Noblesse: Awakening - Reviews

CrystalD's avatar
Feb 15, 2016

I had no idea what to expect from this as I had never heard of Noblesse before, but I was not disappointed. It seems more of a prologue or a first episode to a 12-episode run, and if the episode number 0 is anything to go by, more episodes will follow.

A fair warning to those of you who've never read the manhwa, or heard of Noblesse, don't listen to the people claiming this is not worth watching - be your own judge on that. I don't know how 'amazing' the webtoon is, or how incomplete the story as a whole is unless you've read it, but this OVA? It's a complete experience by itself and doesn't require you to know any background info.

Who knows, maybe it feels incomplete or rushed if you know the whole story - the whole 'noblesse universe' - but personally? I didn't feel any of that. The story and characters are pretty self explanatory and you'll know what's happening and why the whole time.

If this is really the result of a summary from 80-ish chapters of the webtoon, it should be praised. To get this kind of quality from that much material is not easy.

P.S. And yes, I am a critic by heart. If I were to place Noblesse in my top anime list, it wouldn't even scratch the top 100 list. I'm quite sure it'd fall somewhere in the range of top 250-300. Regardless, Noblesse is definitely worth watching especially since it's only 30 minutes long which means you won't really spend any time on it... The short length is also its greatest downside but I'm hopeful that we'll get more OVAs or maybe even a full-blown season later on.

-CrtlC

casandra29's avatar
Feb 5, 2016

This OVA was done pretty decently. I wasn't expecting much but for what it was it delivered well. I felt fulfilled when I finished with it and thats really all that I ask for. The story is similar to the beginning of the webtoon but they crunch things together for time factor reasons I imagine. However, I think it would work as a excellent pusher of the webtoon (now if the webtoon is worth it is another matter and not really important to reviewing the OVA.)

The animation was actually pretty good. I had no issues with it at all. I saw no mistakes in character movements like that.

The sound was excellent. Though my tastes may be different than yours. The voice actors did a great job and I really enjoyed the opening song. It's been a while since I liked a opener this much. If your not a big fan of instrumentals though your probably won't like it as much as I do.

The characters are what make the story and they portrayed Rai and and M - 21 pretty well considering the time constraints. I feel that Frankenstien lost some of his mysterious air that he has in the beginning of the webtoon but it's understandable they still give you a hint to the fact that there is more to him when he defeats the girl he is fighting from that organization.

My favorite character other than M-21 is Han Shinwoo in the webtoon and although pretty abreviated they got his personality and looks down pretty well. It's been a while so I cannot remember it all extremely well, but it feels like he played a bigger part in the opening arc in the webtoon than he did in this OVA. That's actually part of what turned me off about the webtoon because I ended up liking him a lot as a main character but soon after this arc he is sort of put on the back burner. I don't know if he stays that way, but after watching the OVA. I kinda feel like going and trying out the webtoon again.

Overall I'd suggest it maybe as a precurser to the webtoon. Stand alone it may be a bit difficult to just leave it as is and still be satisfied. However, that is the case with a lot of OVA's, and it was enjoyable. So I gave it a 7 overall.

animelurv's avatar
Nov 4, 2019

I don't mind this adapton to much, i think it's wort the watch. They did good with the main plot and the animaton. I've seen worse. The biggest problems i have with this is how they shoved like 100 pages of manga into a 30 minutes episode, and in doing so they lost so much of what the original story actualy is, the humor, the anticipaton, the relationships between the caraters is completley lost. And if they're going to continue this show, they either have to start anew or continue in the same style of glossing over all the small details that i love aboudt the manga.

Chu66u6's avatar
Jan 7, 2019

Absolutely loved this and it’s prequel. Haven’t seen the manhwa, but that didn’t hinder on my experience as the storyline, though full of intrigue, was easy enough to follow. The fight scenes were particularly spectacular, especially in the prequel.

On a side note, I couldn’t help but find some major similarities to the main character Raizel and that of Kaname from anime Vampire Knight. A favourite character I might add.

It wouldn’t surprise me if this gets the green light for a full series.

Kaname, Vampire Knight.

RissaKilljoy's avatar
Jun 21, 2018

I finally found the first OVA of Noblesse! My favorite comic series!!! It was amazing! Granted, a little bit of the info and storyline was incorrect or skipped, BUT STILL!!! I recommend it to any and every Noblesse fan! Even to those just looking for something to watch! It's truly amazing! The subtitles weren't hard to read, and the animation was really quite smooth! 10/10! My new favorite animation, hahaha! Definitely, recommend this to everyone! :D