not to overwhelm the audience with too much information in too short of a time.

Why am I repeating what you probably heard in literature class in grade school (or theater or a movie class or whatever)? I’m repeating it because, in this case, the first episode did not do a very good job of giving a good first impression. That’s not really all that unusual, but still….

The first episode of Occulttic;Nine (O9 for short) was not paced well at all. I can’t say with certainty whether there was a case of information overload, but the dialogue was often spoken so fast as to make it seem like it. I’m a fast reader and I still had difficulty keeping up with how fast the words appeared on the screen. It was especially hard when more than one person was speaking at a time in a fast pace. Perhaps the creators thought the mc’s speedy conversations added to the character. Maybe they wanted to fit more into the first episode than they should have. Regardless, I’m glad the second episode was better.

As far as introducing the setting goes, the scenery can do that job. The characters introductions were another story. Since the mc and sidekick talked so fast, the introductions were fast. I don't think I like the mc or his sidekick which is unusual for me. They

The episode as a whole felt like a blur. I was not impressed. However, I rarely quit an anime based on the first episode.

THE SECOND EPISODE of O9 was about 50 times better than the first. Actually, I only noticed a few issues. 1. The transitioning between scenes and characters wasn’t very smooth. 2. It sort of felt like it was done in chronological order, but at the same time it felt like it might be bouncing around a bit, although I don’t think it was. 3. Since the first episode didn’t do a very good job introducing the situation, characters, etc., it made the story a bit less clear than it probably could have been.

On the upside, the characters spoke at a more normal pace. I had time to finish reading AND watch the characters and observe the background. Blinking didn’t cause me to miss a chunk of the conversation. I was able to connect with the characters more as well, at least the fortune teller. The story was a LOT more interesting too. It drew me in. This time, I’m actually looking forward to the next episode. I’m no longer thinking that watching this anime will feel like work. I still don’t think this will be my favorite of the season, but it won’t be my least favorite. Besides, I’m pretty sure Cheating Craft already stole that spot.

I will probably wait to update this review when the series finishes. Unfortunately, no matter how much it improves or how interesting it becomes, it has already lost points for the first episode. Hopefully it ends better than it began though.

sakuramemories's avatar
Jun 9, 2018

Another ANIME GEM recently discovered!! aaaa i just love it. the story.. the style the art.. the only thing wrong about this anime is ryotas's assets.  (-_-)

Anyways.. if you're into physics.. inventions.. supernatural occultic mysteries.. then this is totally the best show to make you think a lot.

Enjoy! :3

Kuyosaki's avatar
Nov 15, 2016

Occultic;Nine

The latest child of the Semi;Colon family brings cults, magic and what not into the mostly sci-fi house.

Now how is the Semi;Colon family living...

Everyone goes to school, Stein-kun is the most popular and educated student, Chaos-senpai will soon graduate, Robotics-san tries her best to have better grades while Occultic keeps meeting with his friend A1Pics who manipulates him into doing no good, doesn't respect his teachers, paints grafitti (the bad looking ones, not the masterpieces) and also is hyperactive.

Everytime Occultic talks to you, your head starts to hurt because you try so hard to listen to him but there has never been a human being capable of absorbing so many informations at once.

Now really...

O;N the anime is rushed so much that you can even hear the need to put everything into 12 episodes. You can't feel the mystery because the characters talk so fast even eminem would be impressed. Scenes are rapid so you won't get the chance to show some empathy.

Animation isn't that bad but it is neither new or special, except the noses and the girl with rack so big it would probably cause 3 types of cancer in the real world. Other than the overall rush which also affects animation there isn't anything wrong with it.

I would like to know count of how many times did the VA's bite their tongues...

Out of all so far known characters, the only like-able one is maybe the trans bartender, MC is retard, Big Rack Grill can't be more weird, Streamer Girl is a hoax because she haven't show cleavage in any of her streams which is impossible, Wise Guy is ok.

The overall idea of O;N is so far nice, unless the giant tits are somehow relevant to the plot I categorize them as a brain fart of author as well as the random alien taser she brings up which doesn't make any sense. And the way A1 handeled the adaptation doesn't help it at all...

Episode 9 edit: There was a scene of 2 characters talking and you could literally hear that their voice lines overlap eachother.