NEKOPARA TV - Reviews

Etue's avatar
Mar 26, 2020

This show is basically what it says on the package. It's a slice of life show who's gimmick is that it's cute girls are all cat human hybrids with cat mannerisms. The anime skimps over some things that might not be clear to everyone. An obvious plot point is that the cat girls grow up much faster than human girls. While it's not outright stated it's made pretty clear at the start though it bares stateing here as it can leave some less inclinced to grasp such things in the dark otherwise.

The series is to some extent very setting or world based as most of the series focusses on these girls having to adapt to society with their cat quirks while also growing up quicker than normal humans. All of this is done in a lighthearted manner. The girls quirks generally are used for humour while also serving as something important to the plot. At the same time as a series which originally was fanservice orientated as an (erotic) visual novel this series certainly doesn't shy away of portraying it's characters in an alluring manner with the exception of one character.

The series characters are largely from it's source material all mostly build upon established archtypes. The main duo of course are the series duo of mascots the energetic but clumsy and duncy Chocolate and not-quite-kuudere mostly stoic Vanilla. However the other original cat-girls get episodes focussed on them as well or rather they share they episodes with their partner cat as all the cat girls are conveniently paired up just like Chocolate and Vanilla. The additional character added to the series serves as a addition that ends up pretty much leading the overarching plot of this adaptation. While not stagnant at the same time she does function as a plot device of sort. This is not to say this series as a strong overarching story as most of the episodes are either two parters or entirely episodic and able to be watched out of order. Of course at first this is less the case.

Sound & Animation

Now for the animation I have no complaints. The series does quite well with it's budget. The ending theme is a charming collage while the voice acting all is solid if unremarkable. It has to be said to fans of the series that the voice actors have changed from the games.

Conclusion

This series is a fan service filled slice of life that simply does nothing wrong for what it is.  It's largely unremarkable other than the setting. While it's cast is certainly fun it doesn't really end up being all that memorable of an experience in watching. The final episode as also very much a non-ending kind of feeling episode.

waszner13's avatar
Mar 29, 2020

They took out most of what was fun about the original VN. Obviously they took out the H parts, but they also toned down the ecchi aspect a lot, took out all the drama and character development, and just made some of the characters' funny running gags and did them way too many times and in forced situations, so the comedic moments also fell flat on their face more often than not. Overall resulting in a pretty boring show. I would just recommend to play the VN instead, even if you're not interested in the H scenes (just play the censored version in that case).

TLDR: If you've played the Visual Novel, I would not recommend this. In my opinion, it's just plain worse. If you haven't played the VN, just play that instead.

KuroNeko8997's avatar
Jun 6, 2020

So, its basicllly a bakery with cat girls as waitresses,  the story is about a young man that opens up his own bakery with his adorable catgirls. I liked all the characters, but i like Coconut, Cinnamon and chocola the most! we see the develpment of mainly chocola and vanilla as they work in the bakery. I loved the fact that the other 4 catgirl also began to work in the bakery. the combination of adorable catgirl in an maid uniform is the cutest i have ever seen! and the two 2 OVA´s it has are also amazing. This anime is one of if not my most favorite anime of all time! We have a cute slice of life anime with a relative big story and all sorts of daily life situation. and the masterpiece of NEKOPARA for me are the  the charactars, to be exactly, the cutest and most adorable catgirls i have ever seen in my life! As a person that likes cats in generall, and with the combination of cats and cute anime girls, its an PERFEKT anime for me! and it also gets a big + from me, because its has relative long episodes. I can recommend it to everyone that looks for a cute and funny slice of life anime with cute neko girls!! Coconut best Waifu!!!

krofire's avatar
Mar 30, 2022

What happens if you cross “Is the Order a Rabbit?” with “Cat Planet Cuties”? You end up with Felix Film’s 2020 comedy show “Nekopara” (Cat Paradise). The “paradise” is actually a café where all the staff (apart from the chef/owner) are Cat Girls. That is pretty much it - as there is little in the way of plot. The main thrust of the story dwells upon a homeless stray kitten who follows one of the girls home one day. Other than that, it propels itself along based mainly on being extremely cute. The Cat Girls are all owned by a girl called Shigure who is the sister of the Cafe’s owner Kashou Minaduki. It all sounds pretty wholesome and the show could largely be confused with a children’s cartoon at times. However, the Cat Girl anime/manga/game phenomena sits outside Western cultural conventions. Although superficially family-friendly there are various scenes in which the appearance is more ecchi. One of the Cat Girls, Cinnamon, has a catchphrase “That makes me so wet!” which she seems to say several times per episode. Try explaining that to your kids. This confusing blend of adult eroge and child-friendly imagery makes it hard to place outside of context. Yet this is Japanese anime so it all makes sense. You just have to go with the flow. In this erotic universe it is normal for Shigure to describe her cat-loving feelings with pervy and suggestive overtones.

To make sense of this little slice of Cat Girl heaven you have to realise that the anime was adapted from adult visual gameplay developed for Windows, PS4 and Switch back in 2014. In 2017 a family-friendly anime OVA was also released by Felix Film. A manga serialisation started publication in 2018. Cat Girl universe rules apply: the girls are always young, sexy & horny whilst there are no Cat Boys. How this Cat Girl society works is never disclosed although this anime has an intriguing detail: the Cat Girls need a licence to leave home without their master. So, they are truly chattel yet they display high levels of intellect and education. The little stray kitten appears in the story with a full ability to both talk, read & write. Hence, they are fully sentient sapien creatures with some cat-like attributes. Quite why they are happy without full independence from the human race is not explained. This entire aspect of the cat-universe is something that surely could be explored. We imagine paying good money to watch a story about the rise of the Cat Revolution and resulting civil war. But that will be a different show entirely and not in keeping with the philosophy of Cat Girls. They are simply bunny girls from a different genus. Dress them in maid uniforms and we are in full sexy-kawaii heaven. There is nothing offensive about this. It is all fun, quite funny, yet obviously undemanding. It’s anime chewing gum.