No Guns Life

Add review
Funstuff13's avatar
Mar 1, 2020

For an anime with a guy that has a gun for a head I was expecting it to be a little more "out there." However the show takes itself serisouly a little too serisouly sometimes, but I like that. It reminds me of old detective shows when it's all about "not losing yourself to the misery of world." However there are comedic moments with good timing as to not disrupt the serisous plot, but rather give the viewer a moment of solace away from the gritty themes of the show.

Juzo, our leading man with the gun head is a harden ex-soldier and the epsiodes tend to start with him brooding about how he got in a certain situation or about some corporate overlord at his throat. Regardless on what your thoughts are on narration I think it works here, and is a nice nod to old detective shows. The other main characters, Mary and Tetsuro are a nice juxtaposition to the more stotic Juzo. I won't spoil these characters as it's fun getting to know them and their little qwerks.

I love the openng "MOTOR CITY" by Kenichi Asai. It's a great song to get me pumped up for the episode. It doesn't necessarily match the tone of the overall show though. Most of the background music is akin to something you might hear in a smokey bar or the office of a journalist from an old black and white film.

The animation is pretty wonderful. I'm tempted to say it's seamless blends 3D and 2D, but there are a fews moments that look a bit awkward. For the most part it's brilliant.

I recommend this anime if you like serisous themes, characters with personality, and a classic noir detective story.

7.8/10 overall
Hcreviston's avatar
Nov 15, 2019

Once you become used to seeing his as a gun and start understanding why it's not a horrible show.  Not my favorite type of anime. Animation done well though.