Naruto Shippuden Movie 1

Add review
ThatAnimeSnob's avatar
Apr 29, 2012

This is the fourth Naruto movie, made after the horrible fillers were over and the franchise returned back to being good for awhile. In an attempt to make the old fans return as well as gaining new audience, they poured a lot of money into making both the first dozen episodes of Shippuden, as well as this movie, to look as slick as possible. And indeed, both the series and the movie feel like they are trying to convince you that the show is back on track, better than ever. The characters are older, more powerful, more mature, the stakes are up, the action is better, and the pastures are greener hereon.

They even combined the best elements of the first and second movies (disregarding the third as a complete joke) in an attempt to offer the best possible movie-based plot the setting can offer. Thus we get the team having to escort a young snotty girl with a tragic past (again) and fight their way through villains who want to get their hands on something that will help them rule the world (again). They even went as far as throwing in a vision from the future, where Naruto gets killed and they keep insisting his fate can’t be altered. The first was memorable for the movie gimmick, the second for the weird blend of cultures, but this one is a complete joke. And it’s not even a funny one. You no longer feel like it is the tale of a boy trying to live by and be accepted in a rough world, but a bunch of clowns goofing around in a poor attempt to keep us interested. So yeah, on paper this sounds to be by far the best movie so far… And sadly it ain’t.

Although it looks spectacular and exciting on a superficial level, the directing is bad, many things make no sense, and there are major power level inconsistencies. Just like the second part of the main series, it starts with a bang which promises to be super awesome, only to quickly disappoint you with its juvenile gimmicks and messy storyboard. And here is what I mean in detail.

The first quarter of the movie is nothing but a silly build up without any actual depth. All we see is the villains slowly doing their thing and plotting to kill a priestess. All this time the heroes are not even seen or heard of. When we finally do get to see them, we get the same treatment of what the tv series did. They constantly try to impress us with silly bravado of the type “we are here, better than ever, but still funny and silly occasionally so don’t feel alienated because we are still the same”. And again nothing of importance has happened up until the middle of the movie.

The second part of the film on the other hand is quite amazing in terms of action and dramatic tension. Priestess Shion quickly changes from an apathetic doll to a snotty girl who is feeling depressed for the task that is given to follow all her life. There are side stories like fate that can’t be avoided and obedience that must be followed to the death. And the battles are simply spectacular and even tactical as far as the setting goes. It even has a twist in the end with the demon revealing stuff about his true nature. I must say in terms of superficial entertainment the second half is exceptional and rewards you to the fullest for having to tolerate the most boring first half.

Other than that though the scenario is done on the run and you easily see lots of things that could have been done much better. There is a part for example where someone disguises to look like the priestess to lure the enemy away and yet they make it appear like he used an amazingly hard and forbidden technique to do that. Big deal, they do it all the time in the main series and it isn’t hard or irreversible at all. The evil henchmen in another case lose the fight because they ran out of power and not because they were bested in battle. That makes them feel lame because they were never really strong and the good guys won because they stabbed them in the back while they were defenseless. That is just cheap and mean. Also, they keep on saying how the demon lord will be undefeatable if he ever finds his material body to merge with but they otherwise never seem to care how he was defeated a few decades ago WHILE he was in full power. And as usually, most never heard of such an important event, such as an army of tens of thousands of statues almost taking over the world, even when it happened a few decades ago. Heck, even the statues don’t make much sense since they appear indestructible in the beginning yet are trashed easily towards the end. And the whole prophecy of Naruto getting killed or duty to the death issues are dealt with in a most cheap and childish way for anyone to care. I can go on forever but the storyboard is full of holes.

But in case you disregard all that, Shion is fleshed out nicely for the crummy time she was given and the battles are super cool. Lee and Neji in particular steal the show even if they are cameos in the plot. Because eventually it is still just Naruto doing all the work, being the usual idealistic immature idiot with a golden heart he always was. And yes the ending is once again throwing a Rasengan on the villain’s face and giving his motivational monologue to the emo kid that makes everything feel right. So it is ok as far as action goes but it still leaves a lot to be desired in terms of story.

Larkawolfgirl's avatar
Nov 9, 2009

This movie was really good. This is one of my favorite anime movies ever. It kept the characters in character and made very good characterisation to the new characters. The story was very good. Everything made sense and was displayed very well. The animation was good and the fighting scenes were great. There were no boring parts. You are hooked from the very begining because of the great catcher at the start. It grabs your attention at the start and you can't wait to see how it will end. It also had a very good climax and close.

CaseyJewels's avatar
Apr 7, 2014

I think this is a movie you enjoy more in retrospect, or upon watching multiple times. The beginning scene felt like a cheap trick to draw you in, which pulled me out of the movie more than anything, and the character of Shion didn’t help at all—at least, not the first little while. I did figure there was some sort of reason she was the way she was, and so the farther the movie progressed, the more I grew to understand and like her. Which is why I think this movie would be better the second time around, because then you understand her from the very beginning, instead of finding her annoying.

So, while the beginning of the movie wasn’t that great, I did really enjoy the last half, and the ending was quite intense. Oh, and speaking of the end, make sure to watch the bit after the credits roll, as the movie feels incomplete otherwise.

I really don’t have much else to say about this movie. I did enjoy it, but it also didn’t feel like it was anything special in terms of the show. Maybe because I can’t see how it would fit into the show, unlike the other Naruto movies. The plot is just too big of a scale, and Shippuden has yet to have a spot this movie took fit into.

It’s worth watching at least once, and I could see myself watching it again, down the road.

KittyEmperor's avatar
Feb 4, 2011

It's Naruto so going in I wasn't exactly expecting much and for the most part I was right you get pretty much what you would expect from a Naruto movie.  Didn't really hate and it did have its good points but I didn't overly enjoy it either.  The story some soul of some powerful demon has been freed and wants to conquer the world and the only one who can stop the demon is some priestess in some other land and so it is up to Naruto and gang to ensure the priestess safety and get her to a temple so that she can once again seal the demon's soul.  It's a basic concept that has been done before in other series and in other Naruto as well.  So it wasn't anything new or refreshing, but it was still interesting enough for me watch the entire hour and a half movie.  The animation was overall good.  It had a slightly higher production quality than that of the tv series so it was good but not really anything that special.  Though I will say that the CGI knights and the fire weren't all that great and seemed somewhat out of place.  As for the sound it was okay.  It blended well with the scenes but nothing ever really stood out.  Well for Naruto and the gang you either love them or hate them and as for the new characters they're all pretty standard.  A girl who acts spoiled but thats only to hide her real feelings and a standard bad guy who does nothing new.  Overall it's a pretty standard Naruto film that doesn't do anything new but works with what it has to make a semi-enjoyable experience.

coolmasn's avatar
Jul 15, 2010

Now I know it is very cliche that a Naruto fan is doing a review on something Naruto-based, but I believe my opinion is strong on this movie. Of course, you could easily see other reviews from Naruto haters or people who think Naruto is OK, but I think you could take this review honestly even if I am a Naruto fan, and this is my honest opinion.

The Story for the Naruto Shippuden movie seems sort of like a Naruto filler, oh wait, it sort of is since all the movies have nothing to do with the series. But yes, it is basically a filler, so they are not going to make it crazy interesting and make you so hooked that you can't stop eye-bawling it, but they definitely tried to make the story at least interesting so you are able to watch it. And it definitely caught my eye, I mean, everyone who has seen Naruto before has thought to themselves, "Hmmm, what if Naruto died?" Well, basically the people who are in charge of the Naruto anime thought this to themselves as well, and they put it into the first Shippuden movie. The story is basically Naruto, Sakura, Neji, and Lee are going to protect a priestess who can seal the soul of the world-corrupting Moryo while Moryo has risen and is back to take over the world again. It definitely has an interesting plot to it, and I believe it a lot of people agree with me, but it wasn't portrayed so greatly. Not to where it comes close to the manga as of right now, but the writers certainly tried, and I do acknowledge them, but they should've used some better techniques, because a lot of it seemed cliche. They have to protect a princess or the world will end. It has been used plenty before in the Naruto series. But don't get me wrong it definitely is a smart idea.

The art was simply beautiful, and is WAY better than the series is animated. Yes though, it wasn't perfect because some of the things weren't so outstanding, like the CGI knights and the fire they use, but the movie was animated brilliantly, especially some of the fight scenes. The OST was good, but it never convinced me I would really want to download it and listen to it sometime, but what did was the ending theme by DJ Ozma, truly surprised by the fact they would choose a song with such J-pop sound, but it fit well surprisingly.

I think the acting was very well done by each character, but Naruto seemed more impulsive than he usually is. I think really Naruto took out a lot of the enjoyment for me, because he was just SO ANNOYING during the first 25 minutes of the movie, but it got much better after that, and the fights were great. All I could think of was "HELL YEAH!" when Neji pulled out the 64-palm technique and when Drunken Lee made an appearance. I just wish they would put more of the good fighting scenes from the movies and the fillers and put it in the real plot. The Naruto Shippuden movie had it's pros and cons, but if you enjoy Naruto you will probably agree with me that it was well done. If you don't like Naruto, just stay away.