Noir

Add review
Galadriel's avatar
Oct 30, 2009

Noir

Plot: "Mireille Bouqet has become a reputable assassin working in France. However, all changes after she meets Kirika, a mysterious young girl who knows nothing about her past but possesses killing skills that dwarf hers. Further intrigue unfolds as both characters explore their shadowy past and come to a head with a clandestine organization that seeks to control destiny itself." (site synopsis)

Story: Noir started as the first project of Bee Train studio, exploring the girls with guns theme, a theme that spawned over 3 adaptations, made by the same studio, with many similarities in all aspects but different presentations. Somehow these projects were clearly overlooked since the projects were executed quite well in many aspects, but I have to agree that the aspect that lacks several stuff is indeed the story development. The show starts with introducing the two main protagonists, both of them being females (infact the 3 adaptations only feature main female leads which creates a shoujo-ai subplot that does not have any important role during the whole show, nothing lesbolicious that’s for sure). Mireille Bouquet is a professional assassin leading a comfortable life, the life of a lone wolf, taking different tasks from different clients and making a living over these issues. Her history is covered in mystery since her parents were murdered without a certain reason and it seems that part of her memory is also in fog, she can’t remember several things about her past. That is until she meets a girl named Kirika Yumura, a high-school girl that contacted Mireille with a strange message. Later Mireille receives the task of murdering Kirika however while she attempts to do so, she gets involved in another battle that was targeting this time both of them. Mireille witnesses a spectaculous yet gory show given by Kirika which had some extraordinary gun skills and absolutely no remorse whenever she killed something, making her the equivalent of a robot out of control with no emotions. After Mireille and Kirika managed to get to know stuff about eachother, they decided to form a team and discover they real identity and to uncover the lost memories. From here on the show gets an episodic aspect, since both heroines get caught into the schemes of an organization called The Soldats, which kept sending assassins to kill both of them, or more like to test them. The partnership between Mireille and Kirika is codenamed Noir (which means black in French) a notorious name in the underworld. From the beginning it was easy to realize that between Mireille and Kirika there is a certain connection even though it is not clearly revealed, but the one thing that both of them reacted to was a strange clock carried by Kirika. The sound that the clock made started to make Mireille to remember certain scenes about her past. Nevertheless a deal was made when the partnership was created, Mireille promised Kirika that she will help her explore her past however when she discovers it, she will have to kill her (quote: "You know what i do to make a living. You know that i cannot let you live." "I understand that." "After you find out who you realy are i will kill you." "I cant wait for that moment." – you really got to be insane to accept such a thing, but to happy too? Lol kinda sick if you ask me). The story of this show proves to be like a chain of experiences for both main leads, building up their strength and their skills for a certain battle. The waves sent by The Soldats had only one purpose, to train and test their skills in combat so that they can be prepared for a certain obstacle. Things start to get even more complicated once a girl named Chloe enters in the picture claiming that the duo Kirika and Mireille created is not the real Noir adding that she herself is a part of Noir too. Well this is all I can say about it, the story is kinda slow-paced developing in slow motion but like they say “slowly but surely” it will reach a culminant point. Usually the works of Bee Train focuses a lot on past issues, presenting characters that lost their memories and also developing a fantasy aspect as well which seems to have some references as well.

Animation and Sound: Well we talk about a show produced at the beginning of the third millennium, not a recent one, so of course the animation quality might be a little bit outdated however one cannot deny that the directing and art-style is inferior. Amazingly, a 2001 can pull a spectacular character choreography with cool action sequences and nice use of gun fire, this is how a true assassin show should be like and I have to admit that most of them share the aspects that I mentioned. Soundwise this anime is also amazing, featuring soundtracks created by a very popular Japanese composer called Yuki Kajiura. The opening and ending song themes are not that great but the background songs such as Canta Per Me or Salva Nos who follow the action sequences are very enjoyable.

Characters: Well talking about this anime, it has a nice character development, more and more characters show up and reveal their past and also the role that they will play in the future.In terms of characters this anime is way above average. Only three characters play a more important role in this show. Mireille is like a mother figure of the show, possessing both assassin skills but also the skills of a normal woman as well. Kirika on the other hand has better skills when it comes to using guns but she is a social outcast, because other than her assassin nature she pretty much fails in other mundane issues. Cloe, same like Kirika, at the beginning it gave a feeling of emptiness and darkness hidden within her cloak, however a character that has an important role until the end, being something like a catalist of the other two main leads.

Overall: Some people may say that this anime is rather confusing and weird in terms of story but i wana mention that stuff get realy simple around the ending, understandable at least.It was very enjoying since i havent seen many animes with this mixture of tags, cant call it a masterpiece but Noir has a place of its own.It has scenes filled with action and turns of events, never a boring moment, and always coming up with more and more surprizing stuff reaching a culminant point in the end.In other words it worths watching.

~Enjoy and Cya Around~

9.5/10 story
7.5/10 animation
9.3/10 overall
MugenNeS's avatar
Dec 3, 2011

This anime, in my humble opinion deserves a perfect 10 and here's why.

Story: Slow paced, but not in a boring way. The way the story unfolds for the characters is actually something that re-inspired me to write once again. I was literally blown away by the characterization builds. Couldn't have done a better job myself to be honest. Normally in an anime you get some form of a cheesy ending but not in this one. Noir brings something to the table that I firmly believe many anime need to follow and use.

Animation: Yes it gets a ten. Well drawn action sequences that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Sound: In a word, priceless. Crystal clear without the annoying wanna be ambiant sounds that you'd normally hear in anime.

Characters: I started speaking a bit about this in story, so I'll get a tad bit deeper without spoiling anything for you. Besides being well drawn out and such, each characters story brought something to the table. Even the minor characters storylines were played out perfectly.

Overall: No arguing, if you haven't watched this yet smack yourself in the face really hard then go watch or find someone who has the dvd's and ask them to lend it to you. A must have if you're a collector, the box art is absolutely beautiful. So yeah it's a MUST watch for you anime fan boys and girls out there.

spikespiegel1632's avatar
Aug 30, 2011

Yes im probably went a little crazy with the 10's but i honestly feel this is one of the best anime's I have seen as far as series goes. This is an anime for those of us who enjoy our stories slow, allowing us to get to know our characters and get attached to them. Throw in some awesome action scenes and some of the best music in an anime and you got a perfect series. For some people this series will be to slow for you but i encourage you to just keep watching it and by the end of the series you are going to want to watch it again. The ending is usually one of things that bothers me about a lot of animes but in this one the ending is just perfect.

romantica12's avatar
Mar 15, 2012

Alright, since this is my first review, I can give this a shot.

Okay, what I think of this anime is that it is fantastic; I love the storyline, characters, and music as well.

Seems like it is a James Bond-like anime to say for sure, there is a main character named Kirika Yuumura.

At the beginning of the series, she loses her memories, she meets a woman named Mireille Bouquet, during the series they take a religious journey to help Kirika find her memories.

In the mid-episodes, they meet yet, another assassin named Chloe.

Chloe claims to be "The True Noir"; telling Mireille that she and Kirika are meant to be Noir together.

Angered and flustured by this comment, Mireille lashes out that Chloe is insane about the ancient fate, but soon, as Chloe tells her that she is the daughter of the soldats, she finally realizes why.

Later in the series, Kirika gets killed by Chloe from the barrel of her gun; causing her to remember who she truly was before she lost her memories.

Feeling contented by the fate chosen, Chloe tells Mireille who killed her family; saying that she had witnessed it from her own two eyes, assumingly she was a child then and remembers it quite clearly just to taunt her out of it.

Angered by Chloe's taunts to remember, Kirika runs off and headed towards the cemetary, killing the soldats as a result.

Chloe and Dark Kirika

As the final result, Kirika turns back into the person she once was, journeying herself to Corisca--to find the "mistress Altena" Chloe has mentioned before and to be reunited with them.

Altena, Mireille, Kirika and Chloe

Later in the manor, Kirika--the killer, starts to asks questions about who she is.

Altena answers that she once lived here in Corsica, where the children had persished and suffered many obstacles and had left to die in the wilderness.

Chloe, howvever, seems to show jealousy towards the closeness of Altena and Kirika's relationship.

Later on, Kirika roams throughout the darkest parts of the manor, encountering bloodly swords and chain shackles.

She says that the room smelt of blood, Chloe appears, replying that she is right.

Kirika then, asks that why had the people suffered and that Corsica is her home, (In which, the compassionate, human side of Kirika is reaching out to Chloe.)

The rest I pefer not to say, in which it might spoil the plot for those of you who want to watch it.

Dark Kirika and ChloeDark Kirika and Chloe

Rbastid's avatar
Dec 26, 2016

Generally I’ve been lucky when it comes to series I’ve previously watched, but never got around to reviewing. Trigun, X and FLCL are just a few and they’re all worth the time to rewatch a second, third or fourth time (I’ve actually viewed FLCL about fifty times through.) This time things aren’t so bright, as 10 hours of Noir is nothing to look forward to.

Story 5/10

Just from previous films and TV shows before it, you would think "Assassin" based series would be interesting. No nonsense guns for hire, taking out evil doers and spending their free time living the lavish life that comes with big dollar hits. Somehow Noir takes that seemingly cool world and turns it into a mundane day job where it makes the viewer feel like they are the one clocking in nine to five.

The sad part is that somewhere in that A-B-C pattern of every episode is a decent plot that never reached it’s full potential. (A plot that seems as if it may have inspired the current TV show Blindspot.)

Mireille Bouquet is an assassin who one days comes across a young girl, Kirika, who possesses a pocket watch that belonged to her (Mireille’s) father (And me being the petty person I am found it annoying this small pocket watch was able to contain the mechanics for a watch and an for music playing!) Being that Kirika suffers from amnesia she is no help in identifying how she came to have the pocket watch, therefore Mireille decides it’s in her best interest to team up with the young girl, in order for them both to solve their own mystery, but she has one caveat, when their task is complete she will have to kill Kirika, because no one can know the identity of an assassin and live to pass the information on to others.

Unfortunatly that plot encompasses just a few brief seconds over the first few episodes, both of which focus on Mireille and Kirika being the targets of assassins, and their discovery that those assassins may have been hired by a group called the Soldats, a name that has a connection to Mireille’s slain parents. It’s not until episode ten, and the arrival of the third assassin Chloe, that the story of the Soldats and the true backstory of Noir starts to unfold.

From that point on most of the episodes either deal with Mireille’s family and their new rivalry with Chloe, unsure if she’s there to kill them or protect them.  Eventually this leads to the unveiling of what Noir really is, a team of two killers, groomed since childhood, to become an assassination team for the Soldats, though now the three vying for the role have to be whittled down to two.

Where as many anime series seem to get cut short at the thirteen episode mark, Noir appears to have been given an initial twenty six episode run, while really only having enough for those thirteen episodes. They follow that up by ending on somewhat of a cliff hanger and the ability to build a story around a more direct Noir versus the Soldats story line. When they stuck to episodes focusing on the main plot they were excellent, but it’s just too bad that they decided to spend more time on the brainless assassination mission episodes.

Animation 4/10

The animation feels like they got three completed different groups of people to complete the work, one good, one okay and one awful.

The background plates are all drawn and colored very nicely. While there is nothing really eye catching about them, they are still all created with great detail and shaded by someone who cared to look at the scenes with the lens of a cinematographer.

Somewhere in the middle is the body animation. The characters aren’t the best when it comes to proportions or realism, but when they perform actions you can see where those particular animators shine.

Now here comes the downside of the series’ animation, the heads. While not only completely out of proportion for a majority of the series, they look as if they were pulled from old episodes of Ranma 1/2 or Kimagure Orange Road, where every character had the face of a baby, drawn with the most simplistic look possible. Our few main characters (Mirielle, Kirk, Chloe and Altena) all look like they are from a completely different world than those minor characters in the series.

One interesting choice made in the animation department was the use of blood. Dozens of people are killed, thousands of bullets are shot and violence is in no short supply, but the only blood throughout the whole show comes from Mirielle getting a few grazing wounds from gun shots, and even then it’s barely a drip.

As a whole, while the animation was for the most part solid, there was never anything that really made me stand up and shout. Even for the time period it was far behind other series in almost every aspect.

Sound 6/10

The music in Noir is so incredibly frustrating, and oddly it’s not because it’s bad but because it’s good. The majority of the music is composed by Yuki Kajiura. Her style, also used to great effect in .Hack//Sign, is so perfect for the tone and nature of this series. Most notable is the song Canta per me, which adds the beautiful singing of Yuriko Kaida to Kajiiura’s orchestration.

The frustration comes from the same two or three songs being used repeatedly throughout the entire series, often at the same time stamp in each episode. The work is so good I don’t hate hearing the songs, but I’d love to hear more of it, both in variety of song and which sections of the songs are played. As the series goes on you may hear another great tune every few episodes, but with a twenty six episode long series it’s just too much repetition. If I were to rate the series music, as if I just listened to it on a CD, I’d have to give it a solid nine, but in a series music can’t only be judged for the song alone.

While I’m not crazy about the opening and closing songs, they are standard anime fare when it comes to those things. The opening track does actually fit perfectly with the series, as it sounds as if it could fit in as a James Bond theme.

The voice acting in the series is on the better side of decent. While both of our main actresses are pros at what they do, I feel the English producers saw Monica Rial’s (Kirkia) work in Excel Saga and thought “Yeah let’s have the feel of this character be more brainless than youthful.”

On the other hand the minor characters fall short, not in their V.O. artist’s ability, but in the choice of voice style. The series focuses mainly around southern France and Italy, but the accents never work. Most characters, no matter where they reside from, sound either Eastern European or American. They needed to decide to go with accents, or not, instead of having two characters from the same country sound like they’re from opposite ends of the globe.

Characters 4/10

As with many girls with guns and assassins series, the characters are extremely boring, unrefined and often predictable, Noir makes sure to keep that standard alive.

The character who can most be described as the number one, a film term for most prominent actor, is Mireille Bouquet. Her main goal, like the goal in ten thousand movies before it, is revenge over the murder of her parents. She tries to be tough as nails, but Kirika has broken though and become a small part of her life, almost as if she was her only family.

The number two character, who serves as both her partner and her possible final target, is Kirika Yumura. Kirk suffers from amnesia, waking up to find an outfit, an idea card and the ability to be a top class assassin. Like when used in most series, amnesia here feels like a crutch for not wanting to, or being able to, write a decent back story. Like Mireille she starts to grow slightly as a character towards the end, worried what she’ll become if she finds out the truth about her purpose in life.

The only other character who plays prominently in the series is Chloe. She’s also pretty terribly written, a cliche mysterious assassin with abilities that far surpass our other two …heroes I guess we’d call them. She claims to be the real second member of Noir, along with Kirika and will make sure they are the pair that performances the ritual.

Pretty much everyone else in the series is a one off character, either their for a specific assassination mission or to drop a clue about the Soldats or Kirika’s past.

Overall 4/10

Noir was a decent five or six episode OVA stuck within a terrible twenty six episode procedural. Every episode played out the same way, with few even touching on the overall plot. Even in the end it feels as if they completely forgot about what they were aiming for and just pieced together some random gun fights to end things.

A shorter series, focusing on Mireille’s rise as an assassin, finding Kirika’s memory or an uncovering of the Soldats would probably been much better than what essentially was Golgo 13 with ladies.