Nanana's Buried Treasure - Reviews

Alt title: Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin

bentobox's avatar
Jul 29, 2014

I started watching this with reasonably low expectations, was delightfully surprised for a few episodes, and then very disappointed throughout the rest.

The animation quality is really nice and the premise was good but the characters and their development bring the show down - way down.

The main character is pretty much the same as any other male lead with one exception - he's a thug who doesn't want to be a thug anymore.  He worked for some type of family mob of theives, doing something... it would have been nice to know what.  And, through that life, he learned to fight from his "sister" who isn't actually his sister.  And by the way, he kinda likes her... but that just falls off the bus too.  He's trying to start a new life on this island which has tons of treasure hidden on it.  And his new ghostly roommate wants his help to collect her treasure and kill her murderer.

We get hints to her past through other characters' backstories, but never enough to satisfy.

Oh - and she eats pudding, plays video games, can beat up the male lead, and disappear whenever she wants.  But she can't leave the apartment.

The rest of the cast may as well be cardboard cut outs.  All cookie cutter personalities and archetypes shoved into a "gotta catch'em all" plot.  There's some action and adventure.  The best part of the show is watching them try to get the treasure from high tech ruins.  That's pretty entertaining.  I just wish that it lasted more than 5 - 6 minutes an episode - if there's even one in that episode.

The series keeps introducing new characters, as if they didn't have enough already.

At times, the main character was even drawn a little differently and I forgot who he was after returning to the show from a 2 week hiatus.  I actually forgot who the main character was and what he looked like.  That's how cookie cutter this show actually is, underneath all the gimmick.

The tell tell sign for me that the script would be horrible was when the "master detective" (who's a loli by the way), had to keep reiterating that she loves solving mysteries because she loves solving them.  Oddly enough, she was my favorite character.  She was flawed, a little mysterious, and enjoyable to watch, even if she was just another "detective" type.

As if the script and flat characters weren't bad enough, the series didn't have an ending.  There were some weird clips during the final credit sequence that seemed to hint that things were "over", but there was clearly no ending.  I'm starting to wonder if they thought they would get a second season.  I hope not.

RingoStarr1991's avatar
Jun 23, 2014

***THIS IS A SPOILER FREE REVIEW***

This for me was one of those delightful surprises that you just happen to come upon with no real hopes and dreams for. My initial thoughts going into Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin were, "Well it cannot be as bad as School Days right?" I was correct; it was infinitely times better.

Story: 7/10

I at first thought the main plot was a little weird but after the first two episodes it started to grow on me. The basic concept of the show is: on an island that boasts a new university for students, the treasure hunting club thing goes on puzzle solving adventures for "Nanana's" treasures. Nanana being the creator of the island (well the idea of the island I guess) is kind of the center of the entire show but she mostly plays a sideline role. What each episode boils down to is essentially the club finding a new treasure location or progressing certain character arcs. The show never felt slow and due to the great character interactions (more in the 'character' section), made it fun to watch. There are however annoying plot holes left after the season ends...

Animation: 9.4/10

Very good and crisp. The characters always looked so composed and beautiful/handsome. The colors were bright and vibrant, backdrops looked great, action scenes flowed nicely, and the eyes were awesome. Overall a beautiful anime to watch.

Sound: 8/10

The voice actors did an amazing job portraying their virtual counterparts in this anime. The voices seemed to match up very nicely with the personalities of their characters. Music wise I really liked the opening theme and most of the music used in the anime. It set the tone pretty well in almost all moments.

Characters: 7.8/10

This is one of those situations where a few bad apples really ruin the whole batch. Juugo, Nanana, Daruku, and Tensai are the real stars of the show as all of their interactions are a blast to watch. They however cannot make up for the bland Yuu, un-likeable Isshin, and the overpowered and underdeveloped Hiiyo. These three characters unfortunately really brought down the excitement level for me whenever they were present.

Don't get me wrong though most of the scenes are a blast to watch. You think you know a character's true intentions but then something happens that completely blindsides you. It is pretty enjoyable to watch.

Overall: 8.1/10

This was a true treat to watch. The hidden agendas, character interactions, beautiful animation, and tone setting voice performances really made this treasure hunting anime a joy to watch.

Enjoyment: 9.2/10

Thanks for reading my review! If you liked my writing style, would like to see some other reviews, or just want to talk, please stop by my page!

Sincerely,
Awesome Drummer

9.4/10 animation
7.8/10 characters
8.1/10 overall
DATABASEERROR's avatar
Jul 14, 2016

My anime reviews are always simple, short and straight-forward and is 100% spoilers-free.

Genres: Comedy, Romance, Supernatural

Additional Info: Ghost + Protagonist + Sherlock Holmes + Maid = this

Ending Rating: 90%

Short Review:

Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin or Nanana's Buried Treasure is a very good anime. From the cool and compose protagonist to the mind-boogling deduction of the "Master Detective" will surely hypen and excite you. With a little bit of sweet romantic moments then this anime will be a fit for your anime list.

9.5/10 story
9.5/10 animation
9.5/10 sound
9.5/10 characters
krofire's avatar
May 1, 2022

A-1 Pictures unwatchable adventure drivel hit our screens in 2014 with a tale of ghosts and objects with magical powers. It’s a visual mish-mash of “A Certain Scientific Railgun” (J.C.Staff 2009), “The Asterisk War” (also A1 Pictures 2016) and the whole Indiana Jones/ Tomb Raider kinda thing. The trouble is that it isn’t nearly as good as any of these anime and genres. It looks like one of those overly-complicated stories written by a committee that has thrown various genre elements in an attempt to win the largest possible audience. The problem being is that it is incomprehensible gibberish. We couldn’t even start to explain the plot to you. We didn’t understand what was going on most of the time. The cast seems almost endless and the premise of the story utterly implausible. Somehow we are meant to believe that this massive man-made island was constructed in the Pacific Ocean just so kids could go to school there? Why? Such a project would of course take generation to build and cost the domestic product of hundreds of small nations combined. But, no, apparently it was all thrown together by a few clever teenagers with money they raised by selling off treasure raided from archaeological sites. You can see why we have a problem with this. It is tosh. No thought has been put into making this even slightly believable. It is a wild and silly fantasy in the manner of Scooby-Doo but in no way fantastic.

Main character Juugo Yama appears to have been expelled from his mafia family so goes to school on the island. He rents an apartment which has a ghost – a pretty girl called Nanana Ruugajou. The ghost cannot leave the apartment and, unusually for a ghost, she seems to eat endless quantities of sugary desserts. Nanana was murdered in that apartment and cannot leave until her murderer is caught. Nanana was one of the original team of genius teens who funded and built the island. Many of the magical treasures that Nanana stole are hidden around the island behind an arsenal of fiendish and deadly traps. Juugo sets out to find the treasure and (maybe) help set Nanana free at the same time. To explain any more of this plot would be a complete waste of everyone’s time and energy. It is horribly complicated with a new character or plot-line appearing every few minutes to confuse you. The anime reaches no conclusion staggering to an end after even episodes. Hopefully somebody took it out back and put it out of its misery. Truly dreadful. A saga only fit for die-hard fans of the light novels.

Jocke11's avatar
Jun 20, 2020

Nanana's Burried Treasure started off really good and got me interested in watching it.
Going thru the episodes, it seemed a bit rushed and forced ending.

Overall , anime could've been better if it was extended , or somewhat some part of story fixed.

Ending is too forced btw.