My Roommate is a Cat - Reviews

Alt title: Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue.

Crua9's avatar
Mar 12, 2019

In short, the show spends about half or 75% following the writer from his point of view, and then the rest is from the cat's point of view. While during the writers point of view the cat is a normal cat. Like it doesn't talk. However, during the cat's point of view you can hear the cat's thoughts and see flashbacks from the cat.

In fact, the one thing I'm wondering is if this based on real life due to the writer thing.

The overall story seems to be how a cat changes an introvert to be a better person, and the person changes the cat to have a better personality.

There honestly isn't much bad I can say about this show. I think the only thing that really bugs me is the main person (the writer) his parents die and it doesn't change him. In fact, the very first part shows the writer is attending his parent's funeral (they died in some bus accident, so it was unexpected). He meets the cat while visiting the grave. But beyond that there is nothing. Like unless if he hated both his parent to start with or it was expected. Then there would be a good mourning period with the average person.

Like think about it. How would it effect you if both your parents who lived with you died in some accident?  (there is only 1 real ep they tackle this in a singleaafternoon. But as anyone knows, it isn't a quick thing to get over)

Like they shouldn't of added the parents dying. It didn't really add anything, and it opened up more questions than not. There is plenty of ways of having the 2 meet up that doesn't make the viewer ask why he isn't effected by his parent's death.

Anyways, if you don't like slice of life adult shows. Then you won't like this.

apoc9's avatar
Apr 16, 2019

This series was the surprise of the season. Even if I’m not particularly fond of animals I like cute cats. I have no doubt anyone, who likes cute animals is going to enjoy this story. It overflows with heart-warming cute and funny moments. One big thumb up for that. Each episode is told from a perspective of the main protagonist and then from the perspective of the cat and other animals. Usually an unexpected and funny perspective. The story is a small, but significant journey for the main protagonist.
Subaru Mikazuki, the main protagonist, is socially awkward introvert. He spent most of his life reading books and pursuing dream of becoming a novelist himself. He lived with his parents until they tragically died in a traffic accident, then he withdrawn from the society even more. He dedicated himself to his work, writing mystery novels, completely. The only people that associate with him in the beginning are his manager and his childhood friend - both guys. On a side note for this reason I dreaded it’s going to be one of those fujoshi things. Luckily this is not the case. Back to the story settings. One day visiting his parents’ grave, he picks up a stray cat allured by the food offering.
This new roommate sets him on the path, which helps him to come to terms with death of his parents. It also brings him one step out of his hermit-like lifestyle. I say, this part was done really well. I like the series didn’t overdo it, because at the end Subaru’s character growth is not done in overblown manner. He meets new people, possibly a love interest, but the show doesn’t go there. It’s only hinted at .
The show is slice-of-life, but the cute cat with funny viewpoint of the events elevates usual dullness of slice-of-life series. I like the cat is more like a bridge towards other people, rather than a replacement. However it’s just not the cat. Subaru has his embarrassing moments, but even if he sometimes fails, he does overcome some of his social anxieties.

As far as animation and music goes it’s ok. I don’t care about opening and ending.

Overall it’s an enjoyable anime to watch at least once. Recommended for females and anyone, who likes cute animals, introverts and simple story focusing on relationships.

Epimondas's avatar
Mar 31, 2019

At first glance, this anime and the title may not look like much, but it’s surprisingly good.  It’s sweet, cute, charming, funny, and a simple slice of life drama but there’s hidden layers and cleverness too.  You might almost think that’s what pets might be thinking when they do what they do.  It might not be such a far fetched way of thinking.  If nothing else, it can be said, pets have a positive effect on life.

There are moments, when Haru looks like she’s causing trouble or being a nuisance, but she has her reasons which are curiously logical and understanding in a cat perspective.  The funniest running gag is how Haru keeps thinking he isn’t eating well and thinks it’s a good idea to share.  I was skeptical too at first, but it’s a oddly captivating tale and hard to stop watching once you start.

Give this oddly titled charmer a try and you will be rewarded.  Between the sharp witty writing; realistic situations and events; and the effects on each other the cat and main character have, the story is easy to connect with.

8.8/10 story
9.5/10 animation
9.3/10 characters
zala's avatar
Jul 5, 2020

My Roommate is a Cat (Cat) is an excellent example of a slice of life (SoL) anime that has plenty to offer beyond cute cat stories and relaxed story telling.

I am always happy to watch an anime that knows exactly how to follow the common format for a story and go beyond the usual standard of quality with an engaging story, fun characters and heartwarming drama.

The quality of an SoL is based on taking a common idea and make seem special by examining its effects on people's lives. The idea of Cat is that a recluse adopts a stray cat. This sounds simple and potentially boring, but how Cat tells its story is unusual. Instead of telling the story strictly through the human side, the same story is told through the viewpoint of the cat. This gimmick allows the same story to be told through two very different viewpoints, and allows for more drama and comedy.

Cat is an entertaining SoL because it manages to balance drama and comedy within a small scale story. The cast of characters is small, the settings are small in number and the impact of the story is small. What made Cat enjoyable to me was that I was thoroughly entertained with such a limited setting. None of the episodes felt forced, the comedy rose naturally through the cast and story and the drama never felt so outrageous (for the most part) that I felt it was stupid.

As an anime, Cat has plenty to offer for the eyes. The art style is consistent, it never looks cheap, and the comedic parts were adequately over the top. The style is not groundbreaking, but it fit well with the sweet stories told. The opening and ending songs were very good and fit with the anime well. I'll keep them in my list of favorite anime songs and probably listen to them when I need uptempo songs.

My Roommate is a Cat is an anime that will probably entertain most anime fans. People who like SoL will find plenty to like, pet owners will enjoy it for its depictions of taking care of cats, and people who don't enjoy SoL may find this to be a great introduction to the good types of SoL.

Please watch My Roommate is a Cat. it's a fun time that will make you feel good, especially if you like cats.

MangaWolfX's avatar
Mar 28, 2020

This is my first ever review and even though i've watched a couple of shows before, i just had to write a review about this one! It's a hidden gem and i cant believe how obsessed i am with it!

If you have a cat, or just love animals, you will fall inlove with the show! i can also relate to some degree with the main character as he is antisocial and doesnt like to socialise. If you are looking for some fresh slice of life and funny anime or you like animals (cats) this is definitely for you. MC is novelist who is very shy and don t have much contact with people (afraid of crowds and so on..). It is little unique so we have story from MC perspective and cats perspective. MC get inspiration for his novel when he found a cat but the cat will have much more impact on his life not just because he will take care of her he will also start to interact with people which he doesn t want at the beginning and later we will see him willingly take the first steps when he "breaks the wall" when he came to realization to change his life and rid of his fears. Some episodes will be a little emotional. I would have scored 8 if anime had shown a little more interactions of mc and people around him in some episodes. The cat also has a little development from wild to tame cat.