Non Non Biyori

Add review
alexthetrex's avatar
Feb 22, 2015

Non Non Biyori (lit. Non Non Weather),
is a slice of life and a comedy anime that I would easily recommend to both young and older viewers. From the very first episode on to the end of season two, viewer’s interest remains captivated and soothed through the portrayal of pristine environments, thoroughly enjoyable and quirky adventures of its characters, and a calming soundtrack. There is much charm to the serene and slowly paced storyline, which is dynamically complemented by the incremented character development of a whimsical cast. Thus, if you wish to relax, laugh, and enjoy life; I couldn’t recommend this anime enough.

Story: 8/10
The story is fitting of the (SOL) genre, and has high rewatch value. Twenty minute-long episodes are segmented such that each new day in the countryside village of Asahigaoka is presented along with its quirky laughs, disputes and unique adventures.

Art: 10/10
Much attention and care has been invested into the artwork. This is witnessed through the impressive background scenery. As examples, viewers are presented with a view of rocks within a stream of running water, the gentle sway amongst fields of grass in the wind, as well as a buzzing reminder as to surrounding insect life. The smooth and perfect visual integration of movement or processes within nature such as these, all serve to bring the scenes and its interrelated components towards a nearer degree of reality.

Sound: 10/10
The songs utilized for the opening (by nano.RIPE) and ending (by ZAQ), are fitting to the anime’s theme and exceptional recordings that are well worth checking out. The original soundtrack is even more impressive, where the composer Hiromi Mizutani strikes dissonant notes at seemingly perfect times, dualistically capturing the essence of nature and its fragility through the simple and off key sounding of a child’s recorder (aka Renchon’s melody). Also too, I now acknowledge the excellent use of silence in many situations within this anime; I can ascertain that it has served as most effective in enhancing viewer’s (such as myself) emotional perceptibility and relatedness towards the characters during concurrent situations.

Characters: 8/10
The cast is rather simplistic, but individually they are also quirky and unique; each in their own ways. This is further conducive towards enabling many comedic moments all throughout the anime. In addition, a case can be made in regards to the prevalence of a shōjo atmosphere, this is because almost all characters are female, and the few males are rendered insignificant to the point that it is funny.

Enjoyment: 10/10
As the story revolves around charming, and adorable girls, this means that inciting incidents mainly involve goofing around, dodging chores, and having fun in any which way possible. Then, from this I conclude that the degree of enjoyment derived from this anime lies in the beholder; in other words, that it depend’s on viewer’s preference or their appreciation for simplistic themes such as innocence and play.

Overall: 9/10
I hope you enjoy~

pinkarray's avatar
Jun 14, 2017

The story is sort of about some country kids who have moved from Tokyo and are experiencing culture shock with their new environment as most people will, especially at a very young age like these girls are. It's a feel-good series that will brighten your days even if your sad with rare touching moments in it. Not a very original plot with cliched characters.

I don't know why people are so into these characters, they're pretty much your typical whiny kid. The only one I like out of the bunch and is my favorite character is Natsumi, now she was fun to watch but not great because she does get explosive. But the other characters are mediocre, Hotaru is a crybaby, Komari is a know-it-all who hates being called and treated like a little girl. And the youngest girl (I forgot her name but I think it's Rin), rather acts more like an adult than a kid.

I'm one who doesn't think this needs a sequel because I'm not fond of Non Non Biyori, it was a childish and silly comedy series with some weird elements to it, not surprising for a series aimed at kids but even they might find some of the series' music too babyish. Though, the series is not very very weird but it's still weird. Though, some parts did make me laugh but some jokes fell flat.

nerdatlas's avatar
Jan 17, 2016

Non Non Biyori as the summary above suggests, follows Hotaru when she moves from Tokyo to a very small rural town. The anime focuses on her and three of her classmates over the course of one year. Overall, its cute, but was at times slow or boring to watch. I enjoyed the show most when I was doing something else while watching it.

Story: There's not much in the way of overarching plot. Each episode just highlights a moment during Hotaru's first year in her new home. Episodes were slow at times, especially the first few episodes, but I grew to enjoy the show later on.

Animation: Can't say I really payed much attention to it. I enjoyed the bright colors, and nothing stuck out as off-putting so I'd say the animation was pretty good.

Sound: The opening song is upbeat, much like the show, but not very memorable. The closing song was much more meorable, because it sounded like the main characters were singing it. I found it cute and fun to listen too.

Characters: Eh. I didn't hate any characters, which is good because there aren't any antagonists. I cringed quite a bit at Hotaru's obsession with her senpai Komari. She also wasn't nearly the most interesting character on the show, which is a shame considering she's the main character.

Komari is also not quite as entertaining a character. I enjoyed her character most when she was intereacting with her sister Natsumi. Their relationship reminded me of when me and my sisters were little, and their personalities play off of each other well. I also often felt sympathy for Natsumi, as her mother would often compare her to her older sister. Yeah, the kid got into a lot of trouble, but it bothered me that their mother would go straight to shouting at the poor girl. It added to the character development, so I'd like to see maybe their mother treating Natsumi a little better in the next season.

• On a side note, Komari and Natsumi have an older brother as well named Suguru. He literally does not speak, and only makes a few appearances throughout the show. The few times we do see him however add to his character, and threw some lighthearted humor into the episode as well.

The last kid, Renge, is also the youngest. She is curious and imaginative, often spouting nonsense at random intervals. She was my favorite, and if you want to know why, it was episode 10. She was positively adorable, and I enjoyed that even though all of her friends were older than her it never seemed like she was ignored in the show.

• More side notes. Her older sister Kazuho is the only teacher at their school (hell they're the only students). Her head is often in the clouds and to me at elast, it doesn't seem like they get a lot of learning done. We also have a little peak at what she was like as a kid and it has me confused, because she seemed much more energetic than how we see her throughout most of the show. What happened? Was Renge that much of a handful?

As for any parents... there really isn't much to say. I made my case about Komari's and Natsumi's mom, Hotaru's parents briefly show up maybe twice in the whole show, and I don't even remember seeing Renge's parents. The show explains this as because they often work long hours (I believe they are all rice farmers?) This creates the feeling that the kids are raising themselves for the most part. The make up their own fun and learn from the hijinks they get into. That's all the show is really.

The only other adult that you meet is Kaede, who runs the candy store. She was an enjoyable character to me, and her friendhship with Renge was a highlight of the show for me.

Overall I suggest this show. I watched it a few epsiodes at a time due to the slow pacing, but the show is a cute and refreshing break from the drama and action that is the center of otheer animes. I would say this is appropriate for all ages as well, so if you're a parent or you babysit munchkins, and it comes subbed only if you were wondering.

ClubFoot's avatar
Sep 13, 2018

I think everyone who watched slice of life anime found it monotonous because of the lack of characters, story, and plot which became pointless at the first from the end. Everyone seems to miss the entire point what is “slice of life.” According to Wikipedia, a slice of life is an overview of mundane experiences in art and entertainment while in literary, a narrative technique which seemingly arbitrary sequence of events in a character’s life is presented. I emphasize, “often lacking plot development, conflict and exposition, and often having an open ending.” Regardless, there are still many people missed the whole points of what slice of life in which I always find it such as “Lucky☆Star” and even “K-ON!“. One of the best slices of life that describes the whole genre, personally, is “Non Non Biyori” which I think is one of the best of all. Adapted from a manga by Atto, “Non Non Biyori” is one that describes everything from how the characters relate their daily experience without any interference other than the plot, characters development, and conflict. Everything in this anime “almost” approaches the main points of what is a slice of life and it’s one of well-crafted yet so peaceful.

It’s not quite interesting when we talk about the story itself. With a rural background that looks boring without any knowledge, this is the main setting of how to describe a slice of life in a peaceful way. Simply put, this is a story about four girls of various ages who live in a quiet village, are in the same class with the same school. As its story introducing Hotaru Ichijou, the fifth grader who is a new student at the school, that’s just the beginning. The story’s told calmly in your heart as if giving you an impression such a life is still worth it. It pulls you into the story so that you really feel how these characters feel too. It’s told in a realistic way with not too exaggerated impressions. In a nutshell, it’s a kind of “turn your brain off” anime where you don’t need to find out who is the perpetrator of serial killing or the final confrontation between Gary Stu and Mary Sue.

Each episode sometimes contains one or more stories which sometimes one or two characters are the major of the story. Takes the example of Renge Miyauchi, the youngest student first grader and Hotaru Ichijou which is sometimes the main center in some stories. There is a unique relationship between daughter and sister who are contradictory between who is younger and vice versa such as Komari Koshigaya and Natsumi Koshigaya. Like the slice of life in general, which I always watch, the humor is in a low-tone. It’s valuable to not ruin the atmosphere of peace itself. But, I found that kinda funny in some parts yet there is a special nuance that directly touches your soul. It’s not your typical humor of laughing out loud but it’s more into lowering the tone so that it doesn’t impress too much.

The artwork is like a photograph presented anywhere. The depiction of a rural setting that is so peaceful makes you want to participate in it. Yet it’s more like the character of the movement and the background which sometimes seems as if it’s not in there but such a pure one like an art on display or could be put in a wallpaper desktop. The sound effects are one of the best, almost. Because the main focus of this anime is to use “peace” as its main major, almost all the sound effects I find being silence while sometimes are like a whistle that is peaceful as if blown by the wind. While all the voice act supports all the characters, Kotori Koiwai, in my opinion, is the cutest and most unique of all yet all of them also participate in the full performance. The first opening theme song came to “Nanairo Biyori” by nano.RIPE which one of my personal favorite Japanese bands. The ending theme song, “Non Non Biyori,” which performed by all the voice actress from all the heroines is one of that seems peace yet it’s like a day that ends yet you waiting for tomorrow.

While the cast just focuses on four girls of different ages, it’s not one that needs to be considered. Renge Miyauchi is indeed the most interesting of all and the most focused of several specific stories. This character is also one of the most popular characters on the internet and you certainly always see this character in GIF pictures. She has a brilliant and the most solid yet flat facial expressions I’ve ever seen. With “Nyanpasu!” As her daily catchphrase, this character is no doubt one of the most unique of all which means there is no reason to like this character. Please, don’t swat me. There is Hotaru Ichijou which can be said to be so contradictory to her physicality and age, as one of the fifth graders. She’s kinda one of the most mature characters of all characters apart from Komari and Natsumi as her seniors of Hotaru, she has a feeling towards Komari which makes her always amazed at her being a senior. Natsumi is the younger sister of Komari which she is taller than her sister. Her lazy characteristics make him a character which contradicts to her age while Komari is the older of the four characters. She is always ashamed of her little, where her age is growing up, she has done various carelessness. As all supporting characters support these characters, the rest, there are no male characters except Suguru Koshigaya, Komari and Natsumi’s brother which I never found he’s talking at all even MyAnimeList or other anime database websites don’t show who the voice actor is from this character.

This is one of the suitable anime to be enjoyed in a short time or in a mood when you are at the top of laziness. The entire episode isn’t like the other slice of life anime which I found forgettable. Unlike “Non Non Biyori,” every episode I can watch over and over again even though I know what the story is. The pace is a bit slow and as I said, it would be better if you watch it at the right time. Each jokes lands on me with just some chuckles as if this anime is touching you. When you have too much drama, trouble, stress, or whatever, this anime becomes a hell of a drug three times a day in the morning, afternoon and night before going to bed.

“Non Non Biyori” is not one of the best anime ever, but when talking about a slice of life with a so peaceful theme, this anime is the best recommendation. It’s so hard to believe that many people still don’t understand how this anime or slice of life works where everybody still complains about the plot or no characters development. Some people I could also reply to because this is not the genre they enjoy. “Non Non Biyori” is a pure innocent show that can be watched many times. Various characters which are full of contradictions both physical and characteristic and supporting cast are partially unique, this anime is in a perfect tone, an anime that makes you like the theme, the background, the music, even the characters. What an anime, what a lovely anime.

Coogg's avatar
May 25, 2017

I'm not really sure why this show is so good, as it has a very basic concept and in theory sounds kind of boring. But make no mistake, this is a beautiful, laugh-out-loud anime. Non Non Biyori is the kind of anime that you watch after a bad day and it instantly calms you down. There's zero drama, romance (unless you count Haruno's crush on Koma-chan) or violence, and the plot relies almost completely on character interactions.

Story (8/10)

I thought that Non Non Biyori's almost complete lack of a plot would be a huge turn off for me. However, the story flows beautifully and works very well in the seting. The only negative is that the pacing is very slow, and while that usually works well, it can at times feel stilted.

Animation (10/10)

The animation is absolutely gorgeous. The character designs are very unique and each character is rendered beautifully. The backrounds are also stunning. As it's set in the Japanese countryside, there's a lot of beautiful nature and animals.

Sound (10/10)

The music always fits the tone of the story and is very pretty. Renge's tune with the recorder is absolutely delightful and is still stuck in my head. The voice cast is also very talented, and each actor really embodies the personality of their character.

Characters (10/10)

As the show doesn't have much of an overarching plot, the characters are the most important part of this anime. And they're wonderful. I love every single main character, from the mature Haruna, to Komari who wishes she was more mature, to the carefree Natsumi, and especially the adorable Renge! Seriously, Renge is the best character ever; if all the other characters sucked (which they don't) I would still give them a 10/10 because Renge is so awesome.

Overall (9.5/10)

This is a beautifull anime that's very calm and relaxing. If you're into action and drama and romance, then this anime probably isn't for you. That being said, I love action and adventure anime, so you really don't have any excuse. Anyways, watch this, you won't be sorry.