Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion - Reviews

Alt title: Shinseiki Evangelion: The End of Evangelion

vivafruit's avatar
Jul 25, 2007

The story starts in a fairly disorienting manner and then moves quickly from there. After about 20 minutes of confusion, however, the anime soon finds its feet and I began to be able to follow what was going on. At around 40 minutes in I was actually somewhat interested... and then, the anime falls apart under its own philosophical weight. Apparently, the creators of this anime thought that they could substitute all semblences of plot with random scenes that supposedly have symbolic meaning. A quote from Roger Ebert's movie glossary comes to mind: "If you have to ask what it symbolizes, it didnt."

I have seen this movie several times, and still cannot enjoy the film one iota. I do not believe that it is because I didn't "get" the film; I believe that there is quite simply nothing to get. Certain Neon Genesis Evangelion fanboys have gotten a huge kick out of analyzing the show and attempting to fabricate some sort of interpretation of the events that transpire, but in my opinion this is a futile endeavor. The shows plot was deliberately made incomprehensible for incomprehensibilitys sake; there is no meaning to the show other than to have no meaning whatsoever.

The difference between this film and other virtually indecipherable anime (see: Cat Soup, Paprika) is that End of Evangelion pretentiously demands interpretation.There is nothing to entertain the viewer beyond the movie's pompous symbolism, and this is the film's downfall.

Generally, the animation is pretty damn good. Because of the film's obviously larger budget, End of Evangelion improves on the excellent original character designs with greatly improved fluidity and backgrounds. A sequence near the end, where iridescent crosses spring from Earth, is one of the nicer pieces of eye candy that I have seen. Another highlight is Asuka's central fight midway through the show, which oozes with perfectly stylized violence.

The awesome animation is marred, however, by two dreadfully awful sequences. In one scene, the "anime" is not animated at all. Instead, a person with a low budget camcorder randomly wanders around town, filming things like empty movie theatres. This comes as quite a shock midway through and manages to come across as exceedingly ugly. Many people I have spoke with have tried to defend the scene by citing its symbolic meaning, but all of them have given me different answers. Ultimately, the sequence is a jarring break from the continuity of the animation, and definitely hurts both the show's pacing and overall video quality.

In another scene, there is a horrendously long sequence in which thousands of still frames are flashed across the screen at a mind-numbing rate. Never before have I had to sit through such an obviously expensive, thoroughly pointless, and horrifically painful section in anime.

In general, I found the sound to be pretty much flawless. The music does a pretty good job of setting the mood even as the story is falling apart, and voice acting is still excellent. Sound effects, particularly in Asukas battle, are nicely done.

Some may disagree, but I thought the original characters of Evangelion were excellent. All of them were almost perfectly imperfect, and as a result managed to capture some of the darkest parts of the human soul. While none of the characters were particularly likeable, every single one was captivating in their infinite flaws.These promising characters, however, are pretty much destroyed in the treadmill of an awful story. By the end of the show, just about every single individual has lost his or her humanity; their actions no longer reflect any semblence of logic or compassion. Forget character development - this is an anime about action figures.Because of this, what was arguably Neon Genesis Evangelions greatest strength becomes End of Evangelions biggest fault.

Overall

I went into this anime genuinely hoping that at last I would find a little closure to Evangelion. Instead, I got this. Deliberately plotless, the creators apparantly assumed that they could pass off mindless and pointless scenes under the pretense of "art." A huge budget is wasted, a good storyline is desecrated, and one of the most promising animes of 1997 is put to shame. Pretentious and disappointing, End of Evangelion is certainly down there among some of the worst anime that I have seen.

8.5/10 sound
3.5/10 overall
metalheadotaku666's avatar
Jun 25, 2014

Warning: May Contain Spoilers!!

The proper ending to the anime series that does address plot points mentioned in the show unlike the original two episode ending.  The plot points addressed include the eva series, it is mentioned but never shown in the series, and the Adam's embryo which Gendo received from Kaji.  He to merge himself and Adam(Adam's soul was carried by Kaworu) with Rei III (the vessel for Lilith's soul) to do a forbidden fusion (fusing two seeds of life).  And not to mention some imagery in the opening is finally used like Unit 01 with the wings of light, and you finally figure out what that weird symbol is to. However I am not gonna explain everything for you but this might help out some people.

I love how the movie stays just as dark as the original series (if not darker).  Asuka finally pilots Unit 02 again only to be devastatingly defeated and killed by the mass production evas (which have all have Kaworu dummy plugs). Not to mention the imagery is just so bizarre.

And many people thought the ending of this movie was crappy but I actually love it because I don't think should happy, I liked how it ended lukewarm and I mean people criticizing Shinji's crying at the end just need to realize he just went through a lot of stuff that if happened to someone in real life their brain would probably have exploded when they saw the giant Rei.

melinakk's avatar
May 3, 2020

fuck man, where do i begin? every time i think about this it makes me want to fuckn cry. i think both ending were beautiful, showing two different ways shinjis life could have ended up was amazing, it gave me so many perspectives to look down upon this show. i would understand why alot of people didn't like the original series's ending, but i think it was perfect. leaving us with so many questions was so like evangelion, it left such a greater impact on me, if they ended it with all the questions answered i dont think it would've imprinted on me like it did. but we aint here to talk about the series. the movie is probably my favourite ending out if the two. showing how shinji rejected the human whatever project gives me such an ominous and terrifying feeling that i adore! i think it definitely portrays shinji and how his mind works. shinjis confidence has never been high, the show shows us the process of him growing as a human, at the end the show puts him to the test, and basically quizzes him on the self growth he has had, the movie shows us that he failed the quiz. i think this is beautiful because it really brings us down to earth and reminds us that shinji is mearly a human, he fails too. he isn't immune to failure. him failing to accept his fate destroys him even more. the final scene of the film was what i fucking love to see, a blunt ending of asuka roasting his ass, it really shows us how shiji couldve or had turned out. i definitely recommend this.

noname0302's avatar
Oct 22, 2015

They went so deep they got lost in the dark.

So. I didnt like the series too much(not a mecha/whimpy character fan), but it was OK, not counting the disgrace of an ending it had. I had a lot of second thoughts(and third and forth and so on) about watching the replacement ending.

To my surprize it actually starts out decent, a lot of action, strong pictures, darkness. Some scenes are among the most poweful ones in existence. And now the sad, confusing part:

But nothing makes sense. Its just a random slideshow of pictures so artistic that I now need a few shots of Jagermeister to clear the bullshit out of my head.

And thats all that is to it. The whole ending is just an incoherent mess of a slideshow and any explanation is just guessing. They wanted to make it memorable. They did. You see, two types of endings are memorable: the really good ones(FMAB, Code Geass) and the really bad ones(Berserk...). If the second part of the movie actually gave us an explanation and they went for something simpler instead of the grandiose chaos we got, it would have been good. They actually got my hopes up after the first 45 minutes. But instead they went on an acid trip. The second part of to movie is on par with the horrible last episodes of the series.

I know that Evangelion is considered general culture when it comes to anime, but excluding the talent they had to orchestrate separate scenes from it, the whole thing is a mess. And the ending is painful. We basically get a sad-ish ending, but who the hell knows.

General culture or not, I urge people to stay away from the Evangelion series. Even if you like the mecha genre. The psychology is overextended(overrated) and boring, the story is a mess and the ending is just a waste of time.

Dont watch it. You have been warned!

6.5/10 sound
3.5/10 overall
pinkarray's avatar
May 28, 2015

OKay, I am an Asuka fan and I am here to complain about Asuka and how she got pushed to the sidelines. She is my favorite character and I don't like what they did to her. It was too torturous, they ruined her eye and her Eva REALLY BADLY and Shinji just got even more hateful by going crazy, crying, and even choking her at the end (gladly, she didn't die).

I do not get the hype for this. The movie is boring. Asuka is what made the series better, I would've got bored and I did skip the episodes if she wasn't in them. So, I guess I do not get this movie or maybe I have to watch the series again.

So, now we got to suffer an hour of Shinji's pansy butt. Like in the series, he did get more likable towards the end when we learn about his past. I did like Misato more, too. Rei had a more decent ark, but I don't like the end of the world thing at the end. No one else I really could care much for.

This movie was just creepy and violent. I was thinking that this would be a great film but it was just very over-hyped. This movie just had me screaming at the computer through. The characters are quite different, Asuka is worrying about her mother and I was wondering if like I heard, it may be because her mother's soul was there or she was just relying on her to try her best to get through this hard battle but she had a really evil face on sometimes during the battle, I understand that this type of facial expression was new for its time but it still looked too evil. Misato seemed to have been in love with Shinji, she might've been this way in the series, too. And I don't understand Rei's arc of being above the world while it was destroyed.

I also did not like the new facial expressions for Asuka representing the scenes in the anime like when she wakes Shinji up, she's now more scary and hateful than she was likable and funny.

I also do not like the live-action combination in this, even though it did have a good message about reality in dreams.

The jazzy song at the end of the first half was okay but it was smoother than Fly Me To The Moon.

Gladly, it did not have Hikari in it but it still could do better than this.